1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports In / Out Of The Olympics.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Alan williams, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Didn’t it all start off as martial activities, like shooting, fencing, throwing spears and heavy things, wrestling, horse riding and “running away”?

I’m not sure whose army was expected to excel at the “running away”?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Charging :rolleyes: Chaaaaarrrggggeeee :mad:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Break dancing... really?
    We need town planning and mixed sculpturing to be reintroduced, just like the old days.

4. I read that as marital - and still sort of made sense

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Might as well introduce the millennial triathlon too - rockery, pottery and flower-arranging...

• Like Like x 1
  6. I think perhaps they are trying to introduce the right sports so that every country gets medals.

Perhaps we should list every country and suggest the sport they are most likely to win ?

7. No......next thing it will be cheese rolling!

And the gold medal goes to......Tarquin Snotgobbler-Smythe!

8. Oh! Well done Tarquin. Do you know him too?

9. [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. According to Wikipedia, the 1900 games were accompanied by events including Angling, Ballooning, Boules, Cannon shooting, Croquet, Fire fighting, Kite flying, Life saving, Longue paume, Motor racing, Motorcycle racing, Pigeon racing, and Water motorsports; and the 1912 games implemented events for literature, sculpture, painting, architecture and music. Several of those sound more interesting than the usual boring running and jumping.

11. At least men and women can compete against each other in the same events now.

/run away

12. I’m sure there was a documentary about the olympics a while back, some of the early sports were definitely interesting.
    Seem to remember an obstacle course using old car tyres etc.

13. If you caster your mind back that’s been allowed for a while :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Not in the Olympics, Mister!

15. Sorry, bad joke.

16. I liked it.

17. Phew, I’m just glad you got it. A laugh is a bonus point.

18. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

19. Then it would be racing, and on topic.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information