1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So Who Buys Harley's Then

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Speed, Jan 26, 2019.

1. I've got a mate who, for ten years while I was building my S&S based bobber, took the piss.
    He ridiculed the vibrations the engine would produce, the fact that it wouldn't handle, the shit range the small fuel tank would give, the excessive weight it would undoubtly be & all the other usual Harley banter. The clothes he thought I would ultimately buy & wear, etc, etc.
    Then after ten years I finally finished my build. It was built to have a "look" & things like tank range, comfort, etc were not a consideration.
    It looks good, (in my opinion) & always draws a crowd when I go out on it. However, it has little ground clearance so corners must be taken with great care, 60 miles & you MUST look for a refuelling stop, is horrendous to ride when hitting pot holes, sunken grids/man-holes, but I do like it as I accept it for what it is.
    Then, once I finished my bobber, low & behold my mate goes out & buys a Fat Boy !!!!
    He does say he'll not buy into the clothing scene, but comes round to mine with Rokker jeans, matt black open face helmet, wrap round sunnies, HD branded boots & tries to justify all this with utter bullshit.

It's no wonder they weigh so much, we've removed & replaced a few parts & the parts we've removed must be made from pig-iron !
    He's tried to tell me that this pile of shit is the best bike to tour on, but ultimately I think he's just been hooked into the HD scene.
    It was his bike that got an advisory this year for the noise of it's exhaust, not mine !

I'm still of a view that no matter how they try to justify their choice most HD owners have made their choice driven by the HD image.
    They do not handle, they vibrate, they are agriculteral. Always will be.
    They buy a bike & spend thousands adding Screaming Eagle stuff that most of them would never know the difference if they rode the same bike without it fitted. They also "dress" a certain way & some wear replica German helmets. Complete tossers & they look tossers too.
    Hat's off the Harley Davidson though, they are coining it in.

You could argue that last thought of mine could be said of any make of bike, Ducati owners spend thousands adding exhausts, carbon fibre trinkets, etc as do owners of any other make forum you might frequent.

Harley riders, in general do not wave to riders of other makes. That can also be said of BM owners.
    When I'm out on my bobber thing HD riders ALWAYS wave, if I'm out on my Ducati, my Triumph or my Kawasaki they do not. On my moped no fucker waves !

I guess at the end of the day you pays your money & makes your choice. Each to their own, live & let live & all that !

However, if anybody sees me wearing any HD branded/type clothing and/or riding one of those pieces of shit please, for God's sake, shoot me !

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Back of the net!

3. Really? Where is Stockton?
    I ride my monster and get waved at all the time by near everyone. Sorry to hear that.
    But also, who cares if they wave. Sometimes I do not wave. A thousand reasons but I never mean a slight.

Rex

4. Pictures?:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I bought this two years ago and is going to be for sale next month after it's 8k service. Hate harleys but love INDIAN motorcycle, the first american motorcycle company.:) 33126624_2125669187475639_8956362381148028928_n.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. its the same thing?!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. No way, when i take the top box off and the screen it handles and goes like stink, 1801 cc and tuned to fuck. Indians are more refined a harley is agricultural;) I bought it to go down to italy 2 years ago as we rode down on the 900ss in 2015 and it was painful for the wifeo_O

8. Thats shocking - is there a drinks cabinet in there somewhere...?

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. :joy: No there's my 900ss in there in case of emergency:upyeah::punch:

10. I have similar feelings .... but I have to ask ...
    What's the kerb weight on that ?

11. Roughly 428 kg, i ride it without the trunk and screen and it is a beautiful thing to ride, comfortable and fast and it goes round corners!! I bought it really for going out to places with the wife and we where going to go down to italy in 2018 but the wife was not well that year so was called off(she bloody ok now though:)).It is a beast!!

12. A guy who works in the unit next door to me as an Indian Scout, I`ve not ridden it yet but the finish and quality looks years ahead of Harley and if I was after that type of bike then I`d probably get one of these.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. Iv'e not ridin the scout but have heard they go well and go round corners and they look good but each to their own!! INDIAN all day long:upyeah: But selling mine as it's not being used for what i intended for.

14. Looks like a Chief Dark Horse
    ... it looks wicked anyway , whatever the model .... :imp:

15. DSCN3167.JPG

Like I said, not for doing big mileages on !!:confused:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Could be the wrong model, the guy is away at the moment and I just pasted the Indian that looked most similar.

17. I have a lowrider FXDL and really enjoy it. It smells, vibrates, wobbles, is noisy and puts a smile on my face. It has a carb and minimum of electronics so easy to work on. It's never let me down - something that can't be said of my Ducati. I can bimble along on it for hours in relative comfort whereas on the SS my backside complains after an hour or so.
    Having said that, the SS is very different and enjoyed just as much. It's like choosing which record ( ooh, showing age) to play depending on your mood at the time.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information