1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Split Sl Exhausts

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Nasher, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Hi all

I have a pair of Genuine Superlight Exhaust Silencers in the garage that I want to use on my current project, but have noticed today that both of them are split.
    The Stainless Steel flange that the outer alloy tube goes over at the front of the silencers has split away from the cone section on both of them over almost 180 degrees. Right across the tops.

An easy TIG job if I can get the silencers apart.
    All I can find is the 3 Pop Rivets in the other end, do they hold the whole thing together?

Also, whilst I'm in there I might as well make sure they breathe nice and easy.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks

Nasher.

2. A bit more detail in pictorial form.

The only external fasteners apart from the mounting bolts are the three pop rivets in the end cone.

Has anyone ever had a pair of these apart?

Thanks

Nasher.

SL split 2.jpg

SL split 1.jpg

3. I opened mine up years ago, so relying on memory here!
    The pop rivets only hold the end cap on - if you drill them out, you can drift the cap out from the aluminum tube. This allows you to then drift the tube off the front cap. This was the worst job (if you want to preserve the tubes), as you only have the edge of the tube to work on, and there's likely corrosion between tube and the cap.
    Inside, there's a thin layer of insulation over a mesh tube over a complete mildsteel structure, running full length. This is welded up to the front cap and link tube, so no further disassembly. The 'structure' holds 2 baffles (creating 3 chambers), connected by some smaller diameter tubes, as well as the bosses to pick up the mounting brackets.
    To make it breath easier (!), I went through the mesh at an angle, and drilled some holes in the baffle plates - made it a tad louder, but not much else.
    To core them, you'd need to come at it with an angle grinder! I did this on another pair of silencers (keeping the originals), but to keep them looking standard (they're all that loud officer) I ended up effectively building them from scratch.
    Hope this helps.

4. Thanks Hejira

That's a bit of a worry.
    If I drift the sleeve off I'd imagine I'm just going to propagate the split around the rest of the flange.
    Although at least it will come off a bit easier I suppose, but will be a bigger welding job.

Just have to dive in next weekend and see what happens.

Nasher.

5. Be interested to see when you've opened them up. Can't understand why they'd crack there - its not as if they're stressed up or anything

6. Will make sure I take some piccies.

Annoyingly I've had them for @3yrs, and even had them fitted briefly to my last project, but have only just noticed they are split.
    Not such a cheap buy after all.

Nasher.

7. Managed to get 1/2hr in the garage last night and got the sleeve off one of the cans.

It actually came off quite easily with a few taps on a Nylon rod used as a drift.

Once I have the other one off I'll fire up the TIG set, then consider exactly what I'm going to do to the baffles.

Ex in 1.jpg

Ex in 2.jpg

This is how the gasses flow through them.

Ex in 3 copy.jpg

Nasher

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. could have split due to vibration as stainless can fracture

9. WP_20150919_17_49_22_Pro.jpg

convert the internals to this type much better

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information