1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speed Cameras France

Discussion in 'Touring' started by J biker, Aug 22, 2021.

1. At least we are just dealing with the authorities and their cameras trying to get us here.
    In the UK it now seems that every busybody car driver has a webcam and they send footage to the police if they see anyone else doing something wrong. There are videos all over the internet from police forces showing what is obviously dashcam footage and then telling the watcher what fine they got and what the offence was. When I was young we used to call people who did this sort of thing a sneak, or a grass. Seems to be a national pastime in the UK now.

2. I have cameras in all our cars and also have fixed cams on the bike too. Not to send in cos someone was 5mph over a limit or failed to signal at a junction ( no-one seems to anyway) :) , but for my own protection because there are so many complete tw@ts about now on the roads.

Should I end up in collision with one of those tools, I wanna be able to prove who was at fault.

I have a 200+ mile round commute to my place of work...you would not believe the stunts I see on an almost daily basis. If it's been on a TV police show, I have encountered it ...well all bar a plane landing on the road :D

For Europe, I have all the cam locations on my nav device .. yeah I know you shouldn't, but I do. Now we are out of the European reich though, they will not be tracing us down anymore if we do hit a camera I understand? The exchange of info has ceased I am told?

3. Very typical in that you probably do not realise that the fixed speed camera locations in France are all legally publicised ad well signed. What is illegal is a radar detector to warn of mobile cameras. The mobile camera locations are publicised every day on local radio over here. As a visitor you probably won't have that information and when they stop you and fine you on the spot, they won't need to track you down.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. As a rule, when I visit another person’s place, I try to abide by their rules.

Now you come riding in a foreign country, ride like a maniac on public roads and complain about getting nailed? 255, Really? Didn’t your mama tell you this is dangerous for other users?

Seriously mate, how would you react if you saw a foreign plate passing you at 255 on the M25?

#44 Guillaume69, Aug 26, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Yes, I am aware that detectors are illegal in some Euro countries, the cameras though are an integral part of my Tomtom nav device. I could remove them I suppose, but I won't :) I tend not to ride like an arse so I tend not to attract the attention of the police. I have ridden literally thousands of miles in Europe without attracting the attention of any police. If I pull up, the nav device is off the bike and put in a topbox where it can't be thieved.

I actually I prefer it to riding here. The drivers are better and more courteous, the roads are better, the scenery can be great, the general public accepts bikers to a degree unheard of in the UK Even in Germany I dont ride at mach 3. Camera's tend not to bother me much, but's good to know where they are as a reminder to stay somewhere near the limits.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Thread resurrection- got flashed today near Avignon…. If the fine comes through, I’ll pay it. Nowt I can do if it doesn’t…

Reet, time for a nice glass of red and a bite to eat…. It’s not easy :D:upyeah:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Thread resurrection Spammer alert who has taken over fairy's account :scream:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. C’mon, it does have speeding and drinking content :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. You wont hear anything. DVLA no longer giver vehicle information to France, unlike before Brexit when the DVLA gave the info but the French equivalent didn’t.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nice one, thanks :)

I’ve been keeping an eye my speed. I’ve noticed a much higher sneaky police presence down here (unmarked vehicles). If you go banzai you’ll definitely get nicked. And it won’t be cheap :astonished:

11. Are you 100% sure about that?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. I do remember reading something along these lines a couple of years back. ^^^

13. 100%, it was a long running bone of contention whereby the French would not allow access to their vehicle owners database but the UK just said “help yourself”. It was a legality, something to do with France and UK have different laws as to owner/driver getting the fine IIRC.
    Anyway now the only way your going to get done is if Officer Crabtree the Gendarme actually stops you.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  14. The information below may be of interest, but I'm not sure its conclusive, so care is advisable:
    https://assets.publishing.service.g...lease-of-information-from-dvlas-registers.pdf .
    "Data sharing with other countries.
    DVLA shares vehicle data to enable other countries to check information on vehicles presented for registration. We also share driving licence data with other countries to allow them to decide the validity and authenticity of driving licences presented for exchange."
    No mention specifically of what happens in the case of motoring offences!
    Also, these links:
    https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tips-advice/106045/driving-europe-after-brexit-what-are-rules .
    "Speeding fines
    The UK’s departure from the European Union put an end to the cross-border directive, which was set up in 2015 to allow authorities in EU countries to pursue drivers for motoring offences, as long as their car was registered in an European Union country. After Brexit, the rules on EU countries chasing UK drivers for speeding fines is unclear, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. Authorities have the right to give speeding drivers on the spot fines if caught. "
    https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/consu...ivers-escape-eu-speed-camera-fines-due-brexit .
    "UK drivers to escape EU speed camera fines due to Brexit
    UK’s departure from the European Union puts an end to cross-border directive, leaving EU countries unable to enforce speeding penalties for drivers caught on speed cameras."
    https://www.driving.co.uk/news/roads/brits-will-escape-speeding-fines-eu-due-brexit/ .
    "But… UK government issues warning on speeding in the EU.
    The DfT told Driving.co.uk that British drivers may not be off the hook even if they’re not fined at the roadside in the EU, because the 1959 Council of Europe Convention on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters (MLA), which permits the exchange of information and evidence on criminal and administrative matters, will continue to apply to the UK."

Good luck,
    Tom.
    PS. These links make interesting reading:
    https://www.keithmichaels.co.uk/con...urance/info/guide-to-driving-offences-europe/ .
    https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...rning-traffic-fines-europe-law-changes-france .
    Together with the caution that countries may retain records of outstanding motoring offences, that may be revealed on re-entry in the future.

#54 RTD, Apr 15, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
  15. Not true. I have had fines since Brexit.

16. I find it truly incredible that you would believe this type of nonsense... Then again, a lot of people did swallow the pro-Brexit populist BS, so… :rolleyes:

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  17. Not only that but few caught doing 'excessive' speeds then you will have your licence taken away on the spot and your bike stranded where you are stopped.

18. I wouldn’t be surprised that there might be IT issues every now and then which could prevent one country to exchange data with another, based on uncoordinated software updates, or things of that nature, though. Which may explain why people sometimes don’t get fined.

I don’t think belonging to « Europe » or not has anything to do with this. Those type of data exchange agreements must be of bilateral nature, I am sure. Also, for criminal investigations, Interpol goes way beyond the European community perimeter, with close to 200 member countries, if I am not mistaken.

I totally agree that European laws can be a total pain in the butt and sometimes completely unadapted to some specific cultural aspects of some countries, but it shouldn’t be considered as the great evil enemy. I personally believe we need to work harder on making it more pratictical and a lot less expensive to run on a daily basis.

• Like Like x 2
  19. I'm just on the way back through France, having ridden down to Costa Daurada.
    Very few cameras and I saw one car with a camera set up.
    Either way, if any fines come through the post, they'll go in the bin, as they have always done.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information