1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speedo Packed Up

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by apuhtred, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Speedo just reads 0. Cleaned the bike and when I went for a ride speedo had stopped working. Took the sensor off and gave it a clean and followed the wire to a connector gave that a dose of wd40 but still no joy. Cable looks fine and after about 20mins run it all came on again for a couple of miles then went back to 0 any ideas?

2. Now been through diagnostics and it says it is an error 36 which is the sensor. Cable good so what can go wrong with a none moving switch. Funny I had just washed it and that it started to work again for a while.

3. Anybody know a way of testing the sensor

4. What about removing the sensor and leaving it somewhere warm overnight to dry out and trying it again the next day? Might work.

5. Am doing that thanks

6. Google "testing a hall sensor" maybe give you a lead.

7. As Nelson says, it should be easy to test. The speed sensor is a 3 wire Hall Effect Sensor.

The wires into it are
    Bn/R - to ECU PIN 22 Engine
    G - to ECU Pin 24 Body
    Bk/Y - to ECU PIN 20

The Bk/Y is ground. I can't work out which way round the others are but one will be a supply voltage and the other will be an output voltage. The output is the one that needs a meter putting on it to check that the voltage pulses between on and off. If you can get a probe into the connector and the other fly lead onto earth then you should identify which is which with ignition on. Once the output is identified then with ignition on and spinning the rear wheel slowly you should see the on/off reading.

I would also check the ECU connectors for any water ingress and spray with contact cleaner.

8. Cheers Chris. You must have the same circuit diagram that I have. Problem is I have different colours at the connector. Have been through the diagram and this is the only 3 wire connector and have followed the wires back from sensor so pretty sure I have the right connector. I have a
    Sensor Connector
    Grey/ White Green
    Orange/ Blue Black/Yellow
    Green Red/ Brown
    Am at a loss as to how to test as can not get probe tip into connector. Any suggestions welcome. Am just going to go to ECU and check those connections

9. they do die with out apparent cause, I have had the engine speed sensor go too.
    Measure the nose length and get one off ebay usually around £30 as opposed to £90 from MotoRapido for new

10. Android thanks for this what do you mean by the nose length?

Sorry re my wire colours did not come out as I typed it in but suffice it to say that are different. I presume this has been changed before and this is why I have different ones

11. Ok bit the bullet and stripped my wires back on the sensor side. I can only get a 5vdc signal which then changes to a negative 5v signal. My thinking was that I should see a battery voltage. Think a trip to Moto rapid is looming as am now worried it could be an ECU problem

12. The colours on the sensor side are different. Ducati do not list these as they're are from the manufacturer. You have to match the wires up with the Ducati loom colours at the connector. +5v would be right for the sensor (same voltage used by the TPS). Do get the + and - change when rotating the wheel? I will have my loan ECU back shortly if you want to borrow and see if it is the ECU.

13. I have had one of these give up , in fact the only thing that has ever given me issues with this ST in all the time i have owned it.
    Took a calculated risk with one from a breakers via E bay of a low mileage bike and its been fine since. As Android says , about £30 rather than £90 for new.
    If you could identify the part well enough you can open up all sorts of possible replacements from Fiats etc. The parts are in fact basic and widely used everywhere.
    Mine came from a different model of ducati but it works perfectly.

Good luck

14. ^ As above. Mine was from a 999 (I think) just had to cut/extend/solder the wires to fit.
    Cost a tenner(ish).
    Try Jim at BikeEnders....Top bloke...:upyeah:

15. if you remove the sensor from the wheel housing you can measure the length of the "nose" to the flange and be sure you get the same length......if you search "ducati sensor" on ebay they come up.

such as ..........
    DUCATI 848 1098 1198 SPEEDO SENSOR | eBay

16. Cheers boys. From what chrisw says it looks like the sensor is OK. Will have another play this weekend but will be glad of the loan of your ECU when you get it back. Have been quoted £120 for the sensor by Moto Rapido.
    Thanks all will keep you posted

17. Android thanks for that link have bought that just to rule out sensor. Many thanks for your help

Regards Steve

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bloody hell ordered yesterday and its here today thats service

19. Android many thanks that has fixed it. End of THREAD

• Like Like x 3
  20. Chaps
    If the speed sensor is malfunctioning, with zero shown most of the time on the speedometer even when on the move, would this somehow be linked with the temperature that the engine runs at, or more likely, the displayed temperature on the LCD panel?

My 2003 999S has stopped displaying a speed for 95% of the time, the rest of the time it shows either an accurate figure or a flickering set of numbers. The engine mgmt light is on when the speedo reads zero (and goes off whenit reads non-zero) but the odd thing is, the engine temp is reading anywhere from 2 to 5 deg C higher than its usual 69/70 deg C. No error codes are displayed when turning on ignition with the left-hand button held in.

I will start doing checks as described in the thread but I wanted opinions on the temperature reading issue in conjunction with a speedo reading issue before I go too far.

Thanks everyone.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information