1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Smt Or 1200s? Honest Thoughts Please....

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by JimmySP3, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Ok, I have been hovering round the forum trying to get a definitive answer for myself but I am struggling, I have recently bought the missus an urban enduro which is great but following her around on the SP3 isn't the most pleasant experience so I have given myself a budget of £8k for something upright that I can also go euro cruising on which puts me in Mint low miles SMT territory but I am Ducastista in my heart and I am torn between the two, I have noticed I can get reasonable mileage 2010 - 2012 models for that sort of money, If I wait til the end of the year there is a good chance I could get a reasonable 2013 for that sort of money, I have ridden & love both and could happily live & love either but I am put off by documented reliability issues of anything Multistrada related especially getting near the 20k miles mark whereas the 990 engine seems to literally go on forever.. head says KTM heart says Multi... what say you guys? Cheers Jimmy

2. I've been there and done that on both. I had a 2010 multi that I nicknamed the faultistrada. Horrendous problems and two very bad engine failures. I loved the bike, but wouldn't recommend anyone get a pre 13 plate.

After my experiences with the 2010, I went back to KTM (previously had a 990 SMR) and got a 2013 990 SMT. I've had many happy and trouble free miles. The only thing I dislike, coming from a multi, is the extra tank range.

It's sportier than the multi. Probably just as comfy (the wife prefers the KTM pillion seat which I didn't think would be the case). I've done £200 worth of mods to the SMT and it's turned it into an animal. Obviously for a touring bike, you don't necessarily want that but I absolutely love the bike now (I'm more sport oriented). As a tourer, multi has better tank range and slightly more luggage room (if comparing standard panniers) and a better character for motorway cruising. The SMT feels sportier, it really eggs you on. But you know it'll always get you there. I never get the fear when starting it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Thanks, what sort of mileage was your 2013 when you got it? I am looking at 2011 onward ABS models but love the orange frame 2013 model I see one for sale and its local to me but it is top top dollar for a 16k miles bike

4. At the price point you're at, and the reason for purchase, I would go KTM due to age and mileage (PS, not biased, I own a Multi :))

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. I paid £6999 for my 13 plate with 19k miles on the clock. I went with this one though as it had the panniers, top box etc. Miles like that don't bother me as I do about 7-10k miles a year myself. So long as they've been serviced, all's well.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. JH1986 , why do you constantly mention the Faultstrada , we get it , you got fucked , ENOUGH already .

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Multi. Purely because it does everything and is the better bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. It's catchy, got a nice ring to it.

I think I give a fair opinion. I'm not slagging off the range, just saying the later ones don't seem to have he issues.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I'd agree, if he's after a tourer (which it sounds like he is) and can stretch to the later model.

For back lane scratching and some touring capabilities, it's the SMT all day long.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. JH - for a man so disappointed in his Multistrada experience you certainly spend a lot of time on here?

All I can say is the Multi (both the early and later DVT) have been the most enjoyable bikes I've owned. Yes there have been niggles, but if you own an Italian bike with lots of electronics then these things can be an issue. If you want a fault free bike buy a Honda (and be bored stiff).

I learnt many years ago to buy with your heart, not your head... otherwise you will always think 'what if'.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Not at all disappointed in my overall Ducati experience though. As bikes to ride, they're up there as some of the best, and that seems to go throughout their entire range. Not something most other brands can claim.

I loved my previous Ducati bikes but it appears I'm no longer allowed to say I ever had a problem with the multi. All I do is give my honest recommendation that older and higher mileage early models should be avoided as if they do go, it tends to be big. I know some have hit higher mileage, good on them and I wish them all the best. As one of the people on here who has owned both of the bikes the OP mentioned, I'm able to give direct and real world comparisons between the two and not give opinions based on blurbs from bike mags or assumptions.

I've been very fair in saying that, I agree multi (but only later models). It sounds like he wants more touring and the SMT isn't exactly at home there. Although wind blast is miles better, the engine doesn't feel as good cruising at 90, too manic and the tank range isn't as good.

Wasn't it only yesterday, another 2010 multi dead thread. Buying with your heart is all well and good until you stretch your finances to an early model and get a catastrophic engine failure and are stuck financially. Maybe we should shut him up too, kill the thread and hush it all up. I even had dealers tell me off the record that they won't touch the early models. If you're at the top of your budget, I'd play safe and get the bike you know will work and stay working.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Hi Jimmy,

Before I bought my 899 Panigale I ran an SMT for almost 3 years and 26,000 miles, a good all rounder and would certainly consider another one.
    Follow the links in here for lots more reading / owners comments :-
    http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/351749-Trying-an-SMT-on-Friday?p=3596455#post3596455

I chopped it in not because there was anything wrong with the bike, I was just getting a bit bored, worst points I would say were the regular service intervals - 4,500 miles.
    Not brilliant on fuel, high 30's and it was an absolute bugger to keep clean, especially the underseat pipes.

Overall I feel the Ducati has better build quality, finish and components.
    I'm putting too many miles on my Panigale so I'm considering buying a 950 Multistrada as well for my long weekends away.
    Given a choice between a 990 SMT or a 950 multistrada I'd go with the multistrada.
    Interestingly the MCN 950 vs 1200 multistrada video on Youtube finds that the 950 is only 0.6 secs slower to 100 mph than the 1200?
    Also my thinking is its about £5k cheaper and there's less to go wrong on it??
    That's probably confused the fk out of you now, but the SMT is still a good bike and I'm sure you'd enjoy one.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Thanks fellas, appreciate all you comments! I really am backing and forthing with it!

14. can you not get a ride on them near you?

15. FFS, not all 2010 bikes are the same!

How many 2010,11,12 pre twin spark bikes do you think Ducati sold..? Off course the bad ones get the publicity, unfortunately that's a trait of forums like this

We all know you had a bad experience, and I feel for you, but that doesn't mean every bike is a lemon. I still love my 2010 Multi, its bloody wonderful and I have ridden the DVT, and for me I still prefer the earlier model (horses for courses n all that)

And by the way my dealer would snap my hand off to take my bike in

Give it a rest JH, you have made your point, on more than one occasion..!

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. I have ridden both, loved them both I live in Devon so lots of hooning opportunities, I think I am getting to "what would I get the most use out of?" Was planning on doing some distance trips in the next 12 months though but that isn't going to be the bikes weekly activity....

17. Distance trips, the multi is the better. It's just more comfortable sitting on a motorway. Better range, better engine (for that, as it's more serene at those speeds) and I'd say marginally more comfortable for the rider. Luggage wise it's better too.

The SMT will do the motorway stuff fine, engine note is a bit more of an issue though as it sits higher up the rev range at motorway speeds and because I've done the airbox replacement and taken the secondary flies out, it makes a lovely noise... lovely so long as you're not doing big motorway miles. If I were touring on mine, I'd love it but get off the other end a little more tired.

Weekend blast wise, I'd have the KTM. It's just more nimble and better handling. Don't get me wrong, the Ducati is very good and very impressive as far as the engineering behind it goes. It handles brilliantly for a bike of its nature, the KTM just does it better in that department.

Even after the issues I had, I spent the first 2 weeks of KTM ownership, missing the multi. That was right up until I set the suspension up for me and suddenly found the pace I was missing... and then some. Corners are this things element.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Yep, we are on the same page I think... I can always have the SMT for now and get a Multi down the line, thanks fellas I will bore you with my outcome ;-)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Just a little footnote to those bashing the basher.
    Part exe'd my 2013 TS with 3k on the clock for a 2015 DVT, anyway not long after I was introduced to the lad who then bought it off Riders in Cardiff not long after, and he seemed to be pleased with it.
    The next time I met him was in Two Wheel Services Bridgend earlier this year, so I asked asked him again how he was getting on with it, and guess what his reply was.
    He'd had so many issues with the bike and really wasn't happy with the way the dealers had handled it (never buying a bike off them again were his words) that he was part exe'ing for a KTM.
    p.s. Before I get bashed, I'm really happy with my DVT it's an absolute buzz to ride but I don't rely on it for daily transport. :)

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information