1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So Thinking Of A Gs? Purely For....

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by PeterT, Apr 30, 2020.

1. I have one year left before my son will get his car,so i guess i want to take him touring with me on a bike. I recently sold my Multi which suited this job well abeit the fuel consumption and reliability as it was getting older. that aside it was a fantastic bike. I am looking at the GS as it seems the right tool to use, and not looking to own it for more than a year so wan't something that is going to sell well afterwards. Any other suggestions or experiences welcomed.

2. No experience of owning one but one of the lads from the fire service group I do a yearly tour with recently got a decent spec one to do last year's pyrenees trip. I must say it was extremely comfy, managed to get a good shift on and I really quite liked the rugged functional look of it.

They're pretty much the best you can get in the category, it's just becoming more and more finessed as time moves on

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Great bike for it. Nothing wrong with the 1200 version.

Electronic suspension is quite inferior to the Ducati system, and brakes are odd but do the job.

They need to be revved a bit, have loads of low down grunt and easily consume miles. Parts don’t seem too bad for price or availability. Lots of non OE stuff out there

4. Traded a 15 plate GS in for my 950S Multi , great touring bike, solid . good handling , comfy, good fuel consumption if not too high up the revs. Brakes excellent , loved the front suspension - no diving. I just was looking for something smaller & lighter. That's why 2/3s of the folk you see in Europe run them..

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Get yourself a 2013 onwards LC model, completely redesigned model and all the better for it, it has the LED headlight and electronic gadgetry that makes riding a joy, wont go into all the spec, but plenty to keep you busy on long journeys. Most comfortable bike ive ever owned/ridden. Ive owned four. Fuel consumption was an average 52mpg, for a 1200cc bike is pretty good. Of course theres BMW's legendary build quality, some bike have had issues, my only gripe is the rusting of bolts. Trust me if you get one, you wont look back and wish you had bought one sooner. This is the model you want to go for

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-BMW...973504?hash=item4455d7ab00:g:6V4AAOSwzkReQZI7

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Toured Spain and Portugal with a group last year that included 2 new GS 1250s which the BMW riders (of which there were far too many IMO) all went gooey eyed over. Big step up from the 1200 apparently, very capable, reliable during the tour and did everything they could want. Personal issues aside, at 250kg it’s heavy and it’s very tall. Even with the low saddle setting, you still have to get you leg over the pillion seat which sits a lot higher. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. The 2013 onwards 1200GS is very comfortable & easy to make progress on. IMHO the GS with the 19 inch front wheel is a better pure road bike than the GSA with the 19 inch front wheel. The GS is also easier for people of shorter stature (both have 2 seat height settings).

Economy & range are also very good compared to a lot of other stuff, so it's a decent choice for touring. Windshield, hand guards & heated grips provide a very pleasant riding experience in colder weather. Not needed to use my Gerbing heated kit when using the GS in winter.
    Ditto what has already been said about servicing & parts, all very reasonable in my experience.

8. Lower than a multi, as the seat is more suited to short legs. The weight is not noticeable expect when moving around, on/off stand. Also like a multi, it carries it well on the move

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Thanks, was looking to get a 15 plate onwards because the gearbox was changed and little issues were sorted according to some GS forums.

10. one of the best all rounder bikes you can own had 3 gsa 1200,s toured all over Europe from here down as far as Montenegro never a single glitch and preform exceptionally well for a big tall traily ! getting on and off is not a problem you can leave the sidestand down when getting on if you want to stand on the peg to throw the leg over and still leave the stand down for the pillion getting on the stand is plenty strong ! im 5'7" with a 29 inch leg I always used a standard height bike with a low saddle with no issues !! sold mine 6 weeks ago didn't even advertise it ! I wasn't touring this year or next year so fancied something a bit more bonkers good luck with the choice !!

#10 theskitz, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. They're for old men with facial hair and fucking massive adenoids

Thread closed @El Toro ... Move along now, nothing to see here.

Thank me later ! :upyeah::cool:

#11 Marco - 58, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. I test drove one and the KTM before I bought the Multistrada.
    I did feel like I had to push it hard to get anywhere, no where near the package that Ducati have, comfy and capable but it's not a Ducati, is it?

• Like Like x 1
  13. To be fair my brother did 185,000 miles on his.
    An ugly mother fucker....the bike not my brother.

14. He rode in and out of London and all over it most days, over 20k a year, I think it's still going.

15. GSA
    I’ve had a few since buying my first in 2010.
    No other bike like it
    Just awesome

Now where’s me zimmer and beard shampoo

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. After 8 years of Multistrada ownership, (2010 and a DVT) I went to a 2018 GSA for touring. It’s a great bike, tho agreed it not got the punch of the Multi. Though heavier, the weight is ‘lower down’ which made it a lot easier / more stable for me when loaded up than the Multi. There’s a reason why you see so many on the road...

Both are great bikes. Still get my Ducati fix with a 1200 Monster tho !!

• Like Like x 3
  17. Owned a 2014 and now have a 2017.

Gearbox and quickshifter a HUGE amount smoother on the later bike. (2016 and a half model year got changes) Electronic suspension also better.
    Touring, I would not entertain anything without shaft drive now. Smooth too, not like old GSs.
    And they handle. Just need decent tyres, Conti Road Attack 3 or some Michelin road 4/5s. Best purchase for any GS...tyres. Used to get pegs down on the 2014, only touched down once on this one. Something suspension related I think because I dont ride it any different.
    My mate Jay on an MT and me on GS showed the Italians how to go up the Giau pass the other year. Can be very quick bikes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Btw, GSA is huge, just buy the normal sized GS.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. How about one of these ? I`ve ridden a couple of hundred miles on one, lacking in the Ducati character but fantastic all round road bike and with a sensible seat height. Obviously no off road pretensions so perhaps not suitable for those pretending to go off road.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Errr no, it looks plain uglyo_O at least the GS looks purposeful.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information