1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someone Mentioned Maxxis Tyres

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by SF Kiwi, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Thank you for your response, it's great to hear from someone who actually uses these tyres.
    I have them on my Enduro MTB and they are second to none, have used them for years.
    Anyway, I'm going to order these bad boys and use them on the 1198. I like to ride but can't imagine I'll ask as much from the tyre as it's capable of.
    I'll post a review in time and I'll be able to talk about the road and track feeling.

Thanks again

• Like Like x 1
  2. Look forward to reading your review and seeing how they've developed in recent years.

3. Me and son #1 have experience of Maxxis, and some of the recent crop of track day tyres (Conti, Pirelli, Mich), but only on older Ducatis (ss900, 888 and 996) on road and light track duty.
    Are they any good? Depends on what you want them to do and your idea of good.
    My thoughts-
    Warm up - slow - Take a while for any real grip Esp. on the rear. ( e.g. locking up on downshifts etc) on the road. Really need warmers for track use or you spend half the session getting the heat and confidence.
    Feel - pretty poor front and rear - little feedback, feel wooden, no idea where the limit is until it snaps out
    Grip - Actually reasonable up to a certain level. Front is better than rear. They mark up ok, and you can go round at a fair pace if you are consistent and smooth. Push the drive too hard or Snap at the controls though and they go away from you pretty quickly and seem to act like a really high duro tyre (They aren’t) - no recovery during the slide, just if you are lucky when it grips again.
    Wear rate / Life- really good, they last for ages on the road- probably too long, in fact !
    Ours have been consigned only to keeping the rims off the garage floor and maybe a steady run to the mot station at “that” time.

Summary - won’t buy any more for the road, and would not use them if they were free for the track. Avoiding one get-off makes track suitable tyres a Really Cheap investment. (Don’t ask)
    Jon

4. Wow..thank you for your words, very insightful and very helpful.

Would you be so kind as to tell me when you last had these tyres, ie year and which type you had please

Many many thanks

Craig

5. I rsn a set on my 996. Mainly fast road riding and a bit of track use at Spa and Nurburgring. No problems at all. Would not dismiss another pair.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yes I've seen that on the 790 FB, some have even changed them out once home from the dealer go figure. Clearly more money for burning than I have.

I'm going to be the odd 790 owner, I find mine OK no better no worse than other tyres I've used on other bikes. My mate had a 790 too and thought they were as good as anything else he's used.

However neither of us are road racing Gods we're just bimblers, neither of us worry the edge of the tyre much....

My rear will be worn out soon so I'll stick another Maxxis on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. sure, Supermaxx sport stamped year 2018.
    Tried some other Maxxis with more tread pattern / sipes on track on a crb600 but can’t remember the model - they chewed up like wets at track temp Around 26 deg but offered limited Confidence / grip.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. They aren't as shit as you might think, I know the guy who helped develop them

But I still wouldn't use them.

9. thanks dude....I guess you have different requirements when it comes to tyres....being a championship racer. Really appreciate your feedback and taking the time to offer it up. I wonder if the guy who helped develop them is happy with them?

10. Anytime mate

It’s ’one of those’ - whilst I trust his judgement, he’s also not likely to say they’re shit either haha

I can confirm he doesn’t use them though, but I guess it depends on what kind of riding you’re doing.

I had a friend who ran them on his road bike and said they were great. But then he put a different brand on (higher rated) and was bowled over with the difference.

no harm in trying them I guess ? For me I always buy the best I can afford, it’s the only thing between you and the tarmac.

I would trust @doogalman’s views as an all round / fair / level headed one. I know Roy and he’s a level headed kind of bloke

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I have Supermaxx Sport on my Firestorm track bike, before that I had been using scrubs (Corsa's) Clearly the bike isn't the best handling or the most powerful.... but then I'm no riding god either! Took me 2 sessions to get them to scrub in, after that I don't think they are that bad at all, no - not as good as the Corsa's but not so much worse that I don't enjoy myself.
    My Multistrada (which I can genuinely ride 1000x harder than my track bike). has always had Angel GT's fitted. A lot of my mileage is 2up, very fast road, we spend as much time in the Pyrenees as we can and I use all the available tyre, never had a problem with grip feel or feedback with the GT's. When I got home from my last trip, I thought I'd try a set of Maxxis Diamonds out to see how they fair, only done a few 100 miles so far so can't give a true report but so far so good. I only changed from the GT's because I genuinely believe tyre manufacturers charge way too much for tyres because they know we want to put 'the best on we can afford' and 'it's the only contact with the road'... whilst I don't disagree - they all have marketing teams aimed at making us see this!
    Also, this isn't the 70's - does anyone really make a bad tyre anymore? Not that I'm old enough to remember them - but apparently Avon Speedmasters & Dunlop K70's went out of their way to make you crash :laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  12. I stopped using premium brands on my cars years ago and cant say I have noticed any difference other than the price so I am certainly open to trying Maxxis next time my bike needs tyres.

• Like Like x 2
  13. You know what...thanks for that....
    I really appreciate your feedback and honesty, you actually have these tyres on your bike and they work...brilliant.
    I've just been quoted, £290 (taking my wheels off my bike myself) for Bridgestone S22's which I have used and rate, about half of that for the Maxxis...Might pull the pin on the Maxxis

Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  14. I just spoke to someone involved in the development of that sports tyre.

There were three principal development riders. However, one was/is sponsored by Michelin, One was/is sponsored by Dunlop and the 3rd joined pretty much as the final design was sorted and went on to develop a later Maxxis tyre.

All of 'em are championship winners and household names, but I have been asked NOT to actually name them for the sponsorship reasons above. The person who gave me the info does not know if their sponsors knew about the additional development work and given it was a few years back now that the tyre first appeared, sees no reason to rock any boats :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thanks for that info.....I do believe they are a cracking tyre....only problem is, I can't get hold of the flippen things in time for my track day etc....Can't believe it.
    Out of stock!
    Seems like people might just love the tyre but its an underground thing...

Love the info you have given, and thank you....

I'll get a set soon

• Like Like x 1
  16. I had a few sets of them on my R1. Never had an issue with them. Not tried on my MTS yet. M&P have some deals on sets from £99 for sport and touring and £114 for the diamonds. Great prices

17. Thank you very much for the heads up.
    I am keen to try them

18. I never got on with the Maxxis Diamond. They are a proper marmite tyre. No-one ever seems to say they are OK lol, they are either great or pants :) For me..the second one

I have run Maxxis on my cars for years, they are really good on there. I have used their summer, winter and now run their all weather tyres cos I got fed up with swapping summer and winter about :)

I reckon as said further up, there are no bad motorcycle tyres anymore, and unless you pay peanuts or buy no-name (Runway are shite car tyres) - very few bad car tyres either.

19. I bought a pair of Maxxis Supermaxx to replace the old Michelin pilot 2ct that were on my old cbr600 when I bought it, what a mistake! they were hard, no feedback, scary.. they were removed after 500 miles and replaced with a set of BT016 pro which were infinitely better, despite only being about £20 more for the pair.

The only other experience I've has with Maxxis tyres were a set of MA-Z1 'victra' on an MX5 about ten years ago. they were absolutely useless too.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information