1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silverstone*spoiler

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by XH558, Aug 24, 2018.

1. but their romance will come to a end next year:) index.jpg

• Funny Funny x 5
  2. That is brilliant to hear, he should stay in moto gp for attitude alone, I retract all comments made regarding his possible tattooing exploits, this shows commitment and balls.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  3. Haaaaaaaa luv it

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Different times. Riders are already pissed off at more races. It was dark and cold and the track was grippier, they all said so. It was just the pooling and lack of water run off. Which, and I have been going for 10 years, it has always done. It’s always been bumpy in parts. It’s always been terrible drainage. It’s always pooled and the grip used to be worse.

Is it simply that other newer tracks, not designed on old airfields, that MGP and `F1 go to, are designed and built smoother and easier? That’s not Silverstone fault.

It was too wet at 1100. It was fine at 2. Riders bottled it. They knew the likes of Miller and Redding would push in and they could get caught up (Cal two years ago...) in someone else’s enthusiasm.

Notable that Rossi was OK to ride. Another reason why people like him so much; always willing to have a go.

Just to show how it works.....

• Like Like x 4
  5. Surely when the track was re-surfaced, camber should have been built into it so that water ran towards the edges? My useless council can even manage that. Or am I missing something? :thinkingface:

Fair play to him.............. Or (devil's advocate) is he just very clever? If you know somthing is going to be voted against and be unpopular, why not vote for it with the minority, sit back and polish your halo. No Rossi hate here, but he's a wily old dog. :)
    I see a situation at work where overtime is called at short notice. Nobody wants to do it, but out of a group of 20 people, 18 need to stay back for it to be possible. Now knowing that the majority of people will refuse, the switched on ones, say they are willing to work, knowing it's not going to happen. :imp:

6. Superb! :)

7. to be fair I do think Rossi would race sure he is good in wet was it donnington a few years back he did good

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I think so myself, he one of the better riders in the wet.

9. There is no way was it fine at 2pm. I was there and it was as bad as it had been all day.

The rainfall in itself wasn't the issue ( though it was still raining at 2pm in fact it had not stopped raining since 10.30 when it started) its the fact that the water just sat on the track that was the problem. They took the track clearing machine round right in front of me and within 5 minutes of them clearing it, it was as wet as it was beforehand.

Aquaplaning is a issue that no amount of riding skill, or race tyres can get round as the problem is that the tyre no longer has contact with the tarmac. You cannot steer or brake. That's bad enough in a car. On a bike its potentially fatal. On a 220 mph bike its just plain stupid to attempt to ride.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Only Miller and Zarco wanted to race.

All the other riders said no or didn't bother to make their feelings known.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Ahhhhhhh, now it all becomes clear why the rain never cleared all day. :thinkingface:

70c9dbdcf1f910fafe6fe9e4d33b0970.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. then today dont ride it at 220mph... you ride to the conditions best man wins!

fundamental basics of riding, putting your bike in the best position at the right speed in the right gear, all based around how you read the road ahead!

• Like Like x 1
  13. This is why they did not race.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. I’d suspect he was genuinely ambivalent. Will have raced in worse, years gone by, so happy for others to decide.

Re surface, there’s only so much they can build in for drainage. The circuit has a notoriously flat surface, with neutral and negative camber all over the place. Plus, if they build too much it runs inside, no where to go, and pools into huge puddles. Anglesey does that in some spats for that reason.

15. No it’s not. It was nothing like that come 2pm. I have friends who were marshalling....they all raced. They all have raced in worse. Their words, in the ground (literally) not mine

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. You know there was tarmac where it wasn’t flooded, and they don’t have to do 220 mph, right?!

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Well I look forward to seeing all you experts racing in MotoGP next year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  19. If your going to race at Silverstone there is a fair chance it’s going to rain - to be fair it did stop at 2:00 for about half an hour - why some moaned track inspection at 3:00

I have raced there in worse ( in a car I admit )

You race to the condition of the track, where ever, the person that has the skill and wants it most will win. Or sit in your garage and complain about the weather and on this occasion get the race cancelled and lose no points by being a over paid. Nobody said they have to be glass smooth surface.
    Complain it’s bumpy ? They have more adjustment on their suspension than any of us. Race to the conditions !

Rins and Tito got caught out as it only rained at stow that’s why they were going too fast for the conditions -

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Likewise. I look forward to not seeing you race alongside all those that bottled it :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information