1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Sprocket Dilema

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Bumpkin, Jun 17, 2021.

1. I've posted this in the Technical Section, but if you don't mind, I'll add it to this thread:

@OoRanoO or anyone else for that matter..

My bike has been into Ducati Leeds (who have been great) for a bit of work. One of the issues was a recent 'fault' with the quickshifter that was the same as yours. Shift up but not down.

My bike runs a 14t front sprocket and has done for two years with no issue.

I needed the tyre calibration to be completed, but worked faultlessly afterwards. Since the issue arose, I have tried to calibrate but with no success. Ducati have changed the QS unit but state that a change in gearing will stop it performing downshifts, yet it's worked for over two years.

Any thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  2. I run a 42T rear and had to re-calibrate after fitment as the quick shifter wouldn’t down shift, but it was fine after recalibration and has been fine ever since

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mine was the same after fitting a 42T and was sorted once calibrated :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pretty damned infuriating, there are no options for 42T rear sprocket that work with a carrier without going to 525 chain, then I'm onto something of an unknown in terms of the fit/offset of the front sprocket. The other day I managed to secure an unused JTA760B JT carrier on eBay for £50 that arrived this morning. So looks like it's going to be a 41T Renthal one instead, paired with the JT cushioned front.

#24 Bumpkin, Sep 6, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  5. No one has stock of 41T rear sprockets that will fit my carrier either, Renthal are looking at the beginning of 2022 before they have stock apparently. So have ordered JT 14/40, will have to see how that pans out with a 7% gearing change. If it's too much I can always revert back to stock at the minimal cost of a front sprocket. Not what I intended but supply seems to really be an issue at the moment.

6. Hello.
    I can't help with your search for a chain, but I am just finalising purchase of some Ducati parts direct from Italy to UK, which has been problematic. So in my case the goods are exported from Italy, and imported into UK.
    It seems the following is the case for motorcycle parts brought through this route.
    Under the terms of “The EU–UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement (TCA)” arrangements, if the consignment value of the goods is less than £135 (€150), VAT is paid in Italy (EU) and there should be no additional customs duty or carrier charge for brokerage, unless they impose a handling charge, but that should be small.
    If the consignment value is greater than £135, VAT should not be charged in Italy (EU) and should be paid on the cost of goods, shipping charges, plus customs duty, at 20% import VAT with a carrier brokerage fee of between £8 - £12.
    The customs duty is not easy to calculate if needed, but the UK Government provide a commodity code look-up at:
    https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff . If you search there is a Motorcycle commodity code that can be expanded depending on the precise parts: https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/headings/8714 .
    However, customs charges should not be applied to products of EU origin, due to the ‘rules of origin’ agreement between the UK and the EU. This means that orders are customs duty exempt if products have been largely produced and manufactured in the EU, and the seller can help by making this declaration on the invoice.
    So, if you wish to buy from an EU supplier, who is prepared to export to the UK, and you know the necessary additional charges, goods may still be purchased from the EU countries. However, if the goods are over the £135/€150 limit, it is advisable to ask the supplier not to apply local VAT to the order, and to declare manufacture in the EU, to minimise total costs payable when the goods arrive in the UK.
    Another option, would be to separate the purchases into parts bought separately, if the consignment cost of each can be kept below the €150 limit.
    I'm sorry if this is long-winded, but it is not straightforward, and its easy to incur charges that should not be made if you exercise care. Also, the carrier charge estimates cannot always be relied on, and should always be checked before payment is made.
    This Which link is quite informative: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-ri...ay-vat-import-and-handling-costs-ajPOC6A5brEA .
    If you know about this already, I apologise in advance for taking-up your time.
    However, if you reconsider purchasing your chain and sprockets from an EU supplier, I hope this helps.
    Otherwise disregard it all!
    Tom.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Can also confirm, just swapped to a supersprox 42t, quick shifter would not operate going down the gears until tyre recalibrated. Then perfect, took around 2mins.

8. Thanks for taking the time with that Tom. Yes, it's a minefield that can also be influenced by what the supplier does at the other end regarding declarations and the interpretation at the border. There are some relative unknowns when looking at prices and with a full chain and sprocket set from the likes of Carpimoto being €200 inc. shipping there's going to be a heavy extra hit in addition once the order is landed in the UK. Added to which this is for a kit with a solid rear sprocket, I'm looking at carrier options for future ease of change and lower cost.

It's a done deal now, 14/40 JT and DID combo has been ordered.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Thanks :upyeah: Have done recalibration on tyre change so I'm familiar with the process.

10. Couple of questions…How many links does the standard 1260 chain have (with 15/40 setup) and how many does it need for the 15/42 setup? Also what is the recommended chain and sprocket combo to buy for going to 15/42? Thanks and sorry if I’m asking what’s already been answered a thousand times. Mist admit I find some tight corners too twitchy in 2nd and just slightly too chuggy in 3rd so think 15/42 might suit me better. Maybe I just need to ride it better as is!

11. You can just change the rear 40t to 42t, chain fits either.

12. Std is 114 links. This will work with 14/40 and 15/41, not so sure about 15/42. Sure, it'll fit but it puts the eccentric hub further round in the swingarm which might effect ride height one way or the other. I'd heard of recommendation of 116 link with this combo. Carpimoto sell a kit with that configuration.

I couldn't find a carrier type sprocket with 42T in 530, plenty in 525 which might be an option next time around but front sprocket selection then becomes an issue with offset.

Emailed both JT and Renthal re. the possibility of adding a 530 42T rear to their range, there seems to be a demand, but no reply...

Anyone know the torque for the carrier nuts for JT/Renthal carrier to sprocket nuts? Have seen a YouTube video that mentions 20Nm, will go with that if no other opinions/knowledge.

13. Just to add to this thread almost a year and a pitiful additional 5,000 miles later. The 14/40 set-up works very well for my needs. No problems to report and only a few adjustments in that time, wearing well.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information