1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Slave Cylinder

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Wooly46, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Hi all, after recommendation for slave cylinder upgrade and where’s the best place to buy one? Cheerd

2. Hi Ian. Most people seem to go for Oberón. I had one on the 848 and worked fine. Got an STM on the 998 and is perfect with the slipper clutch...
    STM’s stuff is very good but maybe overpriced a bit.
    Oberon one’s work out at about £90 delivered.
    A few other brands out there so worth having a scan about.

Ian

3. Cheers Ian, where’s the best place to get them from ie stockists?

4. If you want an oberon one, off eBay. I popped into their place while I was working there once and they knocked me a couple of quid off their eBay price! Unless you can get a 2nd hand one, the prices are all just about the same.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I bought one from an Aussie company called racecon on eBay which was around $90. I think its just a generic one a few people sell but fitted spot on and the lever action is very light .It also came with the 10mm spacer required for pre 2000 models.

6. Are the after market ones better than OEM? I'm just wondering why you would change it

7. I found the Oberon better on my ST4.

Oem's failed but Oberon has been good.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lighter action.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yup, second that.

10. The ratio between master cylinder size and slave cylinder size gives you more mechanical advantage with the Oberon, giving you a lighter pull on the lever.
    You don’t get something for nothing though and the Oberon will lift the pressure plate less, so you need to make extra sure your fluid has minimal air in it or you will get clutch drag.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. What is the ratio on the std master cylinder?

12. Oberon does seem to be the choice of most but I have only ever had standard items on my own bikes and never had a problem with any of them. You'll soon get used to the heavier action if you ride often enough.

13. I agree with Hugh. Hydraulic clutches on our bikes are light compared to the cable clutches I used on bevels

14. Very true, I remember the first time I pulled in the clutch on a 900 bevel, a real man's piece of equipment. Tried a Laverda Jota a couple of years ago and that was much the same.
    Only thing I would do with the standard cylinder is take the piston out, smooth and polish the bore and make sure the later type seal is fitted to the piston.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information