1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Classic So .... I Really Fancy A Scrambler

Discussion in 'Scrambler' started by Coffey, Dec 31, 2017.

1. The one I hope to acquire shortly is much like the upper one in the photo, @Derek . I am not really attracted to the new type Scrambler - Multistradas are more my cup of coffee.

2. @Pete1950, after buying the Classic new in May 2015 I had both a Multistrada and the Scrambler until I sold the Multi last summer and replaced it with a new Supersport. I always found the Multi a bit on the high side. The SS with it's low seat and low weight is a delight compared to it and with the panniers fitted has taken me to Germany via the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg and back so far.
    The Scrambler is a super compliment to either of these bikes.

• Like Like x 2
  3. So today I have just bought the yellow 1973 Scrambler 450 bevel which I had my eye on. Already fitted a few bits (buckled-on fabric tool bag on the left, correct silencer, air filter element, rubber gaiters over the rear suspension units) so it is virtually standard and correct now except for the handlebars which are too low. I have discovered one problem: the rotor for the (non-standard) electronic ignition had come loose, so the ignition timing was varying arbitrarily. Once I have set the timing accurately I expect it will run better, and stop kicking back. And once I have sorted out insurance and tax*, I'll be able to take it for a ride. Only if the weather is fine and dry with no road salt though, for this bike!

Now taxed (cost: £0) and insured as at 9/01/18.

#43 Pete1950, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Bloody electricity, eh! o_O
    Congrats Pete. Nice bike. :grinning:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Look forward to seeing it at the Essex meet :upyeah:

6. Make sure you post up some photo's Pete, I love the look of these old scramblers.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. This photo was supplied by the previous owner, and shows this 450 in Spain some while ago. It will look a bit better than this by the time I've finished with it.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  8. Looks a beaut Pete, congratulations.

9. Lovely, enjoy.

10. Very nice Pete

11. That looks fantastic Pete, it will be hard to make it look better, but I am sure you will manage.

12. Update .... forecast looking good for tomorrow, heading up to Italia Moto for a test ride o_O .... Mrs Coffey is coming with me though, although its looking good so far! As long as they dont give me the bill for my 848 work whilst she is in earshot! :joy:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Then you can offset that cost with a bargain of buying mine without a dealer mark up :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Moderator mark up is far more damaging to your pocket. o_O

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Opinions please ...... After test riding, and looking a little closer I really fancy the red icon with a few subtle mods .... and I have found this one that happens to have all the mods done to it? What do we think? All seem legit? Any opinions welcomed! Oh its £6k ....

C7FEC276-7F11-4494-8081-D40DEE7D71F2.jpeg

6967074D-B099-451E-AB47-E6B354F787AE.jpeg

D8AAB5C7-8C0A-4790-9085-2DC25849E49A.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  16. I think the demo Icon is up for sale at Italia, but that's yellow. Obviously you're interested in the slower red variant... ;-)

For £6k with that mileage and mods I don't think that's a bad deal at all. There's a good saving over new, plus someone else has paid for the first service and there's about £600 worth of bonus bits. Are the original parts supplied too? If so then I fail to see how you could go wrong! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Yes all the original parts supplied. I thought it was a good deal. Italia are clearing the last new red icon at £7k, which I thought about, but I kind of thought this has some nice bits on it I would like, initial hit gone and first service paid for. :upyeah:

18. Fully agree. Sounds like a deal and leaves enough in the pot for you to add more flourishes as you see fit!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Old post, but i found a photo of when Hyside let me have a test ride.

9E7CDF68-8603-49EA-9732-7B261F47A517.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information