1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spare Part Mongrel

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by ducati dad, Jun 8, 2018.

1. As for the 2 phase..
    There are a few issues that has a great cause and effect.

From crank outwards..

748 flywheel, spray, needle bearing, starter gears.

A machined "tube" to use as a spacer between flywheel and crank nut.

As the thread on the crank sits in the area for the spigot bearing, the bearing has to be removed and relocated to the outside of the alt cover.

The cover can only be machined to a depth of 7mm, as the thread on the crank is at a depth of 12.5mm.

As such, a 8mm wide bearing will protrude 1mm out. The standard bearing width is 10mm.
    I am making the inspection/ crank turning cover with a 34.98mm dia, 3mm deep recess to accept the standard 10mm wide bearing. Along with a 17.5mm dia bore for the crank spigot.

I will be going away from using c/sink screws, as this will pull the inspection cover to where the screws pull it. This may misalign the two bearing bores. A couple of button heads will be used.

The crank protrudes out of the cover by 5mm.

2. havnt you got a 1098 engine to put in it.....:thinkingface:

3. Not for that swingarm

4. thought you were a machinist...big lar did it...

5. I believe the 1098 was in another bike at the time.

6. thats moved on.......;):bucktooth:

7. 20191212_142333.jpg 20191212_142218.jpg 20191212_142228.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  8. I'm seriously impressed by the work, skill and thought that has gone into this project. I look forward to see how it turns out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Crankshaft flywheel nut spacer. EN24T steel.
    20191213_124134.jpg 20191213_124122.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  10. I just love the work stand :)
    How does one get hold of such a thing?

• Like Like x 3
  11. 996 rotor and flywheel with 851 starter gear..
    spacer 2.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tried to use the 996 gear but couldn't get it to mesh with starter gear. Measured 996 gear and the 851 gear O/D and the 996 is 4mm wider. Both are 70 tooth...
    spacer 1.jpg

Fitted the 851 gear, perfect fit..

• Like Like x 1
  13. Spacer in place..
    spacer 3.JPG

Cover fitted [pro temp] with no bearing in place to make it easier to put on and off..
    spacer 5.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  14. 851 crank protrudes 5mm past casing...
    spacer 4.JPG

FE milled an end cover to fit..
    spacer 6.JPG

#36 ducati dad, Dec 17, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Did you consider just spacering out the alternator case? I do not know how much you had to move it but a 6 or 8mm aluminium plate jigsawed out might have been easier, I think you might have had to extend the gear change shaft and possibly pump impeller shaft

16. @ducati dad - if your son did make it, he could easily take some pre-orders for those.
    I'm sure there would be a good few takers on here to make it worth his while. :)

17. @final_edition get building ;)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information