1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Somehow, I Now Own A 748

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Rusty_wheels, Apr 10, 2021.

1. So, this was a little surprising to me, as I was looking for an RD350LC. Having sold my Yamaha XT500, I was looking to rekindle my youth, but blimey - 2 strokes are now stupid money! Late night browsing, I started looking at 916s, as I fell in love with these when I first saw one at the London Bike Show way back when... Of course, they are also a little on the pricey side, and I couldn't justify the spend, so then settled on the 748. Here she is:

ducati.png

It's a basic 2000 E version, only 2 owners and 11k on the clock. Termi's and 5 spoke wheels, being the only amends from standard. Had the belts changed plus usual service as part of the deal. Only things that really need attention are the front fork slider's anodizing is failing, so need replacing (I'm assuming it wouldn't be possible to polish and recoat - so anyone have a set they want to sell - basic Showas?), and the battery has had a good go at melting the relays:

battery.png

Other than these, it's really a deep clean for her and then gradually working my way through the usual corrosion/paint issues

A few thoughts on my first Ducati ownership:
    • Where did Ducati source their engine paint from? Looks like its made of old flaking leaves
    • What's with all these tiny 8mm bolts, that seem to have been designed to corrode and snap as soon as practically possible? And who thought of giving them dished heads to hold the water in??
    • Do you get a discount at the chiropractor for being a Ducati owner?
    • Blimey those Termi's are loud!

It's going to be fun getting to know her (my back and wrists may of course, never recover!). Will keep you posted.

• Like Like x 17
  2. Greetings!

Very nice choice of bike.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Welcome

• Like Like x 1
  4. Very nice, congratulations and welcome

• Like Like x 1
  5. Looks like a classic battery explosion on the gold frame there, welcome to the two wheel motion club.:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  6. welcome rusty_wheels'

• Like Like x 1
  7. welcome dude, be carefull with those wheels , they look like magnesium. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Welcome mate. The first Ducati I owned was a 748 Biposto, I think the frame was stamped 'Cagiva.' Lovely bike to ride. Check the Regulator/Rectifier as that was a weak point, and of course change that battery and clean those terminals. Looking at it, it looks like the battery has leaked onto the frame and has caused some damage. Not terminal though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Looks like there is no breather / drain hose on the battery which is probably why there is damage to the relays etc.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I never owned a 916, but I am on my third 748 now. You figured it out, they are great value, but in my very biased opinion, much more fun to ride.

• Like Like x 2
  11. I did exactly the same thing, was looking for a 2 stroke from my yoof and accidentally bought a 937 Supersport after spotting an advert. I hope its everything you want it to be. Lovely looking bikes

• Like Like x 1
  12. Welcome, cracking bike. Definitely need love but they’re worth it :upyeah:

13. Lovely find

Welcome into our mad house

• Like Like x 1
  14. Welcome to the forum.:)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Welcome. Paint at the time was switching to Eco friendly. They all flake. BMW of the same era exactly the same. Definitely no breather on the battery. The 916/748 are just for me gorgeous in form but yes not the best ergonomics for anyone over 5' 8''. You will love it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Welcome, looks lovely that ! :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thanks for all the replies.

Yep, the battery does seem to have exploded everywhere, but I've now added a breather pipe and cleaned up the worst of it. Had thought the battery was a gonna, but Optimate seems to have worked its dark magic and recovered it, and checked the rectifier and charging circuits, and all good. Might just invest in some of those nice starter cables I see mentioned on the forum to save the starter clutch.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Are the wheels magnesium, as mentioned earlier by @cookster ?
    Got a picture of the backside of them?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. I actually don't know. I'll have a look when back from work, and post a picture, but they are smooth without any bracing on the spokes, so my assumption would be no, afraid not.

20. some mag wheels didnt have bracing at the back, but the front of the wheels look like magnesium.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information