1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Side Stand Mod

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by canaryman, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Hi, I've managed to solve the worrying lean angle on my 998 by changing the standard side stand for one off a 1098. Being short in the leg, getting the bike upright was always a problem. However on coming to a stop on the bike, another even more worrying/awkward problem has reared it's head, and that is the great difficulty in getting the side stand down. It's almost hidden under the bike and can take several attempts with my short legs to get it down. Is there any way in which a length of metal could be welded to the stand, as appears on both my BMW and Yamaha which would make a huge difference?... not sure of the actual metal that the stands made of, steel/aluminium? both of which I assume can be welded. Awaiting any helpful replies, thanks

2. silly question why didn't you just buy a new 998 stand:thinkingface:

3. The reason why I changed the original stand was that the 1098 was slightly longer than the 998. The problem of the hidden side stand has always been there, it's just that I'm fed up of constantly struggling to get the stand, be it 998 or 1988 down

4. ok i take your point of view,,i'm happy with my 996 stand,, good luck

#4 XH558, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  5. They are made of aluminium so it can be ally welded.
    I just bend over and put the stand down by hand.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  6. drill a small hole. Tap it and put a stud in it

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Same as above if struggling. The 848/1198 foot is bigger than the 748/998 one. Could the side stand be bent?

#7 bettes, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  8. We should have electrically deployed side stands by now. Its the 21st century ffs.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Mmm, thanks for the advice so far, welding/tapping and stud are both ideas that should work. As regards leaning over to push the stand down by hand, unfortunately, along with the short legs come short arms as well!

10. I fitted a 1098 stand to my 998 and it made bugger all difference.

11. I'm gonna watch this thread for ideas as i have exactly the same with my 749s. Both the lean angle and the short legs multiple attempts to get the stand down. I'm looking at welding extra on the bottom of the existing stand at the moment, i did see a picture where some one did it but i can't find it now. I have found a friend of a friend that can do this i just need to know exactly how i want it without it looking rubbish.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information