1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spain Trip

Discussion in 'Touring' started by squidger, Jan 11, 2018.

1. I've just put a deposit down for my first overseas bike trip. I fancy hooning about on twisty roads through mountain passes and valleys with nice views. Saw this trip advertised on bookface and thought that's a good price for 10 days with ferry crossing and hotels included so booked it. There will be 8 bikes in total and looking forward to meeting other like minded people and riding abroad. On day 8 we spend 2 nights at Mora Debre and there is a track a few miles up the road that were hoping to spend an afternoon at. I'm gonna need some throw over panniers for the Monster 1200s so if anyone has any recommendations I would appreciate it.

Trip Itinerary.

The Wrong Way Round.

Day 1 / Starting in Portsmouth we take the ferry to Bilbao, aboard you can relax in the comfort of an en-suite cabin, get to know your fellow riders and enjoy dinner in one of the restaurants on board.

Day 2 / 109 miles Scenic ride to Burgos. towards Miranda de Ebro. We will pass through the mountains, lakes and gorges of Gorbeiako Parke Naturalia giving you your first taste of northern Spain. We will then pass round the edge of the Orbarenes mountains to Burgos where our accommodation for the first night in Spain will be.

Day 3 / 125 miles Its time to trade in 1 historic city for another, we will ride from Burgos to the Cathedral city of Salamanca. Although this is a shorter day for riding there is lots to see and do in Burgos and Salamanca.

Day 4 / 245 miles We cruise from Salamaca south over Madrid visiting Franco’s tomb in the Valle de los Caídos before ending our day in style staying in an old monastery. With excellent views of the famous hanging houses set opposite the hotel overlooking the Parque natural De la Cuenca. This is a real highlight of the tour.

Day 5 / 283 miles From Cuenca we ride south towards Granada around the deep gorges of the Júcar and Huécar rivers, Then east around the edge of the Parque Natural Sierra DE Andujar through Jaén before arriving in the medieval city of Granada.

Day 6 / 173 miles Today we make our way north west towards Murcia our next stop. We will travel along the northern edge of Parque natural De la Nevada, Parque natural De la Baza and the southern edge of Parque natural De la Velez before heading through Lorcia towards Murcia.

Day 7 / 296 miles we head from Murcia towards the coast around the back of the city of Valencia then along the coast. A particularly scenic day today, with some leisurely stops on route before we arrive in Móra d' Ebre where we spend the next 2 nights.

Day 8 / Have a well-earned day off you are welcome to go off and explore on your own or as an alternative try your hand at off road riding or horseback riding.
    This will be included in with the price of tour.

Day 9 / 320 miles Hearty breakfast and then on through the rolling countryside back up towards Zaragoza. Short stop for lunch and then the last bit of riding to Bilbao to get our overnight ferry for the last leg of the trip home…

Day 10/ Arrive home safe and sound and make your friends jealous with your tales of the tour!

If you won't more information you can look at our Events page on here. Or give one of the team a call on 01243 780039

We need a booking deposit of £200.00 with the remainder payable a week before we leave.

[​IMG]

https://www.circuit-booking.com/en/circuit/circuit-de-mora-debre
    Mora Debre

• Like Like x 4
  2. Thread moved

3. I use one of these for longer trips...........http://www.getgeared.co.uk/tail-bag-cargobag-1680-ballistic-nylon-black-50l .................. Far and away the best bit of M/c luggage I've ever bought :upyeah::upyeah::upyeah:

4. I didn't realise these were available. I thought it was gonna have to be panniers and separate tailpack. Thanks Jonny.

5. how much is this trip costing? Sounds pretty good

6. It's brilliant (the bag thingy from SW Motech). When you arrive at your hotel, just undo the 4 securing straps, lift it off the bike and there's a handle so it can be carried just like a soft suitcase.

7. I have used Ortleib roll bags for the last 10 years or so. Totally waterproof, great carrying capacity, over the rear seat , 2 tiedowns and off you go. They are great value too, and i use them off the bike too.

8. chisel it’s costing £1300 if you use your own bike which includes off road biking and horse riding on day 8 and en suite cabin on ferry

• Like Like x 2
    • Crap Crap x 1
  9. Bought the SW Motech cargo tail pack. Looks good and hopefully big enough for 10 days clothing etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  10. That's a good idea. Fortunately I have a yearly travel insurance policy which includes dangerous sports lol.

11. @squidger do you have a readable version of the route? Sounds interesting and if you could share it I might follow some of it when I’m over there in September.

12. The route is on the first post. Does it not come up when you open it?

13. This looks a pretty good route to me and cities chosen for overnights are good, but I can’t see the map. If you are overlooking the gorge at Cuenca, I guess you are in the Parador. The food here isn’t bad, but you could try the Figon del Huelcar, across the gorge, which is good and magnificent views if you have a window seat – worth going this way for a stroll anyway. The route from Salamanca to Cuenca is going to be a bit hectic if taking in Valle de los Caidos and will rush past some of the best bits in Spain (for me, anyway, in La Rioja). Not a bad thing, as you will be tempted to return.

I assume this is an organized tour and you will have to follow. This is not a bad idea, as you will get to some bits you would not otherwise find on your own. I’m taking a group to Spain in 4 weeks’ time and we’re in Salamanca, which is a wonderful city. Must go to Plaza Major and if you are interested and have the time, the Art Deco museum is worth a look.

Have you pre-booked for the Alhambra in Granada? Necessary, if you want to see the palace, but the gardens will be available.

A friend (who is touring with me in Spain this year) has a Monster with detachable Givi fixed panniers which work well for him, but do have an unsightly frame. As noted above, Ortlieb roll bags (other makes are available) are probably the best soft luggage, but hard luggage is easier to live with on tour.

14. Where are you going? I am doing a tour in Spain this year in May and have several routes. Current routes are short-ish because it is a group of 6. I've been doing Spain for quite a few years.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Thanks. Some good info there. It's a tour set out by a friend who owns a bike hire company and they do tours. As it's my first overseas venture I thought it would be best. Who knows I may get the bug and sort out my own route next time.

16. Impressive trip. Nice thread though.

17. Yeah really looking forward to it.

18. Over the years I have done most of that .You are in for a,treat ,enjoy and start preparing for your next one as soon as you get back

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information