1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 So Had The Suspension Fixed And Serviced

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by PeterT, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Try K Tech.

TB

2. Gareth at York, reactive suspension, I do know he is very busy right now but might be able to help you.

3. Yeah I tried him previously .......wasnt too helpful at the time but seemed very distracted on the phone tbh. I may try him again.

4. He is a nice bloke but like all people doing that job the phone is a major problem when working, alternative is just turn up for a face to face, that shows some degree of seriousness from you

• Like Like x 1
  5. you say you have the 100nm spring fitted, did you check the number on it to confirm this ?
    I ask as I've never heard anyone else say the 100nm spring is too soft.

My next suggestion would be to wind on an additional 3 mm to 5mm of preload and try that, rather than try to find a stiffer spring.
    This is an easy way to see what you need. If its still too soft add more.

I added 5mm on mine to reduce a bit of the sag when loaded and found it too much so backed off to ~3mm. To be honest even that is too much for solo riding, but it makes it perfect when 2 up and loaded, which is where it matters to me.

Give that a go, it costs nothing except time and a C spanner ;)

6. John

Actually your response is quite relevant (and hopefully a Doh moment) , I may have got lost in the 'replace' focus as I started off with looking to replace the perceived 85Nm spring. The 100Nm is definitely fitted as I have the scrubbed knuckles from rotating the spring to read it!

I have also maybe got a bit lazy as my last bike had electronic suspension, easy to forget the basics. I will indeed try adding some preload to the spring as I haven't touched it yet.....and I should.

Tieing the two most recent responses together I will probably have a ride down to York and get the suspension set up by someone that knows how to twiddle properly! Ha Ha .

I will have an initial play and revert, hopefully it will be to don the noddy hat and say its fixed.

Nige

• Like Like x 1
  7. Not I daft as I feared (unfortunately) , the shock is not adjustable with a c spanner. The preload is adjusted by the remote which give about 5-8mm. Has anyone wound the spacer down on the main body of the shock? I am guessing the shock needs to be removed and the spring compressed or removed to do it (if possible?)

8. You can order a custom made spring for the PP. 2” inner diameter, 200 mm free length, weight. I paid $150 here in U.S. Just send an email or call, usually take 2 weeks.

http://www.cannonracecraft.com/

9. chapster, you might have to take the shock off then, because I doubt you will get spring compressors in there to do the job on the bike, even with small ones. It could we worth a shot though if you like a challenge and have any knuckle skin left :):yum

I doubt you have to actually wind the preload adjuster block itself down, because it looks like that would interfere with the head of the TTX where the other adjusters are.

Have a look here to see what I mean: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...aw3U4toXiptZnRgmv_voSfbL&ust=1550149959470317

Bear in mind that is the electrically adjustable one, but you could also take a look art the following link (scroll all the way to the bottom and work up a few screens, some pics of the manual adjusters)
    http://www.propilotsuspension.com/index.php/tech-tools-pics/

I took my shock off to have the hydraulic adjuster seals replaced and did the preload at the same time. That was a while ago and cant remember how I did it, but know I needed a C spanner.

10. Well, i finally managed to spend some time with the new beastie and have a suspension twiddle. The bike is transformed.

Two up, i have the pre load wound up to full, i had the compression damping up at 16 and it only bottomed out on fast heavy bumps. (left a little bit of a witness mark on the spring where it rubs against the hydraulic preload hose too, which is not good). With 22 clicks available i think it will be fine.... Did 120 miles over very mixed roads and it was very good at slow/moderate rate. Once the wick was wound up it needed a bit more damping as stated above but i am pretty confident it will dial in. Might need it all winding to max (or close by) but that's what it's for I guess.

Just goes to show, I was ready to throw money at this as I was convinced it needed pre-load. Turns out I was wrong, and just had to get back to basics. The S1000XR i had prior to this has made me fall into the trap of 'press a button and accept the changes'...Now, it just needs to breath properly, so off to look at de-cat threads...Thanks for all the input chaps. :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information