So what have you done today..?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by figaro, Mar 17, 2012.

1. I notice the MG badge on the wheel... Sorry about that

2. I know Xmas is over but I only just got around to buying the mincemeat (it's not easy to find here).

IMG_0887.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  3. "I love you loads, sugarplum" My wife said earlier.

"And I love you tons." I replied.

"What, no nickname for me?" She asked

Sometimes I could swear that fatty is going deaf.

• Like Like x 1
  4. most baking trays have twelve slots, two are missing........where are the missing two, come on, own up.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Not enough pastry! But I have another lot of it in the freezer!

6. Today, I added chopped tomatoes to my usual slow-cooker stew and left it cooking all day.

The chopped tomatoes were the missing ingredient, it turns out and they've transformed the merely good to something out of this world. Fucking orgasmic :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. After attending a site survey in Kingston (Upon Thames...not Suicide city MK) I had a wonder around the shops.
    Looking at all the people going about their daily business I realised that the scene was like that in the star wars bar.
    [​IMG]
    I'm getting old.

8. Recipe?

9. chop it all up bung it all in.

• Like Like x 1
  10. LOL. It doesn't have a recipe, it's way too simple. The secret is in how slow you cook it and how starving you get from the delicious smells it emits towards the end.

The fun part is working out which simple ingredient to add next. For instance, the addition of chopped mushrooms was a pivotal moment and today's addition of finely chopped tomato was a game-changer. The hard part will be replacing the Knorr stockpot with something home made.

Incremental changes, one bit at a time. I'm considering adding a little bit of grilled bacon to the mix next but ... you know ... I'm scared :)

11. Come on! Out with it! What are the ingredients and what are you doing to them???

12. Good grief, there's nothing in it!

Baby potatoes with skins on, halved
    Chopped carrot (top/tailed but not peeled)
    Whole small onion, chopped fairly finely
    Chopped stringless beans
    Sliced closed-cup mushrooms
    Chopped single salad tomato
    200-300g diced lean stewing steak
    1 Knorr Beef stockpot
    Minimal seasoning (salt, black pepper)
    No added water (my original and worst mistake early on - so don't add water)

Cook for 10 hours at the slow-cooker's lowest setting.

There's a few tricks to how you cook it up. Layers. Layer the spuds and carrots at the bottom. Next, the stringless beans, then the onion, then the steak, then the mushrooms and finally the tomatoes. Don't stir at this stage.

Start all the ingredients off at the same time. Do not stir until about an hour before it's finished. By doing it this way, some of the mushrooms with have been desiccated somewhat (near the edges of the stew) whilst others in the centre will have retained some moisture. This helps the texture no end. The steak falls apart if you stare hard at it. The potatoes, beans and carrots retain some of their structure. The onion almost disappears and the tomato is just a hint of flavour.

The whole thing feels so healthy it could cure a broken leg instantly. Simple flavours. I just need to sort out a replacement for the store-bought stockpot - and maybe try the bacon idea. It might work. I am thinking too about red wine but I'm not convinced - it might make for a decent flavour though. I might try different spuds at some point, to see how this affects the texture.

Stupid simple recipe, just like me :)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  13. shook the cheesy bake bean tin till every bean came out :D i hate leaving any in the tin .

• Like Like x 1
  14. What is this? Just a cube or a liquid?

15. Are you looking at my mate's pint??

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. It's one of these new-fangled stock cubes, like an Oxo Cube, only squishy. I was worried that the thing would just melt and over-flavour a small fraction of the stew but it just works, perfectly.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Oooooh hark at you Delia Smith

18. That's me!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information