1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solved: Hyper821- Big, Big Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Superwombat, Nov 20, 2019.

1. It does appear to be the sprag that’s at fault but the reason for that is likely to be not enough energy getting to the starter motor in the past

2. Probably bad battery, bad starting cables and wrong starter motor have caused all this...
    I am going to take another video that show better everything...

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. I ve taken another video...
    First of all I checked the battery with a tester (12.82v).
    After that, I have connected the battery charger to the bike and tried to start...
    F14A873B-6E2C-4F1E-ADDD-51EE7C588326.jpeg

I post the YouTube video I saw. Sprag or starter clutch repair in a ducati 1098.

4. Definitely sounds like sprag. Try shortening the sprin by 1cm

5. Can you explain me this...what sprin?

6. Sorry i meant spring. My English is not as good as yours... the starter sprag is like a roller bearing but the rollers are sort of kidney bean shape, the 'rollers' are pretensioned in one direction to lock onto the starter gear, if the spring gets stretched then it doesnt lock, shortening the spring by first unscrewing the smaller tapered end & cutting a cm from the female end & screwing back together (you need to keep the unwound tension) can fix the problem for 10k plus in my experience. Search for ducati starter sprag fix for a better explanation than mine.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Ok...I understand...
    Thx

• Like Like x 1
  8. Also in another thread. The starter Solenoid could be making poor contact inside
    Short the terminals on that by putting a screwdriver across them

9. Use a sigle jump lead to bypas solenoid

10. I ve seen some videos on YouTube related to ducati sprag failure and I am 90% sure that is this...
    Min 2:00 same noise as mine

I have been reading other forums searching how to fix it and I ve seen that the problem is the spring that is in the oneway clutch. Some people change that spring and the problem is solved but...it is not a durable fixing.
    I think i am going to buy new oem parts...there are three parts involved...the clutch, the driven gear and the flange (11,13,14)
    06DCBC8A-EAEC-4A84-979D-9218B05BFE6C.png

..These parts suffer wear...a part going to change the washer and the crankshaft nut...
    Nearly 400€ :triumph:
    Hope this solves the problem

• Like Like x 1
  11. Good morning and happy new year mates!

Well, at the end I could buy all the parts... a new sprag (the clutch, the driven gear, the flange and a new crankshaft nut). Nearly 400€. I had to buy a flywheel lock tool (80€) as well...
    This weekend I finished the repair..
    [​IMG]
    Once flywhell was out I disassemble the flange and the sprag came out in peaces... probably changing only the spring had been enough but I prefer new parts on my bike.
    [​IMG]

The only tricky part was separate the flange and the flywheel to arrive to the sprag. It is needed to insert two screws from the flywheel rotor side in their holes in order to remove the flange and the starter clutch. This operation takes me around one hour and I damage the two screws thread. :confused:
    I had to buy new OEM screws.

Once the flange and the flywheel are separated the rest of the work is relatively easy.
    With everithing mounted back another point is how to tighten the cranckshaft nut (Min. 313NM- Max. 346NM). I had to borrow a dynamometric wrench...friends are great!:innocent:

Well, now it's time to fit the generator cover... apply sealing compound... screws on and thats all.
    I have to say that I don't understant why italians don't use gaskets as the rest of the world! :mad:

With everything mounted back fingers crossed... :expressionless:
    This is the result

Great!!!
    Very happy with this!... I have the bike ready again :p

I would like to thanks to everybody that commented my thread and gave me some advices.
    If not sure my bike still would be remaining in the garage.
    :party:

• Like Like x 6
  12. Brilliant, pleased it all worked out in the end.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Santa sended me a present for the bike.
    He contacted with exact start and got a cable kit to improve the starting. Thanks @Exige !

[​IMG]

Easy to fit... cheap improvement... highly recommendable

Just check the section difference between the OEM cable (black) and the new cable (red)...
    [​IMG]

This is how the kit works

(the engine was hot)(first time starting like this)
    :punch:

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information