1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spare Part Mongrel

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by ducati dad, Jun 8, 2018.

1. So, having a tidy up in the garage, my son reckons I had enough parts to build a bike. Making a list I have a '95 600 monster frame. Ohlins fg9050 forks, a newish Maxton rear shock for an 851, an 851 swing arm, wheels, floating discs, calipers, clipons, rear sets and an 888 engine with SP3 cams, and an 851 ECU with power units and entire loom My son suggested a café racer type bike, which I like. He also suggested using the loom, ECU and dash from a 1098 to reduce weight a bit. On advise from Marvin on the 851/888 forum, I scored a set of T/B's from a S4RS with the later TPS. So, has anyone any experience doing anything like this. How would I get round the engine sensors, 1098 has one and the 851 has two? Any thoughts and comments welcome... Mick

2. You finished the build yet? :thinkingface:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I've only just started this one...

4. I know :yum

5. Good luck on your progress!

6. If you have a good dig around that shed, you might find a bike or two already built. I mean, have you really been through it?

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Any pics?:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. project seat.JPG project1.JPG project2.JPG project3.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  9. @ducati dad where did the tank come from?

Also that frame's been chopped and altered at the back hasn't it? Did you do that yourself?

10. project5.JPG project6.JPG project7.JPG

• Like Like x 7
  11. ^I like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 3
  12. The tank is an early alloy 851 but not the one I'll be using, I will be using a later alloy 851 tank purely because I have the fuel cap and surrounding gubbins [there is a difference between the two] .. I cut the rear frame loop once I had the rear seat unit to determine the length visually where I wanted it to end.. [ I hope that makes sense]..

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Another...
    project8.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  14. 996 Alternator cover modified to convert 888 engine to 3 phase alt. Spigot bearing needs moving to the outside section of the cover.

New inspection cover being made to compensate for longer 888 crank.
    20191210_170839.jpg 20191210_170404.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  15. That's my son, the engineer....:upyeah::upyeah::upyeah::cool:

• Like Like x 4
  16. Awww, he's very cute :heart_eyes::upyeah:

17. Especially when he's machining parts for me...:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. The 851 uses a P7 ECU and 2 sensors, one which tells the ECU the crank position, mounted at the top of the alternator cover more or less above the clutch slave. The other sensor near to the front of the water pump and taking it's signal from the half-time pinion on the crossover shaft provides the ECU with information as to which stroke each cylinder is on.
    The later bikes have one sensor only, taking it's signal from the crossover shaft pinion. It derives the stroke information from there being a missing tooth on the pinion (not the driving teeth but ones to create the timing pulses for the pickup).
    To use the 1098 ECU you'd need to fit the crossover shaft pinion from a 1098 but the 1098 pickup is in a different position on top of the LH crankcase between the cylinders.
    I don't know how how are achieving the fitment of a 3-phase alternator since the crank, rotor and alternator casings are completely different as well as the stator but if you were using a casing from a 996, ST4 or late 748 you could possibly use the pickup and crossover pinion from these which would enable a single pickup for use with an IAW5AM ECU.

Edit: I see you are using a modified 996 cover so that should have provision for a single pickup at the front which should work with a 996 crossover pinion.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. The bike will run on 1098 loom, ecu and dash.

The cover is a single pickup, I think late 748 or 996.

A 748 straight cut timing gear set has been fitted. With the cut outs on the gear.

To get the timing correct for the crank position/ and pick up, a few options are available.

1, everything lines up...
    2, broach a new key way in the gear.
    3, weld up the gap in the teeth on the timing gear and machine the gap on the teeth where needed.
    4, machine and weld a new boss on the alt cover in the correct position.
    5, see if the map in the ecu can be altered, to compensate.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information