1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sportsbikes: Why Bother?!

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by bradders, Jul 9, 2017.

1. OK Bradders that is impressive but imagine what you could do on a bike with a lower cg?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. An argument that will never be resolved as different riders have different requirements and for any one rider, they can (and probably will) change over time. I had sports bikes for years, always wanting the latest and fastest, then realised I was losing the point of what riding is all about. Gone were the shorter, more casual rides as I couldn't conceive of riding without full leathers etc. and then there was having to put up with such discomfort. Here's what I have realised:-

Sports bikes ARE uncomfortable. The only riders who deny that are either young enough to not really notice it, or simply kidding themselves because they want to be seen riding such a racy bike.

A fairing on a bike is for one or both of 2 reasons. Weather protection and/or aerodynamics (neither of which interest me now).

Sports bikes are NOT faster on the road than most other types of bike. If anyone can prove otherwise, they are heading for either the hospital, the mortuary, jail or if lucky, life without a license.

Each rider has their own speed or pace at which they are comfortable and it matters little what bike they ride. Their mood and how they feel at the time will have far more impact on the speed at which they ride. But given the same circumstances and disposition, a rider will ride any bike of approximately the same performance at approximately the same speed.

That last point is what so many riders don't get. Each convinced that they'd be faster on a faster bike. But why would they be?

On an essentially straight road (i.e. where speed is not limited by corners) at what speed does anyone actually ride? Basically it's a balancing act between how much fun you want to have and the risk of being caught for speeding. That's a judgement you make each time and has nothing to do with the ultimate performance of the bike you're riding - unless you are prepared to ride at such illegal speeds that you will end up in jail and I'm sure most of you do not want that.

What about speed around a corner? Sure, a full on sportsbike will have the right riding position on great suspension, with great race track derived chassis geometry and probably great tyres, but is that what limits your speed? No of course not. The speed at which you can take a corner is essentially limited to how far you can see around it in order to negotiate the corner and/or any obtacles that might exist in your path. In which case, how could a Panigale get you around that corner faster than say a Multistrada. Can sportsbikes make light bend around a corner so you can see further? No-one in their right mind (and wishing to stay with a healthy body) is taking corners on the road at a speed which requires the very best in suspension set up to ensure grip is maintained when a lesser bike (such as a Multi) would lose it. Really, if you are cornering at such a speed on the road (never come across anyone who does, I have to say) you won't be for long.

I understand that sportsbikes look fantastic and you want to be seen riding one, but also understand that it won't make you faster.

When I finally grasped this in 2012, I bought a new FireBlade and took the plastics off to make what would now be referred to as a Super Naked (see here). And Super it is too. All the performance of a 'Blade, but actually comfortable for as long as I want to ride and I don't feel the need to don a full leather ridiing suit just to hop on and ride somewhere. Trust me, its performance on the road is in no way compromised by what I have done. In fact it feels way faster and this is a good thing. It is more fun to ride at e.g. 80 mph then a regular 'Blade (other sports bikes are available :) ) is at 120 and that's good for anyone's license.

There's no question that a fully faired sports bike would be faster on the race track, but I no longer ride there. If I did, I'd have a bike totally suited to that purpose. But now, like the majority of riders, all my riding is on the road and a sports bike is totally and utterley pointless. Even Michael Neeves (MCN) admitted this in a recent Super Naked test. Crunched up over the fuel tank, knees by your elbows and pain emanating from your wrists is not conducive to having fun on a motorcycle and that's what I like to do. Sports riding, cruising, off-road, it's all fun. I still have a faired sports bike and love to look at it, but no longer have any desire to ride it on the road.

I'm not alone in my changing allegiance away from full on sport bikes and of course everyone is different. But everyone should understand why we ride at the speed we do and that a faster bike won't necessarily make you faster on the road and thinking that it would doesn't make you a better rider.

I would encourage anyone to ride on track (and/or off-road) and get a feel for what a motorcycle is capable of. Either WILL make you a better rider on the road. I'm not trying to implore anyone to slow down on the road, just pointing out that the real limitations are not the bike you ride.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Also, 20+ years ago, we all rode sports bikes because upright stuff handled shit(XS, XJR, CB's, Zeds and all other vertical dross), but here we are now whereby the nakeds and the "old mans" upright stuff now properly handle. So then begs the question, other than the vanity of a sports bike, why ride them ??
    For the track yes, for the road ? I'm no longer convinced also. And yes, I still own one, but every time I open the garage to go for a blast (On the road), I always end up taking the Multi, its just more fun than a sports bike on our shit British tarmac ;)

PS. Lovely looking conversion, supplied kit or something you fabricated ?

#83 Wayne58, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2017
  4. The headlamp etc is from a 600 Hornet, modified to fit. The rest is pretty much what's left after you remove the main plastics. Relatively easy on a bike not encumbered with unnecessary electronics. I've since done the same to a VFR1200F (makes another great bike, especially for long European trips) and although the big VFR is not overly burdened with electronics, what it has made the job much harder.

In truth, it's now easy to buy several great Super Nakeds. Even Aprilia's Tuono 1100 now has fuel consumption acceptable enough to make it a very attractive proposition.

But will Ducati release a naked version of their forthcoming V4?

• Like Like x 3
  5. I took my Tuono on a 3,000 mile tour last year, which included a multi and 5 sports bikes. Most the guys on sports bikes were no spring chickens but had absolutely no issue with comfort, in fact, I was the youngest (30) and suffered with the most cramp thanks to the high pegs on the Tuono. Sports bikes can make exillent touring machines if the ergos are suited to the rider, clearly some are far more cramped than others - I found the RSV4 particularly uncomfortable.

I now ride a 675R which is actually increibly comftable (relitevltly low pegs), fast, light and agile - personally I can't see why you would need/want an adventure style bike over a sports/naked bike for road riding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I have no issues touring on my Panigale. It's a very comfortable ride.

7. As an older rider, ahem! , and having had many very high performance sports bikes, i totally get what you say about the allure and sensation of a sports bike. Its also , sadly, very true that you rarely get to use them certainly not in the South East of England.
    It is also a fact that no matter how fit you keep yourself ( still competing in mountain bike races) as you get older, joints, eyesight and risk averseness diminish the sportsbike thrill, at least for me.
    Its a conundrum ( havent used that word in ages, ha!) as i still want to see the tricked up 749 in the garage, but dont want to ride it for longer than an hour? So, its the ST4s for me, with a compromise on looks but still with real world performance.
    Its all biking though, and whats good for one person at a certain age might not be good for another.
    Respect each others choices and enjoy your own machine, says I.

• Like Like x 1
  8. You can tour on anything but its a hell of a lot easier carrying luggage on a bike that's been designed for it and of course many people who tour have a pillion to think about.
    I've never cared for sports bikes, for the road at least (I'd have nothing else for track riding) because, the bigger ones especially, only really start to make sense and give of their best at speeds which isn't always possible on the road. I prefer supernakeds and I've got two of those but I've got an adventure upright as well and the dynamic is completely different. For touring its the upright every time. Its not about weather protection, there's something about that commanding riding position that just does it when riding through an unfamiliar landscape. Its somehow the perfect platform for exploring.
    And any of the top-end road-going adventure bikes with a good rider aboard will be a match for a sports bike through the bends on a public road, which goes back to my first point: to deliver their potential sports bikes usually need high speeds and where those speeds can't be achieved on public roads they have no advantage.

I'm lucky, I have more than one bike but if I had to have just one to do everything, it wouldn't be a sports bike. It would be an upright or a road-orientated (rather than a stripped sports bike) naked. Probably, and with a pang because I love my Superduke and Streetfighter, it would be the upright because its of load-carrying and touring capability.

9. My gsxr and 1198 are more comfy than my old hyper 796 over longer journeys. Hyper knackered my back up.

10. I've toured twice this year, first trip on a 1299 & second on a S1000RR.
    I found both trips a pleasure ( slightly more comfy on the SThou - heated grips & cruise) and no problems with comfort & ergos.
    There are ample storage options on sports bikes these days ( extra storage = extra unnecessary shit carried) & I never carry a pillion.
    I commute daily & prefer both bikes over the Multi & GSA ( again SThou has edge coz of the folding mirrors).
    I've done a track day & prefer a superbike.
    I've had the adventure & naked stuff in my garage during warranty work & I find neither emotive.
    The original question was Sportbikes : why bother? - well they definitely work for me.
    I love them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I'm 6ft 3 and 18 stone so I have always avoided sports bikes like the plague preferring not to look like I have just stolen a childs mini moto and through fear if I rode one for longer than 5 minutes that I would be crippled for life. I've always tended to ride adventure bikes but mostly sports tourers.

The one time I owned a sports bike was after a test ride and even now some 10 years later, define it as probably the best all round bike I have ever had and am seriously considering buying one again. I once was offered a job at Honda Swindon and went down on the zzr1400. a short time after I was asked down to a second round interview and by this time I had bought a 07 750 gsxr. I lived in Norfolk at the time so the trip was a 300 mile round trip in one day. Most of the trip was fast A roads, Kings Lynn to Peterborough to Northampton, to Oxford then Swindon, some more a than A.

The same trip on the gixxer was not only more rewarding but just as comfortable. Most in here and dare I suggest most bike forums, are not Ewan and Charley and most trips will be day, possibly 2 day trips but in the gixxers case I loved every ride I went on

I would have no problem using the gixxer over any other bike. Not all sports bikes are better but there are far more good ones than people think.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information