1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sp5 For Sale...but Something Doesn't Look Right...

Discussion in '851 / 888' started by Bridgland, Apr 19, 2021.

1. All the parts are away getting ceracoted at the moment. Pain getting the rollers out the cam end caps but all done. Have ordered all the bearings now so have most bits and pieces, need to source a few oil seals. Managed to find shells for the 888 eventually. The ST4 cases are in very good nick with no corrosion so just going to degrease them and use them as is, save a bit of cash. Slick will blue print the motor for me as well to give it a bit more go. Will be going over to the IOM in the next few weeks and hopefully take all the parts back over with me.

• Like Like x 3
  2. What a great story
    Love the 888 can’t wait to see this blossom into a beauty

3. The green/grey colour on the engine parts is a funny colour so having to do a custom mix for the cerakote to get it right. Still looking for some engine parts as well, not knowing the bikes is always a struggle. In need of a set of big end shells as they are NLA from Ducati apparently.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Just replied on your other thread.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The big end shells fitted to the 851/888's are the same as those fitted to the 900SS,748,916,996 road bikes and are the same as those fitted to the "RS" race bikes????
    Who are you speaking to about the shells?
    When I needed shells for my ST4 cased 955c 851 I had to explain to the storeman/parts guy at a top Ducati Tuner/dealership, that there were not only Blues and Reds (colour coded shells sizes) but also Greens, Yellows and Blacks etc and that he'd have to look for them in the racing parts lists. He then spoke with the race engine building workshop manager who showed him where to find the shells that I needed.

Steve R

• Like Like x 1
  6. as Steve said, despite what's been said/what you've been told, they can't be NLA at this stage, it might be a batch-requirement delay or similar. :upyeah:

7. The SP5 has Pankl rods which I presume will take a different shell. Most sites say that the part is discontinued. If you do a google search on the part number, very little comes up about them. Will keep asking about.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I just know you are going to jump on me, but the shells from a 996 are not the same as on RS rods (from a 998 admittedly). The tangs are on opposite sides of the shell.

9. I think the change over came when the factory went from big end located to small end located rods???

Steve R

10. The bearings are only fitted to the 888 COrsa, 888 SP5 and the 916SP as they are the only ones to use steel Pankl rods.

11. Mahle motorsport took over Vandervell about 15 years back, and they have a custom services section for small run lots and one-offs like shells for classic race cars specced for modern oils.
    It would obviously be expensive compared to off-the-shelf options but as I think this is where the originals came from, they would already have all the specs and drawings, so it might make sense to ask them.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. All the early 851/888's, SP,SP2,SP3,SP4,888SPS and the 916 Strada's all had steel Pankl's fitted.
    The part number you supplied are also fitted to the rest of the Desmoquatro range???
    They're standard "Red" shells.

Steve R

13. Picked up all the ceramic coating yesterday. Looks not too bad, the company unfortunately shut yesterday so will have to find somewhere else to get it done. Should have been off to the IOM tonight but van broken so off next Sunday night instead.

250231513_310730123883850_7877208046408615025_n.jpg

250574199_603414127754415_2730363745615606063_n.jpg

14. Alasdair are you saying they have stopped business? If so, I would say that Hi-Spec Coating near Horsham in Sussex is excellent. @Topolino and I have used them regularly

15. One of the boys that worked there has bought one of the vapour blasters and the compressor so will see what happens. No good for getting my ZXR frames done though!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information