1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ss Front Cylinder Noise.. Increases When On Stand

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by chueewowee, Apr 7, 2017.

1. not really ; no revving over 9,000 rpm 'under any circumstances' - the writer lacks imagination. :grin: Hiroshima, 1945?

2. Ta for that. I'm not surprised. It's tempting, especially if 750 etc barrels can be put on top, if the circumstances arose... what do you think of that plan?

Too much power for me perhaps? :anguished: Not enough chance for the big boys to catch me on the straight? :tongueout:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Just get a 750 engine?

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Or a 900??

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. What is the best for long term care and maintenance, regarding reliability, parts, price, availability? top power isn't all important for a road bike to me. Only useable, serene power, torquey and the handling, of course.

I'd ought to get twin front disks then too... so its much more... 'Sterling'

#85 chueewowee, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
  6. The later 796 engines use 88mm pistons hypermotard and monster.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Thanks I'll consider this option. sounds like a good'un.. do they go straight in and as carbies?
    Meanwhile I'll read up on them more from wikipedia.

8. So you think Ducati lack imagination? The extract is from the 1997 Owner's Handbook.

Maybe that's why your piston gudegeon pin bosses are shagged - someone has been over-revving it.

9. The 900 has a dry clutch, which is much simpler to work on and gives more grunt so won't need to be thrashed
    Smaller engines do tend to get thrashed more

10. The 600 is well known to be light on power, 750 is good by all accounts, ask Al, however the 900 is the best! Its power is all useable on the road, loads grunt and easy to mod should you wish. Far more desireable than the smaller engines (apart from the 350 and 400, which are rare)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Head over to the Desmo Due race series as they know all about 600 and 620s.
    I believe that Kev (Skidlids) even found a source for replacement pistons, or had some made.
    Ducati Sporting Club

• Like Like x 1
  12. That could be true, hadn't quite crossed my mind - something I would never do - overrevving as the cause of it. No I don't think Ducati lack imagination, it was my lame effort at a joke. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#92 chueewowee, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
  13. Sounds great. I'm going to get this going as a smaller engine whilst I seek a larger one and preparing that.
    The 400 is a good package then? I can get hold of 400 top end.

14. Cheers for this. I'll check it out.

15. I used to regularly hit max revs at full throttle on my 750 SS. Almost never on the 999. There's so much more power available that a twist of the throttle and a dollop of revs delivers all I need.

16. [​IMG]
    Refitted head. Took trouble to re paint nicely. Left worn finish on valve covers - fine by me.
    Fitted a new gudgeon pin (aka wrist pin). I used the old piston: having obtained one form a 1995 model - which was 20 g heavier than my forged piston, with less cutaway, I noticed with pistons had the same notches as discussed above, across the pin boss. Its not wear at all, but machining to allow, I'm fairly certain, movement of along the contact face with pin.
    Also replaced the cam belt bearings, checked carefully the gap at the camshaft cover for end float. re ground valve seats.
    I noticed the big end side play was at service limit. ~why that should be so at 10 000 miles, I cannot know, but I imagine its not due to wear, but to original fitting.

The sound is much improved with. What remains of former annoying top end sound is of similar character, much less pronounced and with less ancillary noise, and that remainder I shall put it down to piston slap.

I'm not 100% delighted , though pleased.
    I've only started up for short time, not run-in for long, but I expect that will persist. I do need to improve tickover, but await another valve shim (tomorrow) . I expect some improvement with that, because its at just 1000 rpm which is slow (to stalling).
    However I expect it to persist greater on this horizontal cylinder, than the rear.
    Perhaps its down to the later, lighter forged piston on that cylinder, I don't know, and don't see I can take it further. I don't think scuffing on the lower skirt should be the culprit, and the big end side play shouldn't be either, not with a tight piston pin and rings. It'll probably be OK for riding generally, and safe. Time will tell.

Soon I should look for a larger engine, but I don't want to have this kind of slap to put up with.

#96 chueewowee, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
Do Not Sell My Personal Information