1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Side Stand Fix.

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by 900streetfighter, Jun 13, 2018.

1. if you look at the Al part ie just the stand leg it pivots around the bolt. So it forms sort of a u shape when viewed from the front or rear and the bolt would go through the u near the top. In the valley of the u is where you add metal. Because this is where the Al part of the stand mates to the steel of the bracket. Ah: that’s as clear as mud isn’t it. I will try to draw something and take a photo.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. I have an old triumph street triple stand I will take a photo later and draw an arrow where the extra metal goes, if it looks right should make it a bit clearer, as the stands off the bike

3. So the suggestion is that the stand, with wear, pivots too far forward towards the front wheel and thus inwards, rather than simply leans too far outwards away from the left side of the bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I think I get it now, the plate is added at the closed end of the fork, stopping the stand pivoting as far forwards. So the wear isn’t taking place at the sides as I imagined but on the end-stop, as it were.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yep. You got it

6. Where the red line is, is that right?

Side Stand.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yes that’s correct

8. Ok, have made a 2.5mm stainless plate that Is now setting in some of the epoxy marine filler I have extended the stand with. It’s still there btw.
    Sticks like shit to a blanket.
    I was able to do this with the stand in situ, so if it works out it will be an extremely simple, elegant and cheap solution

• Like Like x 1
  9. that sounds good. If it works Any chance to blag a piece of your stainless as I don’t have anything the right thickness.

10. Tbh I'm not sure it's quite thick enough.
    Looking at the op's pics, his piece looks rather thicker.
    Haven't had a chance to road test it yet, as it were, as I've been waiting for the epoxy to fully harden.
    Will report back

11. I used an m10 square plate I’ll send a pic and measure it. They’re pence from any builders merchant etc

12. I used an m10 square plate I’ll send a pic and measure it. They’re pence from any builders merchant etc

• Like Like x 1
  13. My lean is now about right but I have a half inch extension to the end, so I reckon you will need at least 3mm
    It occurred to me that a 50 pence coin might work but it’s surprisingly thin, a new pound coin is too.
    However an old pound coin is perfect - 2cm x 3mm
    So take 1/2 cm off opposite sides of an old pound coin and you should be spot on :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. I made 1 x stainless plate 4 mm thick to go on the bottom of the side stand foot. Hack sawed to shape and filed it to suit the shape of the foot, drilled and tapped 2 x M4 holes into the stand and used counter sunk s/s hex screws to secure the plate to the stand. Put some nut lock on the screws before fitting, been on over 1 year with no issues . While I was doing it I also left a "tab" extension so its easier to hook out the stand when sitting on the bike as I always found this fiddly particularly with my RST boots as they have protection on the heel which always seemed to get hooked up on the footrest.

15. This should be the original link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/253685761262?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

Ebay now do something when the auction is finished, it doesn't show you the item that has just finished but shows you something similar that is still for sale. If you look though, you will see a blue bar that has written in it, The listing you are looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you. You will see the word "listing" is in red, click on that and it will take you to the original advert

The
    listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you.

17. So I fixed mine today. Initially I tried to cut and fix a piece of steel to the aluminium leg to fit into the depression & wear made by the steel end stop of the actual bracket. Too fiddly. So I bought some steel bracket plate from BnQ and cut to the exact size to fully fit in between the U of the aluminium side stand. I cut ever so slightly big and Filed down to a tight compression fit and matched he exact stand profile. Then I decreased all surfaces and applied some metal suitable adhesives. It has fully corrected the lean and I now dare park the bike. So far so good and I would say a solid and easy diy fix for a fiver and a couple of hours work. Can’t recvomend this enough to anyone having this issue. Thanks all for ideas and help

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yes, I'm very pleased with the result with my 999 - works a treat
    Extending the stand doesn't fully address the underlying issue, which is that the stand no longer stops at the optimum point in its arc, so it not only doesn't stick down far enough, it doesn't stick out far enough either.
    Was the bracket you used stainless?
    One reason I suggested using an old--type pound coin is that not only are the dimensions suitable but it will be corrosion resistant as well.

19. How thick was the steel bracket you used?

20. 29523286-8500-484E-9816-7981CB46FF94.jpeg
    Ignoring the gravel rash on the stand you can see the two bits I used from BnQ parts bin. Cut to size as needed.just under 4.5mm depth

Lean angle now perfect.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information