1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Silencer Removal Advice

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Bananaman, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Which heatsheild is vibrating? Or do you mean the alloy 'covers' on the silencer itself? Just be careful, that Alu foil will transfer the heat so if it's the under seat plastic heatsheild you're referring to the foil will transfer the heat from the tin cover to the plastic one & most probably melt it

2. Thank you, I'll get a look at my friend's 1299 as soon as I can & try to figure out if it will work. To me the rear 2 bolts look to be in the same place but the front one on top looks more central & raised, may be an illusion though as it's shaped differently

3. No, its the covers on the silencer itself.

4. Ah ok, were they ever taken off before? When I removed mine there was a 'cut to fit' fibreglass sheet between the cans & Alu slip on covers. Maybe they were removed by the previous owner?

5. try heatproof silicone between them? these sort of noises can mimick engine noises and give you the willies!

6. I just did my standard heat shield and purchased all new bolts carbon washers ect came in at about £30.@750steve if you look at my panigale bits for sale thread you will see I have a superleggra Carbon heatshield for sale, I bolted this directly to the subframe but I had to drill a hole in the subframe easy job to do and it still looks mint after 2 years a much better solution, when I get 5 I will dig out my standard 1299 heatshield and see how it is mounted at the front.

Edit, just been to have a look and there is one further mounting point on the subframe towards the exhaust manifold, so to fit the 1299 shield you would need to drill one hole in the subframe.

#26 simmytt, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks, I did see your thread already as I'm fishing about for a mint rear hugger, mine has bubbled with the heat from the exhaust & I can't bear to put it back on, might have to until one turns up. If you're selling the std heat shield I may be interested in it if we can find out if it fits, I'm kinda reluctant to go carbon as I won't bloody know where to stop!

8. I have never read anything good about carbon heatshields but the sl one has stood up well, I think maybe because on the 899/1199 the carbon is so close to the exhaust but when it is bolted to the subframe its a lot further away from the exhaust, I just had a standard 1199r carbon one fitted it was £240, I am selling the sl one for £100. image.jpeg image.jpeg

9. After beginning what looked to be an easy job, I am now searching through threads for advice after it all went pete tong at the first hurdle!!
    After letting my frustration get the better of me, I have rounded off the 3 flange bolts! As someone has mentioned, it would likely be alot easier if I took the rear wheel off but I dont have the axle socket required! I assume this can be bought from my local ducati dealership? I'll need to do some shopping tomorrow by the looks of things.... or I could take the easy way out and book it in with the professionals.

10. eBay. You're best to cut them off or soak them in a lot of penetratong spray back wheel and hugger off.

11. If you're local to worcester I have one you can use

12. Appreciate the offer mate but I'm up in sunny Scotland.

I did see the socket on ebay but I have spent the full week looking forward to getting my new exhaust on (sad, I know) so I dont want to wait another week. I'll give the guys at Ducati glasgow a call in the morning and see if they have any on the shelf.
    Ive left WD40 soaking into them so will try a bolt extractor in the morning if I manage to get my hand on an axle socket. If that fails, I'll more than likely spit my dummy and book it in.

13. I never got past the 3 flange bolts (the 6mm allen head ones where the silencer joins the header pipe), even with the rear wheel off and loads of penetrating oil on the bolts they would not move, even with heat and a pair of mole grips on them. I get the impression from viewing previous threads it will end up with the complete exhaust off, rear subframe off etc.

14. As said, eBay for the socket. Mine was on so tight I needed to buy a new impact gun to remove it.
    I've replaced mine with hi tensile bolts now & spent £20 on 50g of high temp grease, still gonna fit Ti bolts when I get the chance.

Have fun!

15. i dont know if iv got your patience mate! I hate giving up on things but I reckon I would have in your case haha i'll see what I can do tomorrow and will let you all know how I get on.
    Thanks for the replies

16. HELLLPPPPPP!

After spending another 3 hours in the garage, I have now hut a dead end! I managed to get the top left bolt out, sheared the head off the top right, and totally rounded the bottom bolt.

How on earth can I get the bottom bolt out? As the gap between the 2 silencers is narrow, I cant even use a socket extractor on the head of the bolt. Is there any other options or will I need to purchase a long drill bit and just drill it?

I assume if I was to drill it, I would have to re thread it afterwards?

flange.jpg

17. Told you so!

It's the only way.

18. You dont happen to have any pictures or know of a video explaining the steps? Ive took the rear tye off to give me space but dont know what do to next.
    Any help would be appreciated.

19. If I was in your shoes I would probably get a long drill bit as you suggested and try and drill the bottom one out. I don't think there is anyway of getting an angle grinder or mole grips near the bottom nut to snap the head off if I remember correctly. At least then you can get the silencer off which gives you some space to re-drill and tap the 6mm threads into the downpipe flange section that remains.

Another word of advice, be careful when you remove the two 8mm bolts that hold the silencer to the engine case, you need to remove the gear lever side foot rest to get good access to the bolt. If you try and get it out from an angle you will round the head off and then it's a major nightmare job to sort out. Use an allen socket set and make sure it is a good fit before you try and loosen it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Or try to hammer in a over size torx bit on a long 3/8 extension and hope you can get enough purchase to snap the bolt as i doubt you will get it undone,its one of those jobs you can spend hours fucking around at,better to take a deep breath and strip the subframe off,is not a difficult job and deep down you know its the best way to get access. Ducati dealers normally have all the parts for the heatshield in stock so replace all the fibre washers with new ones and bolts of you choice,with the 3 bolts on the exhaust just use nuts and bolts to reassemble,put it together on the bench and treat is as one item when you put it back together.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information