1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sportsbike Shop

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by hypermotbloke, May 25, 2021.

1. I'd have to side with @bradders on this. I work in an industry that has heavily relied on contractors and I've got a few people that fall in this bracket. Most have either become permanent employee's or fixed term perm. One finishes his contract in a week and is going perm elsewhere as the contracts aren't available or attractive enough for him. Most companies aren't willing to take any risks so massively reduced their use of contractor's.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. I did the sums for me. I got lucky, got a large salary (£20k over market) plus a good bonus scheme. And even tho I am 15-20k cash down PA on what I was earning contracting, HMRC still takes less revenue as I paid VAT (non recoverable to my client in Ins), Corp tax, reasonable personal tax. It costs the client way more in real terms as it’s pension, sick pay, holiday pay, NI, employee benefits such as healthcare.

We know employ only inside IR35 or FTC, umbrella companies are raping and running (industry has zero regulation and controls), day rates haven’t increased and we have lots who start for 3m then jump ship if something better comes up. Projects take longer, stress is higher, contractor reputation thru the floor.

1.3m people in the U.K. are at risk of this legislation on back door taxes.

Ok the plus side, be great to see linekar lose his IR35 case

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Off subject .............. ,
    HMRC are really after those big companies who for years have been using self-employed and/or unbrella staff & consequently have not been paying "real" staff holiday pay, sick pay, etc & more importantly, not paying any pension contributions & income tax for those people into the government coffers.
    This has been going on for many years & while there are honest self-employed people "paying their dues", be that collecting VAT for HMRC, paying corporation tax, etc many, many have not been doing so. As we all live longer & longer so the pressure on our state pensions & the like, (health service too), grows. More people, living longer, someone has to pay either more, for longer or both. However you look at this the cost increases & someone has to pay, somewhere, or services need to be cut.

HMRC decided rather than chase these people themselves with all the complications that would entail, it would be far easier if they made the contract staff hirer liable for any monies due.
    Hence all this hulabloo about IR35. These companies s**t themselves, oh my God now we're liable & we can't turn a blind eye to it anymore !!
    The two areas I work in, contract aircraft maintenance & LGV driving, have both been badly affected by IR35.
    When you initiially undertake a contract you should sit down with your prespective employer & answer some simple question, (freely available on HMRC's own web site). Depending upon your answers it tells you whether you are inside or outside of IR35 for that contract.
    Many companies, espicially BIG ones like British Airways have just taken the easy option & said "you're within IR35" regardless, because they simply can't be bothered & they don't want the hassle of speaking to each individual.
    Other companies have answered these HMRC questionaires without the contractor present & again, decided that the contarct staff fall within IR35. Simple, make their life simple.
    As a contractor, if you pay for things like your own PPE, training, tools, travel, hotel/B&B costs, etc you will most likely fall outside IR35.

There are permanent employees who are PAYE who think that self-employed people get away with paying very little into the government coffers without fully appreciating what ALL the pros & cons are. They think people like me are always scamming & getting away with all sorts. It is easy to for a biased, inaccurate opinion to be arrived at when not in possession of true, accurate facts.

Back to the Sportsbikeshop, I have been waiting since last September for a rear sprocket for my 750SS. It's the suppliers that are holding up stock, be that raw materials, BREXIT is getting blamed too as is covid.
    There's most likely a little truth in all of these reasons to be honest. Prior to all these factors the Sportsbikeshop have been brilliant whenever I have used them so I have no doubts that any delays are not their fault directly.
    Basically it seems we've all just got to have more patiance, a lot more if my experiance is anything to go by !!:joy:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. These Bast*rds have let me down today with a brake hose I ordered and paid extra for 48hr delivery.

It's not even left them yet, let alone been delivered.

5. They emailed me today to tell me there is now a 1 month delay toy order :scream:. Fortunately not in a hurry. Not had any issues before mind.

6. I ordered some leathers yesterday after lunch. They got here at 12:40 today…..

I know that doesn’t help anyone who’s waiting but I would guess it’s a case of what’s in stock…?

• Like Like x 1
  7. We work with a lot of European suppliers. We place an order, they confirm a delivery date.
    This can be at least 14 week and up to 70. A fair few tell us on the day shipping is due, "sorry it’s not coming now and don't know when it shall" plastics + metals + all raw materials and capacity are blamed.
    Moreover the production management of the factories are not accepting chases, expedites or escalations.

Expectation is that this shall remain well into Qtr 2 2022

8. Ah Johnny, another purchasing Waller I assume, it's nice to feel I'm not alone.

It's a bit like hard work at the moment isn't it?

Electronic components on a 52 -104wk lead time.
    No Billet or sheet Ali available off the shelf.
    And as for injection Mould powder - who knows.

9. This takes me back to the mid 80’s when I used to work for the largest joinery company in the UK at the time (we used to manufacture 35,000 doors a week and had T/O of £80m p.a back then) and delivery of shitty 35mm hardboard faced doors we used to make was on a 72 weeks delivery lead time. And even then we’d be 4-5 weeks late.

Ahh the good old days :upyeah:

10. Well Nash buy and sell is my game. Silly situation and there is going to be a big crash like all the other times.

El Toto - yep some crap in the system too now, counterfeiting is on the rise

11. Update - the leathers went back late last week and replacement set arrived today. Shame I don't like them either sop they are winging their way back to Boston.

Farewell and adieu.......

Do Not Sell My Personal Information