1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Speedo/ Speed Sensor/ Odometer

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by slappywhite, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Imo if the speedo and ecu has been changed that only leaves the dash ... hopefully someone else may know for sure

2. Try a different loom too. As it could be a canbus fault.

#22 deleteduser211220, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2015
  3. what really pisses me off is the fact that it keeps putting miles on with just the ignition on. No other vehicle I've ever owned has done that with a ropey speedo and I don't want hundreds of pretend miles.
    It's going back to a dealer but I can see big bills coming.
    This is a rare problem, I'm just unlucky?
    Starting to think I'm not cut out for Ducatis. 3 Months in and not that happy

4. Once sorted matey you'll be ok, i was like that with my aprilia, loved the bike to ride but believe me the 2nd gen (twin headlamp version) was riddled with issues ... in 9 years i had
    4 stators
    3 rectifiers
    new wire loom
    New headlights ( split n cracked)
    New dash, screen would crack but mine just went haywire.
    Own made side stand as original was so crap the bikes just fall over
    earth cable problems
    Oil leaks from external oil tank.
    water pump oil and coolant leak
    and
    Fear of the rear suspension linkage snapping because of it being utter shit and under engineered, complete strip down every year to keep it safe and thats after adding aftermaket side plates that were thicker.
    :(
    Almost bought a hondazzzzzzzzz because of it lol

5. I'm not going Honda but this is starting to make my MV look like a model of reliability, it can at least use electricity properly.

6. Id say its a dash issue by the sounds of it, could be a short on the board but thats just an aprilia guesstimate

7. I have a dash you can try

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. You'll need the coded key chip for the dash as well

9. :(

10. Which of course means you need the barrell.

11. So you cant just swap a dash then ..... bummer

12. Just the chip. Take the antenna off the ignition barrel. Place the chip in the antenna and use the original key to switch on ignition.

13. thanks for the offers of dashes to try but I'm now booked in at Metropolis Barnet.
    If it needs a new dash then it needs a new dash but I'm out at that point, that is too much to go wrong in 3 months

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Slappy If you can get to Metropolis Barnet 25 minutes up the road in Welwyn Garden City is Bikers Realm, where i take my bikes to be serviced/looked at, as they are 100% trustworthy and much much cheaper (£250 for a full service for example).

My 749 caused me all manner of dash related problems and they sorted that, felt sorry for me at the amount of hours it took to rectify and charged me next to nothing as a cash deal. Let me know if you want their number.

#34 Pavey, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Not unhappy with Metropolis Barnet, they seem very reasonable so far
    Bought the bike from a dealer at the end of June, is this just 'one of those things' or could I go back to the dealer? I've needed a chain/sprocket set as well as this in just 3000 miles. There was no mention of after sales guarantee

16. All fixed. Not the dash, not the ECU.

It was a corroded earth, (apparently Ducati are aware of this happening in some cases).

Metropolis Barnet were very good, I'll go back there again.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Great news .... and thanks for posting what the problem was, its so annoying when people dont do that lol

18. Great news, on both counts. Are you able to reset the mileage now to what it should be?

19. No, the miles are still there - I have no idea how many extra I have (I know it put on 50 instead of 8 in one trip to Barnet)
    I'll have to live with a couple of hundred too many miles, I've put on 3000 since I got it and that should really only be 2500, tops.

20. Great that it was a lower cost solution. Did they identify the earth that was the culprit?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information