1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SS 1000 DS won't start

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by daeno, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Hello all,

Tried to start the SS 1000 DS today. Usually takes a couple tries of (choke-on) : crank 5 sec. / rest 10 sec. / crank 5 sec. / rest 10 sec with the familiar pumping sound... then he eventually fires and builds to his 2,000 rpm cold idle.

BUT, today he decided to do only 2 rounds of crank'n'rest and suddenly stopped. Fuel pump makes its noise with the key, now he sounds like he's just spinning the starter motor (battery seems strong), but no turnover, no pumping, no nothing... just churning the starter.

Any ideas ?

Cheers

2. Sprag clutch slipping maybe. How many miles on it?

3. 27000 km. Sprag clutch ?

4. Update : put him in first and pushed the bike a bit to move the motor/mechs. Tried again and now he pumps the motor without firing.

Fouled plugs?

5. AS 900streetfighter
    said it must be sprag clutch. Number 21 on drawing.
    432.jpg

432.jpg

6. Yes see if the plugs are sparking.

7. Will do. Thanks everyone.

8. Daeno - so what was the problem? Did you get to the bottom of it?

9. Just had to replace the engine speed sensor on mine, starter would spin the engine over but not start and no fault code

#9 Android, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  10. @conkers not had a chance yet, big project and crap weather haven't helped.

@Android that sounds scary ...

Will keep you posted

11. UPDATE : finally got the time, and weather, to have a crack at getting the SS started.

Original battery recharged and new plugs (NGKs, old plugs (Champions) were well-carbonised).

No dice. It will pump the engine, but not fire. Not even a fart.

A jump-start from a car and it reluctantly started after 3 tries, but refuses to hold idle without choke.

Consensus was the battery must be knackered ... wouldn't be the first time a battery criples a bike.

New battery installed. It pumped the engine nice and strong for the first try (standard routine as described in manual : 5 sec. on / wait 10 sec.). Then it got progressively and very quickly weaker over the next two tries. Now it will hardly turnover the engine. How can it chew a freshly-charged brand-spanking-new battery to bits in under 60 sec ? Or do I have a dud battery ?

At a complete loss ...

12. try checking battery terminals and earths
    also could be the battery leads ?
    added extra leads on mine transformed the starting

13. Thread resurrection...Found as I've got a problem with my 1000ss starting.

Battery reads 12.50 on a meter, press the starter and all I get is a click...

14. Is the starter solenoid the same set-up as the carbed SS on the 1000DS......??

If so, check that the little white plug and wire hasn't come out of the solenoid...........where it would be on the DS, sorry don't know.

Will your bike bump start in 2nd gear and keep running?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information