1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Smt Or 1200s? Honest Thoughts Please....

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by JimmySP3, Jul 17, 2017.

1. But it's orange and lairy... :cool:

All jokes aside, I actually put it about on par with the pre dvt multi looks wise. I prefer the pre dvt multi to the dvt too. All (and I mean most things on this earth) are better looking than the original multi.

You want stunning, buy a panni... MV made their version of the multi a looker, but as a range they're hardly melting hearts. It's the front ends.

2. Did someone say this was a Ducati forum?
    DSC00772.JPG

DSC00819.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  3. Please refer to my previous post :confounded:

But if it floats your boat, good on yer :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Horrible things!

FB_IMG_1500575137027.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  5. To be honest, and this being one of the first to side with the Ktm over the multi in this thread, but the Ktm ain't no looker. As purely asthetic things, and only IMO, but Ktm's ain't pretty, and Ducati are a much better looking breed on the whole , however, at the price point the OP was referring to, then he's probably made the right choice. But given a larger budget, it may not have been so clear cut.

6. I've never owned one of those new fangled water cooled multis only 2 fuglystradas. I paid £6250 for a mint 2011 from a KTM dealer. Love Ducatis but I felt that the SMT represented better value.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Never thought the 1190 was a looker but its growing on me. Apart from that can.
    Helps to have ridden it of course..

DSC00990.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. cheapest part of getting a ducati is when you first buy it. ktm, bmw, or others good alternatives but they wont be a ducati with all its problems and passions when theyre running get one if you can id say just the parts and performance outweigh reliability and woes about running costs, you're not buying a nissan family runabout...

9. Each to their own on the looks! I think the SMT is cracking looking but then again I love the Paso too!! .. I will get my coat : unamused:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. I used to have a Paso as well...:eyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. My 2010 Multi is still going at 33000 miles or so. Only one big issue at the 21k mark with some ECUs that went tits up. Been thinking about replacing it for ages but it's so bloody good I just can't find anything that's better enough to justify the cost. Just did 1000 miles on a KTM1190R around California which was orright. Wasn't keen on that 19inch knobbly up front and the riding mode reset every start-up was annoying. Good bike but was it better than my Multi? Nope!

Want to try a 1290GT though I must admit! :)

12. Try a 1290 S as well if you like the upright format. The 1190's replacement but no knobblies and cast wheels, semi-active suspension and programmable rider aids. And more midrange torque than a 1299 Panigale..

That headlight is still decidedly odd but according to those who have you have done so, all is forgiven when you ride it in the dark.

#52 Gimlet, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Well I have the 888 SP3, and once ridden you realise that they don't get any more passionate than that, in all my years of Ducati ownership I have never had one let me down, In all honesty I only have real passion for the Cagiva era bikes, raw & rattly is how I like my Ducati's.:cool:

14. Hated mine , had it a year 8k miles , lots went wrong with it , lost a fortune and was glad to get rid of it.
    Engine and gearbox however were superb , everything else was simply just not for me , nowhere near as much fun as the MTS

15. If you get either you'll be happy I've got a 2011 with nearly 50k and the crank and bearings are fine , I've had a GS that was shite my frienda KTM SMT was shite and his replacement KTM 1290 has had a number of issues . As with all bikes if you get a lemon like some on here it's awful but get a good one and iMHO its a different class to SMT.

Personally I'd go cheaper higher mileage multi and not worry.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Which adds some nice balance to the last two pages of 'mts is shit, buy the ktm ' that just happened :)

Numptystrada
    Fuglystrada
    Faultystrada

All fairly easy and common nicknames across the years :upyeah:

17. Fingers crossed as I dont want to tempt fate - Multi 2013 , 29600 miles.
    No issues, no problems, not washed very often but used a lot.
    Doing my own service and not cutting any corners.
    Getting ready for the 30k big service.
    These bikes should be good for 100K+

There are thousand of happy multi users but keep quiet. Its more interesting to post about the problems......

Hope I wont be sorry for posting this :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. You never hear of famous Austrian designers do you :)

Unless, of course, you count Hitler who was trying to design the perfect race :eek:

19. And he was an artist... don't think orange was his paint colour of choice though.

20. I don't want a bike built by designers, or artists, I want one built by engineers. Preferably sober ones who can work a full day without wine, a snooze or going on strike.
    Which is why the French don't build motorcycles. Well, not proper ones, just a handful of weird, expensive, farmhouse craft-built cheese-smelling ones that no-one actually buys.

#60 Gimlet, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information