1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So Who Use Ther Ducati 1199 /1299 On Track And How Often ?

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by james griffin, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Hows it working out for you any reliability problems? had to upgrade anything to get it to work how you want.

brakes suspension q.s ect ?

I ask this as i use a zx10 at the min but always wanted to go bk to the 1199 but for full track use not road riding any more ?

2. I had a 1199S and 1199R and used both on track. Apart from a suspension set up you dont really need much else apart from a bit of crash protection.

I did end up fitting an RCS master cylinder as I was getting a bit of brake fade. I also fitted a set of DP fairings - Shameless plug - I have a set for sale!!!

Only other thing I did was an extra oil and filter change mid track day season.

3. How come you changed the oil mid day yes i think the brembo rcs cylinder is required for just about every bike when track riding the standard zx10 cylinder is utter shite after few hot laps the lever was hitting the bar and ending up with no brakes

4. Think your find its the middle of the season not middle of the day dude.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. As cookster said - middle of the season.

• Like Like x 1
  6. And I must admit Simons 1199r looked ace in track form and went like stink.

7. DDr117 is using his with some decent effort, and Royal has done in the past. There are loads of people on here using them on the occasional trackday, ducati days and a few were at Snetterton last week for two days with us.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. As above, my 2014 199S was pretty much a track bike for two years and near bullet proof to the point that I was more than happy to buy the 1199R that I use now. It has probably done twenty or more track days in the two years with near zero issues. On the 1199S the only actual breakage I can think of just now is the front wheel speed sensor which sits on the inside of the front wheel fairing and tends to get knocked off its plastic clips by tyre warmers and rubs on the wheel thus knocking out your electronics. It's an easy fix if you have hands like a child but tight for man digits to stick a new one on. I have put new seals in the front shocks but that was as much because I wanted to increase the oil level slightly as for wear so it made sense to get them maintained. I was bottoming out the forks on braking but I don't think stiffer springs are necessarily the answer; it's just the incredible good brakes on the Panigale which are way better than anything else I've experienced. It can go through pads fairly quickly for the same reason. I had the steering angle and also the rear sprocket changed to the same as the 1299 and have fitted track fairings and the race seat. Other than that its the same as any bike; don't over fill the oil as it chucks it out the seals/top,etc.

I would say that my previous 2012 Panigale that I had for about four months was a right nightmare with all sorts of problems but I think that was due to the previous owner as much as it being an early model.

One thing I've done to the 1199R which I would highly recommend is the tank extension like on the race bikes. I've low sided on a Panigale twice through mid corner letting off the throttle (once on my 1199S and once on a Ducati demo 1299 at Silverstone) and these are supposed to stop that from happening. It's said that the number of race crashes reduced dramatically once everyone started using the tank extension to shift weight slightly back. It makes sense as whilst the front of the Pani is epic and gives crazy confidence; you still ride it off the back wheel to make it work best since it's a bit longer wheel base than other big bikes so you need to get the back end around.

The 1199S is for sale by the way if you're looking for a cheap one. I'm just looking to make some money over the trade in price. I've put an advert up but I need to do a proper one once I've returned from Italy the week after next and have the correct figures.

#8 Monners, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  9. Can't really add much to what's already been mentioned but I've tracked both panigales I've owned and they've both been superb

10. The 1199S is becoming a track favourite with the Hungarian guys. It's normal here to buy a crashed road version from Germany or Austria and make it a race bike.

The weight reduction compared to a 1098/1198 is noticeable so they go around the local tracks pretty damn quickly in the right hands.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Here's mine in action last weekend :)
    Recently got back from an epic Italian GP trip with Focused Events and Promo Racing. Both Mugello and Imola have to rank as my new favourite tracks along with Portimao.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information