1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Side Stand Fix.

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by 900streetfighter, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Perfect job you guys! I need to do the same on my bike. Huge help.

2. Guys I have a question. Can I glue the stainless steel plate on the stand U without taking it apart, as it is on the bike?

3. Yes but try to make it an interference fit, so you have to tap it into place with a hammer.
    There's a lot of pressure on it, so glue will have a hard time holding it on its own

4. IMG_7665.JPG IMG_7664.JPG IMG_7666.JPG IMG_7667.JPG Using the recommendations posted above, I made a similar but simpler modification to my side stand.

Pictures say 1000 words, so I'll post photos of my project. Simply said: I used an M6x16 bolt and tapped into the stand at the "second" point of contact. Not only can I replace this bolt after excessive wear, I can shim it with washers as desired.

My "unknown" is how much I compromised the integrity of the stand by drilling through. Time will tell.

• Like Like x 3
  5. IMG_7668.JPG Final.

• Like Like x 2
  6. hi Dan
    How did you manage to drill a pilot hole for that as the upstands on the stand are tall and narrow diameter drills tend to be short.

also, this works by controlling the position of the “lever” on the stand by keeping it bike side, is that correct?

7. I have been running a similar mod on my 999 for over 10 years. I have had no problems and have replaced the bolt once.

8. Pretty simple. I taped two 10mm sockets together that had circular center holes. I continued wrapping tape until it was thick enough I had to tap into place between the ears of the side stand. Then used the a normal metal bit to drill through. It was about the exact diameter of the center holes of the socket so aligned perfect.

9. Update: Mod is working perfect. I also recently replaced the axle bolt and bushing. While not visibly different than the old hardware, that alone took up an unexpected amount of play. Might have been enough to just to replace that hardware...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information