1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So this marine convicted then

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by bradders, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Absolutely gutted but thats the law apparently. Meanwhile these men walk our streets with
    Impunity.

IMG_0709.JPG IMG_0710.JPG Gutted and disgusted, but that apparently is the law. Mean while at liberty in our country these men walk free.

#381 Drinky, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. It's sickening. The man should not be in prison for killing an enemy who would have undoubtedly done likewise in reverse circumstances.
    And Pete, shadow et al you can shove all that law shite up yer hoop. Our country is loosing the plot. the human interface is fading.
    Next up- brexit quashed... ffs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OK, so the refusal of bail was a bit of a kick in the bollocks to Al, Claire and the team but every cloud has a silver lining. It seems that the original date for the appeal was going to be March/April BUT now its going to be January.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Whenever a convict brings an appeal to the CACD (or the CMAC), he inevitably faces the problem that if his legal representatives at the original trial properly presented all the evidence and arguments in his favour, then he has no basis for the appeal. So his new legal team have to suggest that the former legal team were "incompetent". This is pretty standard stuff.

This rather muddled news item about suing Anthony Berry QC is just a bit of posturing which won't go anywhere.

5. At the Court Martial trial, the judge was asked to give a ruling about whether the video footage in the case should be released to the media or not. Generally evidential material in criminal trials is released to the media if they want it, and unless there is some reason to the contrary. The media are always keen for this practice to be maintained as far as possible.

In this case the Service Prosecuting Authority and the Ministry of Defence argued that release of the video footage (and its widespread publication around the world) would endanger British personnel and harm British interests. Judge Blackett ruled that the video should not be released.

Now that the case is pending before the Court Martial Appeal Court, the media organisations (which act together for these purposes) have renewed their application for release of the video, and the CMAC has held a preliminary hearing on this point. As far as I know the video has not been released, and presumably the point will be dealt with after the hearing of the appeal in early February. Most likely the Lord Chief Justice will deal with it. My guess is that he will uphold the previous ruling against release of the video.

• Like Like x 1
  6. How does this compare to the Israeli soldier who shot dead the injured Palestinian that was convicted last week? :)

7. Sorry, I don't know anything about the case. Is there a link?

8. Royal Marine Maxwell pleads guilty to terror charge - BBC News
    Here is another case of a Royal Marine Commando (Maxwell), also based in Taunton Somerset, who has apparently committed some serious offences, although not murder in this case. If he is given a prison sentence, as is very likely, I wonder if there will be another campaign to release him?

9. 'Marine A' Alexander Blackman footage released - BBC News
    Apparently some parts of the video have been released for broadcast after all.

10. Particularly provocative statement, even for you ;)

11. Clearly this lawyer was doing a great service to his clients, too, and obviously can't be corrupt, legal profession is full of scruples and ethics ;)
    Phil Shiner: Iraq human rights lawyer struck off over misconduct | Law | The Guardian

BTW off the BBC front page and news already....o_O

12. I have met Phil Shiner several times and had various dealings with him. Personally I found him thoroughly unlikable and untrustworthy. He struck me as rather like Gareth Pierce, another solicitor whom I have also met. Both of them started off pursuing genuine cases of people who had been badly treated and fighting for justice (in different areas of law), with some success. But they then began to go down the road of cutting corners in the interests of their clients, and of taking on more and more disreputable clients. Eventually they went rather off the rails, bending the rules and failing to uphold professional standards.

Incidentally, when a disciplinary process within a professional body results in somebody being barred from their profession this rarely makes the news at all, let alone the front page.

13. And hopefully some heavy-handed prosecution to follow.

Although his this differs to the other ambulance chasing 'professionals ' I have no idea

14. Apparently the Court Martial Appeal Court has today decided to reduce the conviction from murder to manslaughter in the Sgt Blackman ("Marine A") case. No doubt the sentence will be reduced accordingly, although manslaughter is still a very serious charge. More information to follow.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Just seen this news, very happy to hear it :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. The re-sentencing of B took place today, it has been reported. The original Court Martial sentence of life imprisonment for murder with a minimum tariff of 10 years had earlier been reduced to 8 years by the Court Martial Appeal Court. Since the conviction was reduced to manslaughter, re-sentencing was required. Apparently the CMAC decided not to remit the case the the CM but to carry out the sentencing itself, and apparently it was set at seven years imprisonment. This means B could be released on parole after three and a half years, a period which is due to come up soon.

17. Yes! great to hear :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information