1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sportsbikes: Why Bother?!

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by bradders, Jul 9, 2017.

1. 'cus they're cool....:cool:
    IMG_0735_zps83050715.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. I do tend to have more fun on my Z1000. Although I don't think I could sell my rsv4.... Dunno why... Just can't... I always say to my mate every year when we go to the tt "next year I'll take the zed or the hyper but never do"... Its kinda like it's, it's job.... Plus mines the pre aprc edition... Probably for another thread but I reckon the price of pre electronics package bikes will go up in the future the more the nanny state gets its foot in the door.

I don't use the rsv4 that much but when I do... Its an occasion... Almost like d just bough it a month ago and I was having my second on go on it...

• Like Like x 1
  3. I've done more miles on my RD350LC this year than any of the hyper bikes in the garage, and enjoyed every minute. :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. I know what your saying don't think I could sell my 1198 either.

5. this is why innit

IMG_20170224_141842.jpg

IMG_20170224_141942_hdr.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Speed isn't what lights me up, accelerating and braking or going round corners at silly speeds, marvelling at not dying in the process. Awesome! :D

7. im not into that stuff anymore but i love their look and its as much about the tangible intangibles for me and the ownership experience as it is the riding stuff...

• Like Like x 1
  8. I dunno, I think you can be more on/off on something like the Multi... wind it up, yank it around and then hit the brakes. On a sports bike you're planning further ahead as you need to commit a bit/lot more. That's a bit hard with the two-way traffic and standards of driving. Hence in the so-called real world you can be as effective on something that accelerates and brakes like a goon as a big old litre bike. Ducati's do pull really well, whereas the current crop of high-revving litre bikes need really winding up, same goes for something like an R6. Not saying that in the right hands they'll not scalp a Multi, but in the hands of most of us mortals it's actually hard work to get a big sports bike WOT and properly chugging.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. I was thinking more about something like a 2v Ducati than an S1KRR :D

Scrambler is a hoot!

Whenever I walk into a shop though, it's sports bikes I go look at first... they're exquisite.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Exactly.
    There are three variables, the bike, the rider and the road.
    If anyone on the road is regularly coming close to what a modern performance bike, sports or Multi, is capable of they won't be doing it for very long. IMHO of course.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. My 2012 Multi has a detuned 1198 super bike engine, that means it has had some taken off the top and added to the middle, that makes it a better engine for the road. Again IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. A bit like supermodels, but would you like to have one for every day ;)

13. Not if they made my wrists ache like the 'blade does...

• Like Like x 1
  14. My Streetfighter is my sports bike. With some modestly priced suspension upgrades it handles as well or better than many a true sportsbike. The riding position is focused enough to work but not so extreme that it can't be ridden all day and its nakedness makes it a more visceral riding experience at road speeds so its capabilities can be appreciated in real life. It just works.

Saying that, I was on my 1190 Adv today and ran up behind a ZX10 on a twisty back road and it was a bloody nuisance. He was quick enough to stop me getting past safely on the few short straightish bits (sneaking through on the brakes on a back road too narrow to have a white line down the middle isn't a very good idea - though I'd have been tempted on the SF) but he held me back through the bends. I was itching to attack them harder - and on a mile high adventure bike with "only" 150 bhp at the flywheel, a 19" front wheel and touring tyres - but he was in the way. And I ain't that good. Its all relative.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. An emphatic YES !!!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Good question. My only answer is 'just because'.

Twelvey is likely to be my last one though. I was considering a Pikes, but decided to have one last fling on either r1m or 1299s. I chose 1299s as its red and matey's r1m on the road is a pain.

I'll always have my 916.

17. 'Why do people bother when a multi does all the speed and handling in comfort.'

Answer: cos they look shit !

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information