1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single Seat : Grp Or Glass Fibre?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by wonky donkey, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Oronero carbon fibre on the mdina italia web page.

2. Hi guys, I've just bought a SL single seat from RicambiWeiss for my 95's SS750.
    Now I have to make 2 front support brackets. I intend to cut the shape from a 2mm steal sheet (is it tick enough? ) and bend it myself.
    Sooo here comes the question of dimensions... no offense gaz92, has anyone tried to make the brackets with these dimensions and do they fit?
    I would also really appreciate it, gaz92 if you send me the Autocad files :)
    I also find this thread:
    Superlight Single seat unit showing all the brackets etc in place. | Ducati Forum
    The dimensions offered by Gillan 900 are slightly different.
    So which one to use. :Banghead:
    I also wonder if just the front brackets are enough, do I really need the back brackets?
    Any other suggestions and recommendations are quite welcome, too!
    Thanks in advance! I promise to post pictures and share some experience if I successfully make them:)

3. I have fitted a RW unit to my SL. Some will say you don't need the rear brackets, and its enough to rely on the front ones plus the four fixings, but I would always fit the rear ones - the RW unit is quite thin, and the fixings are there to locate the seat, not take any loads. They are twats to locate accurately though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Those drawings I did were to make a very simple full size paper template, you could then make up two of these brackets which a few people have done to good effect but Gaz's version might be a tad more accurate than mine ; )
    Which ever one you use it won't be too far away and there is quite a bit of tolerance in the fitting : )
    The rear ones are a lot more of a fiddle to fit to a non standard seat unit as getting the position on the inside can be a right pain. In my opinion you can do without them if you get the front ones right but it's a personal preference. : )

5. Hi guys! So after some delay now everything is done and here is the process with some pictures included :)

First I cut with laser from regular 2mm steel (stainless steel wasn't available at the moment) the brackets, following the dimensions from Gaz's Autocad files. Then bent it with an abkant press (I have no idea if this is the right term of the machine). Then I mounted the rubber pads (OEM 86610111A - it's the same part as the tank pad) and here is the result:

20150912_114959.jpg

Placing the brackets and deciding where to drill the RW seat was a tricky process, which required some patience and prays, but in the end with some final manual adjustments everything fitted just fine:
    20150912_115536.jpg 20150912_144716.jpg

Then I made an extra hyper turbo budget seat... not bad for a first attempt btw: 20150913_152618.jpg

Painting the brackets...removing the 'rat' look :) :
    20150914_192056.jpg

Mounting everything together and final check before painting the tail:
    20150917_213948.jpg

And the final result:
    20151003_162700.jpg

20151003_162707.jpg

I would like to thank you all once again and especially Gaz, whose help and assistance were extremely valuable!

#25 dmpopov, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Daniel,

Realy please it worked, it looks like a bought one. Did you have any support to the rear of the seat or does it feel OK.
    I wonder if the bracket could be improved by joining the bits together to give a bit more strength.

Cheers Gaz

7. I haven't put anything on the rear for now. Everything fits really tight, so I will drive for a while before deciding whether to add any additional support or not. The first test drive for 150 km didn't show any problems ... apart from scratching the paint of the tail with my knee guards :(
    Some off-topic but does anyone have a file with the white number plate decals, ready to print?

8. I so want one of these! Any chance you'll be making more of them?

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Get a carbon one if you can find it, all the other types just smash to bits if you crash, carbon fibre is great stuff to crash with by comparison and easily repaired.

10. defo carbon. I spent 700 including paint on my GRP one by Diopa. First long ride out, the paint got a crack in it.

11. Did you do this in the end?
    My '92 Superlight never had the brackets nor any way of mounting them. AFAIK this changed in the '93-on bikes but I don't think they add any structural support. IMHO they just locate the rear of the seat a bit more securely & (hopefully) stop it rubbing against the brake light...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information