1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Classic So .... I Really Fancy A Scrambler

Discussion in 'Scrambler' started by Coffey, Dec 31, 2017.

1. He's right you know. The OEM tyres are awesome. They stick like shit to a blanket.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Yes - OE Knobbly tyres are great for the bike - grip and handle fine - just 2500 to 2700 miles on a set...

3. I have a Scrambler Classic and up until recently also had a 1200 Multi. My wife hated the Multi. She thought it was too high and she felt exposed on the back of it. She referred to it as the "Multistorey".
    By way of contrast she is quite happy to do a 200 mile day on the back of the Scrambler. In size and weight it is not much different from the BSAs I used to ride. Last year I did the NC500 (again) doing about 850 miles over 3 days with no problems apart from a sore arse by the 3rd day. The OEM seat is far too firm.
    Like others I found the standard suspension too harsh and have replaced the rear shock and fitted Andreani cartridges and springs to the forks, although the OEM set up did work better 2 up.
    The standard tyres are excellent with a soft compound to get the grip but don't last long. I got 2,500 miles out of the rear and 4,500 from the front.
    If you are looking for a bike to tootle about at a relaxed pace and take the occasional passenger the Scrambler will fit the bill.

• Like Like x 2
  4. I am/was in the same boat as you, would like a Scrambler for two up,
    Mrs Roadtrip came out on my 848 which is horrible for two up with a postage stamp seat/engine braking made for a crap ride, i also have a
    748 which she prefers as it has a much larger seat and i find smoother to ride two up but i am still in the race position head down wrist ache etc when two up,

So though we would test ride a Scrambler, got one from my local Ducati dealer and had the bike for 3 hours,
    What i found was and have read many times is when riding i didn't know how to position my arms with the handlebars lean further back or lean more forward so i would change the bars to a lower set.
    The seat on my own or two up was really bad it felt like a piece of wood with a bit of vinyl wrapped around it, that would also need changing
    if i got one.
    Mrs roadtrip was not keen on the amount of space when riding ( there is none) she found it a bit to cramped and a tight squeeze pushed up against me, then both crash helmets are touching a couple of times and she got a bit cheesed off with having to keep looking around my crash helmet to see whats going on, as if you can't see can make the passenger a bit uneasy.
    These are things that perhaps could be changed or get used to after a period of time?

What i am thinking of doing next is to test ride a Monster as i feel the riding position for me will be very good (compared to the 848/748 not race position,head down) with lower bars, also ride height for the passenger so she would be able to see better and feel she has bit more room.

#24 Roadtrip, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. A bit more about the last 24+ months of Scrambler life...

The suspension is basic but keeps the wheels on the ground at sane speeds, the tyres wear out at what feels like an unreasonable rate (as said) but they give the bike a very confidence-inspiring grippy feel so as a fun bike rather than a serious bike I accept that as the cost of a ticket to the dance. Mine is a 2015 Classic and the out-of-the-box mods I made were the OE bellypan and crossbar for the handlebars as they look good, and then bolted on some Evotech performance bits (headlamp guard, bar ends, crash bars, front and rear bobbins, rectifier cover and oil cooler cover). A light smoke Dart screen was added and then I played with exhausts, trying so far the OE (hit the deck far too readily, especially 2 up), a Zard low level (also hit the deck) and currently a Racefit Growler with a baffle (bellypan hits the deck before that does). There's a high-level Termi sitting in the garage for "one day when I'm bored". I'd like a little more from the bike in terms of a fuel gauge / range calculator / gear indicator, but that's not on offer so I don't have it.

The front exhaust pipes discoloured so I've polished those and I have a Rexxer remap which initially I thought "meh" too but actually gives it a decent midrange hike (top end I've seen 128mph on the speedo, accelerates like an insulted monkey still on standard gearing but now running a Renthal sprocket and chain kit).

At the end of last year I've fitted OE heated grips and a Sargent seat (the original Classic seat wears quite quickly and isn't leather so doesn't get patina, just shabby). My longest day in the saddle was about 300 miles and it wasn't unbearable but it wasn't great either, so I'm hoping that with the reprofiled seat pan that the Sargent does the job - it seems like it's the recess for the toolkit under the saddle that pushes you into an uncomfortable position as much as the padding / cover shortcomings. For luggage I had the Scrambler Classic bags (made by Givi) and they were a very good solution but just a bit small. I've just swapped over to Kriega saddlebags and TBH I'm not thrilled so far. I thought that the OE Scrambler ones looked neat and I left them on pretty much the whole time, the Kriega ones are flappy and have ugly straps across the rear seat that I'm worried will mark the seat permanently.

After 29 months I've no intentions to sell, and am enjoying making the bike mine over time. Warranty and faults wise I had a clutch replaced at 3k miles, the rear mudguard replaced as the bracket holding the number plate hanger cracked and the side stand bolt replaced as a recall. We're in discussion with Ducati about the wear on the OE seat as I don't think that 5k miles is an acceptable life expectancy for a motorcycle seat. My bike is babied so it should be looking like new still, like the rest of the bike. The front pipes discolouring was annoying and fasteners generally don't seem too hardy. I ACF the bike regularly so there are very few age-related marks so far. The heatshield mounting cracked on the rear header so Italia welded that for me at the last service. I don't think it should have fractured but it was made good by my dealer and for that I thank them.

Next mods are likely to be suspension, either K-Tech or Ohlins I reckon but first I'm tempted to play with a weight-appropriate spring on the rear and some Putoline or Ohlins fork oil up front with the forks dropped 4mm through the yokes as recommended by @Sambighair. The shiny shiny suspension bits will be nice from a pride of ownership perspective but if I can make the OE stuff work better for me then that'd be great. My only real complaint is that it's harsh 2 up (even with preload fiddled with) and the front gets a little vague at speed and pitches a bit. Can be fun though if you're in the mood for feeling like you're riding the wheels off the thing.

It's a really cheap bike, if you adjust your expectations accordingly and treat it as a fun machine that is fast enough and handles well enough then I don't think you can fault it. On the other hand if you hop on and expect a £7k Ducati to have the same dynamics as a £17k Ducati then you're going to be a bit disappointed... but I'd argue that the fault doesn't lie with the bike in that case.

The only alternative in my eyes is the Yamaha MT range or a smaller KTM like a 690. Am sure that there are pros and cons to each and all, but I'm a Ducati fan and I like the experience of riding and owning them. I'm lucky that my local dealer (Italia Moto in Lincoln) is great and takes good care of me, as the feeling I have is that Ducati UK are pretty rubbish at looking after their customers. Ducati in Italy are better, but having to route things through DUK slows the job up.

IMG_20171227_104200.jpg

Think that's about it really, it won't suit everyone but I love mine very much. :heart:

• Like Like x 6
  6. For a run to the coast for a bag of chips 2 up is great, but really truly I don't see the Scrambler as a serious machine for a pillion. We have a GS for that, and SWMBO prefers the back of the R1 to the Scrambler as she's comfier, can see more and it has a bigger seat...! :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wot 'e said :)

8. So I really fancy a Scrambler too. I have just agreed to buy a very smart 1973 Scrambler 450 bevel, in the yellow and chrome colour scheme. Due to collect it next weekend, and looking forward to riding a thumping big single once more.

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. @Fire3500
    I thought it was common place to hit the disagree button, normally i just post my own opinions as we all have them.

Knobbly tyres are a hybrid tyre, neither best on road or off road, the guy wants to tour with his mrs on the back.. knobbly tyres .. really?

Theres a reason cars and bikes have “road” tyres and “offroad tyres” they may be ok but past experience on other bikes they get out of shape far quicker at speed than a dedicated road tyre, most reviews, all tyre manufacturers will agree, a hybrid of both is master of either and if he aint going off road, stick to the road tyres and keep the mrs happy.

They wear out because they have to make them that soft to get any road performance out of them, if you like them thats cool, personally there not the best for the road.

The disagree button is just below ..

#30 Shutty, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  10. The MT60s may look like knobblies but certainly are not, it is only a tread pattern to look like them. Real knobblies are horrible on the road. There is nothing wrong with the MT60 as a road tyre.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sorry dude, didn't mean it to come across as arsey. I just really like these tyres and TBH if you've not tried them then you're missing out a bit as they're mega. That's all :)

They're the same compound as a Rosso Corsa by all accounts but I don't know whether that's quite true as they are good in the wet, unlike the RC's. So as Derek said, they're not an off-road knobbly compound. I agree with your point that those make poor road tyres. The Pirelli MT are a very cool tyre and help the Scrambler to acquit itself very well on the road. :)

12. Great write up @Fire3500, thoroughly enjoyed reading that :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Totally agree with @Fire3500 summary, I briefly had a scrambler (3 months) and was expecting more and was disappointed in the whole package,owning a 1299 and a Multi I just felt it was a little dull and dare I say cheap , but I will be the first to admit I should have looked at it for what it is a entry level built to a price Ducati and not comparing it to my other bikes.I ended up buying a r9t for my fish and chip run bike and it is a better bike for me than the scrambler.

14. Agree, always been very helpful when popping in and on the phone, they now have my bike in and again have been 100%, although I havn’t got it back yet o_O:joy:

15. Many thanks for all the replys and opinions chaps, please keep them coming!! Although a trip up to Italia Moto and some test rides willbe next on the list. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  16. For sure will do :upyeah: however if you want ro drop me a PM with the basic details that would be ace! :)

17. I have a FAT and a café racer they are cracking bikes took the CF to the Manx

18. Maybe you should get one of each Pete?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information