1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Smt Or 1200s? Honest Thoughts Please....

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by JimmySP3, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Late 62 plate (MY2013) 1200s owner here, owned for nearly a year, put 5k on it and couldn't be happier. Didn't pay much more than you've got in the budget.

Buy the Duc - you know you want it, and you asked on here so we would talk you into it anyway ;)

2. Jimmy, for that money you're creeping into KTM 1190 territory which is a more direct competitor to the Multistrada.
    I bought an SMT after test-riding just about every big adventure bike on the market, including a 2014 Skyhook Multi which I wanted to like but couldn't because there were too many small niggles, the sorting of which would really have pushed the price up beyond reach. There was the poor fuelling issue. I could have mapped that out but if so it would have been foolish not to decat it at the same time. And then there was the the centre stand issue which fouled my left foot. I couldn't live with that, it niggled like a loose tooth. The seat was very comfortable but too not roomy enough for me. I need more fidget room. And some other minor gripes which wouldn't matter if it was cheap, but it wasn't.. And then there was the reliability rumours. It just put the lid on it for me.
    In the end it was either an 1190 or a 1200GS for sheer competence if less fun. I couldn't afford either so I bought an SMT. Rode it for two years, loved it, put 11,000 miles on it and sold it for only £850 less than I paid for it. I have toured on it, which is really what I bought it for, but while it managed that, it wasn't ideal. Its a bike that demands engagement all the time. It doesn't want you to be a passenger, it wants to be taken by the scruff of the neck and ridden, preferably thrashed. It feels a little busy at motorway speeds and isn't the roomiest, though it handled the luggage perfectly. But it is bomb-proof, incredibly cheap and easy to maintain for a litre bike and the chassis is sublime.

A couple of months ago I sold mine and bought an 1190. Now they've discontinued that model and brought out the 1290 version, prices on the 1190s have dropped. I bought a mint '15 plate one-owner example with less than 3K on the clock for £9000. At the time I bought the SMT that bike would have been 11-12K. You can buy '14 plate nice ones privately for under 8K.
    Did a seven day 1700 miles trip on it recently and against the SMT, as a sporty tourer, it was the real deal. The standard seat and screen are not the best but they're relatively inexpensive fixes. The star is the engine. Its got a lot more grunt and midrange than the SMT and a blistering top-end. Its a big tall bike, feels taller than the Multi, but the handling is fabulous. IMO its still the best handling big adventure bike it its class, better than the equivalent Multi and the electronics are simple and unobtrusive. Its a rapid, grunty, sure-footed all-round bike and an effortless sporty tourer. My only criticism is the funny rim sizes which restricts tyre choice but mine runs fine with Roadtec 01s.

In your position with that budget I'd rather have a mint SMT than an older, higher miles Multi that may or may not become a can of worms. If the budget was 12K that might be a different matter. But if you're minded to go with the SMT, consider the 1190 as well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Can't fault your logic there Gimlet, two of my mates have 1190 adv's and they go like sh1t-off-a-shiney-shovel !!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Some great advice from all, great idea about the 1190 adventure but after a lot of thought I have decided also that I want something between the hyper & the multi size wise so I have done a deal on a low mileage SMT, Thanks again fellas!

• Like Like x 2
  5. I doubt you will be dissapointed with the ktm, enjoy, would have been my choice also

• Like Like x 2
  6. Sound,..lets have some pics when you get it then!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Good choice. Another SMT gone to a good home. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks all! I will "discreetly" post pics when it arrives :laughing:

9. Link to the bike you bought ?? Good choice by the way !! :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. On a Ducati forum?!? Crazy!...

:kissing_heart:
    IMG_1330.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  11. And....Thats a complete post without bitchin about the Multi....See, you CAN do it !! Well done Sir !! :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  12. I've done many, some even helpful. People just focus in on negativity ;)

13. Just to stick up for @JH_1986 if you can see by the number of posts he's been on here for quite a while as i have. Its a friendly site (i havent seen many run-ins myself) but the fact that he doesnt have a Duc anymore doesnt really matter TBH.....i was between Hypers for about a year but found myself regularly visiting here, well, because its a good forum. The fact that he does mention it now and again is only because the person thats asking may be a new member. Personally if it was me in that position then id definately want hear about it so i would say the harsh replies are unwarranted. And, in a way its good that a certain problematic Duc may appear once again....i believe that Ducati themselves in some shape way or form look at this site so if one of their bikes gets a bad rap and others hear about it then good - itll keep'em on their toes...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Thanks Comfy,

I have indeed been here a while. I've helped people out with problems and offered advice etc... I've had forum members round my house to help with their accessory wiring too. I'm not a complete arsehole. I had a large thread, regarding my issues. Outside of that thread, I've not exactly ranted and raved. At the time, I may have a little but you can understand my being a bit peeved at being told to do one by DUK and the dealer. Since then, I've been very careful to only pipe up when people ask about problems, if it will help in some way or if the previous posts instigate it in some way. I don't think I uttered a bad word at my first engine failure, as the dealer handled it and I accepted they we're doing what they should.

No, I don't have a Duc anymore, but it's still one of the best sites going and is more a friendly community of bikers. Lots of helpful advice and lots of friendly banter. I'm sure the guy who's just had his bearings and crank fail, would loved to have heard more from people who've had the same.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Yep - reading through his thread id kinda do the whole lemons and lemonade thing and take the engine from a newer model and when he wants to sell, use it as a plus point....didnt you say that there was a part upgrade for the main bearings that failed....which if his motor was in a salvageable state he may have been able to do...

16. The twin spark engine has a different bearing part number and slightly different design. I compared the two manuals. Lots of people talking about the core t pressure not being applied to the bearing. It could therefore all come down too luck of the draw as to how the factory did it and checked their work.

17. To be fair to jh, If I was to throw out, which bike has the highest amount of, "help my bike has a problem" pound to a penny of horseshit, the 1200 strada would be the bike most members would guess/suggest. So in regards to the busiest single bike part of the forum, the strada is the busiest single bike sub fora

My own situation having bought a ds 1000 with it's own quirks and devices, is that given what I've seen in here, I would not buy a 1200 strada, some however think they are the best thing since slice bread. There is room for both owners experiences and expectations as well as potential owners expectations

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I loved (and still do) my 2011 Multi. Never a problem encountered with 21000 on the odometer except for a fuel injection relay died in the rain which I could have swapped over if only I'd known.
    My biggest issue (another thread) was the dodgy trade-in options - local Ducati dealer refused it, and other marque dealers seem to have to bung them straight to trade.
    On the forum issue, despite losing my Ducati a year ago, I still return here regularly as it's a great, friendly, useful and knowledgable forum.

19. I'm sorry JH, but I have to say, even with great amounts of stretching of my imagination, no way could I call that bike pretty--------- "Damn it's ugly"
    But if you love it, that's enough :upyeah:

20. Jh and comfy, chill, it's all tongue in cheek. ;)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information