1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So When Out And About....locks

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Steviejay, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Tbf you have had stuff nicked, so felt the pain, and are commuting in London.

I don’t bother locking mine, other than steering lock, if I’m just out and about. May use disc lock, but other than at race meetings I don’t leave more than an hour or so normally. Haven’t commuted in years.

2. When I'm touring I carry an Oxford Monster disc lock under the seat. I'm going to replace it with an alarmed disc lock though. Arbus Granite looks good. Smaller than the Monster too.

3. My bikes have tended to have a top box so although I'm not keen on them they do help with chains, locks etc. I tend to use one big fuck off chain, through the rear wheel then to a fixed object say a railing or lampost, In town centres I always try and park near cctv council/police cams. Thankfully the looks of the fugley means not a lot a people are after stealing it but I am resigned that if some bellend wants it, they will take it.

I'd like to think I'd act all cool and cest la vie if it was stolen but I remember going to the local university to enquire about a course and had taken my fat bike with a big chain but not attached to anything when locked. When I came back it had gone, I was gutted, quite upset even. Went in to ask reception if they had seen anything and sure enough it was creating such a stir that one of the staff had moved it inside.

4. well done you! only how do you carry an Almax chain?, I've got one and can hardly lift it off the floor, let alone carry it on a streetfighter, would make for a very uncomfortable backpack, and a not very safe feeling riding with it.

5. The chain is the 1.2 or 1.5m one, and it sits in a Kriega US10 on the rear seat. The lock goes under the seat and the Oxford one goes in my rucksack. Is a fair amount of extra weight but needs must really.

• Like Like x 2
  6. What’s really needed of course is politicians and police who take the issue seriously and, instead of saying it’s down to the bike manufacturers to make bikes more secure, bang up the little moped riding scrotes who are responsible for prolonged periods of time.

But I suppose it’s just easier to tax one of the most efficient, congestion busting forms of transport out of the capital city instead. Then there’ll be no bikes to nick.

Meanwhile the little scrotes can carry on being brazen because effectively there’s nothing for them to worry about.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Cup of tea time, boiled the kettle would become handy, in these situations, or the deep fat fryer.........

8. Thing is it's all well and good saying smash their heads in or pour hot water over them but the vindictive nature of these pricks (smashing the car windows) means if you injured them they would most likely return the favour and it could be a lot worse.

Now if it were in a random place then go for it....

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Decision made.

When out and about I'm gonna put my cheapish combination lock chain on the rear.

And get a bright red Oxford grip lock and a disc lock too.

They if they want it that bad to get all that off then they can have the fucking thing

10. If you can use a disc lock on the rear wheel it makes your bike more secure. Not only does it stop them lifting the front and wheeling it to a van it can be more inaccessible for cordless angle grinder.

• Useful Useful x 2
  11. @Pavey How effective has your parking warden theft note been?

Parking in London is becoming a real issue. Bays are being taken out at a rate of knots and most are so full I end up in a car bay at £4-6 an hour.

12. Not one ticket yet, and I speak to the wardens in a polite and courteous manner when they come to investigate, explaining why I am parked where I park. In Eaton Square recently and I came out to two wardens and a Police Officer, reading the note. Interestingly he (the officer) said I am committing no crime, and it was down to the wardens.
    They were fine as I was only there two days and not full-time - some residents had supposedly complained. I told them a lot of rich people in the area with not much to do which raised a smile.

Was at Whitehall the week before, had a good chat with the Anti Terrorism Unit guys, two shifts of two - they were initially concerned it was an elaborate bomb but were not bothered again it was on the pavement, and watched it for me while I was in my meeting for two hours.

All the while I was talking to them my baseball bat was peeking out the top of my bag. ;)

My theory is I will take a ticket or two to be chained up, as must be cheaper or similar to a parking cost anyway.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. sad thing is that I can't even use the crossbow out of the window because they might get hurt.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. b.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. F895AE3F-E4C5-4531-B7A4-065851A2F954.jpeg I got one of these handy torches, would just be nice to have some space on the bike for it, for when you get lost and you need some extra light

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Roadlok here also....

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information