1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something New From Kawasaki

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Lucazade, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Hmm ... does that mean my three-bar electric heater can be bored out to produce 500bhp?

Cool!

2. The colour of the exhaust is not indicative of power.
    My 400\4 used glow cherry red at the headers at full pelt and that only put out about 40 horse.
    They should ceramic coat it inside and out, then it would look like a thermal lance at the back.
    [​IMG]

#242 AirCon, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2014
  3. It is somewhat linked when compared to duration, but only loosely, that didn't take long to be fair :smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thickness of the metal and the material's radiative properties would also be relevant.

5. In a combustion engine or turbine heat and power are directly related. The more power the more heat.

6. To what?

7. No, but heat is.

8. The more fuel that is burned, the more heat will be produced. So, if the amount of fuel burned is the measure of power, then a, say, 1969 Plymouth Fury makes more power than a Ferrari F50.

I think there's more to it than that.

9. Energy (fuel) burned in a given time. I can't be arsed to explain but if you like, Google 'James Watt' and lob in words like 'power' Then you'll grasp why motorcycle exhausts get fucking hot fucking quickly. Like in the vid.

10. Holy moly! That thing is evil. Have to love the glowing spitting zorsts. Maybe not too good to follow closely on the track eh? Would look good in a night race!

11. My mind keeps thinking that the relationship between horsepower and heat of the exhaust isn't as simple as that but you are correct in what hinting at here.

The reason why an exhaust pipe might glow "cherry red" or "white hot" is slightly more complicated though, which was why I commented on this earlier on.

12. The amount of power produced in the combustion chamber and the amount of heat produced in the combustion chamber are very closely related. The relationship between amount of power reaching the back wheel and the amount of heat reaching the exhaust pipes is surely not quite so close, because several other factors intervene.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. The same amount of fuel and air can produce more or less power per bang. How efficiently the fuel burns is directly relevant to energy it releases. 30% burn will release 30% of its potential. The better the burn the more heat is generated as better burn releases more energy. New energy cannot be created it can only transition from one state to another. As a result the more heat is generated the more energy is wasted in engine as he at is not what drives a combustion engine. Modern combustion engines are I think about 30% efficient. Remaining 70% loss is due to heat generation, bad burn, loss of power due to loads of parts that need to transmit that power and so on.

14. Directly linked. Ok, so some mechanical losses but there will be an exponential link.

15. Erm, yes that's right. I think. . . . . Blimey.

16. I like it a lot, even if it's a lot slower than my Busa - it will handle a bit better granted :smile:

17. "Earlier this week, Ken Block released Gymkhana 7, a masterfully edited video which, in our opinion, was more likely to break the internet than any photo of Kim Kardashian lathered in some unsanitary amount of oil. In the video, Block beats, batters, and all-around defaces the LA streets in the most extreme '65 Ford Mustang you will ever lay eyes on. It really is an impressive display of four-wheel hooliganism that you'll absolutely enjoy—if you're a car guy."

The Mustang video is great!

18. Some fab imagery :)

19. It drives like a radio-controlled model car does, only it's full-sized. Insane!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information