1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Sps...what To Look Out For?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Chris.King1, Jul 21, 2018.

1. So, I've had a 748E, 916, 749R and now the SPS. Apart from the obvious such as valves, rockers, etc. Is there anything the SPS suffers from? Ta.

2. I'd also be interested in reading the advice of the ones who have experience on those bikes as I'm on the look out for a nice one.

From what I've read so far it doesn't seem that the SPS (916/996) has real additional particular "weak points" in addition to the other 916/996 models from the same year?
    Main advice I've seen it to refrain from reving the engine too much to the red line, that's where it would start to be exposed to more rapid wear.
    Would be good to confirm/complement indeed.

EDIT: my bad, I didn't see you were referring to the 748 model; I had the 916/996 in mind

#2 Anje, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  3. make sure its got the alloy rear subframe.

4. Weak generator and regulator.
    Starter solenoid - little plug in the back - tie wrap it in place.
    Temp gauge face can crack.
    Coolant reservoir can crack.
    Swing arm spindle can seize in place making it impossible to remove, virtually.
    Fairing lower half dzus can fall out leading to impression of swan taking off...tape along the centreline prevents this.
    Etc.
    Basically, same issues as all early 748/9*6 models.

5. Thanks, I heard they suffer rocker flaking, more than other models due to the revvy nature...oil looks good though. Might just bite the bullet and get all 16 spare ones I have in the loft redone at Newman Cams. Or keep as spare and replace if needed.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information