1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St2 Project......hmmmmm

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by West Cork Paul, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Be careful there. The header pipes of the ST2 are a smaller diameter than the ST4.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. I believe ST2/3/4s exhausts are all slightly different but there will be pipes for the ST2, termi, Leo Vince etc.

The plastic fillet plates are a fiddle to remove and replace so easily damaged, keep an eye on breakers sites :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Scottoilers. Soooo last century.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Greta don't like em....

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. The ST2 and ST4 zorsts are interchangeable, the ST3 is different. I had aftermarket cans on mine, can't remember what make now, but they were not too expensive new.
    The panel below the seat going to the read is very fragile at the front where it attaches with a small diameter long bolt. These panels need to be removed when fitting/removing the pannier rack. You will see what I mean when you take them off next.
    The front infill panels around the instrument seem to last providing they are treated gently. I fitted a small round voltmeter into the left side one (above the fuse box) as the ST2 charging system is a bit old fashioned.
    I kept the panniers and rack off my ST2 when I sold it and modified the rack to become a QD rack for the new Supersport, those panniers are really robust.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. 2nd that, it's like it doesn't quite fit and over time the plastic socket that holds the fastener breaks and the panel starts wobbling. I bought a replacement off a breaker for a few quid and it had suffered the same fate so I just got the araldite out :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Thanks Bob, I learnt a lot from your blog, from posts back in 2014/2015:upyeah:

One thing I have experienced already is the ST2 is nowhere near as easy to get it's clothes off as the 748:(. I thought I'd remove the RHS fairing to check the state of the battery and connections, and to get my multimeter on it. What a choreo_O. To get the side fairing panels off I have to remove the nose fairing. To get the nose fairing off I have to remove the mirrors and disconnect the lights:mad:. I think I might be making some adaptations to make life easier whilst i live with it in it's current guise.

8. Welcome to ST fairings :D
    You can make a discreet hole on the upper fairing to get access to the battery +ve so you only need to remove the lower fairing - much easier, also for oil changes if that's all you are doing.
    Mirror removal is the biggest PIA and no way round it I know of :(

9. Ditch that Scott oiler Paul fvcking messy shite, unless your touring mega miles what's wrong with the occasional wipe around with a rag soaked in dirty engine oil ?

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. You might want to convert the fairings to use Dzus fasteners. It involves irreversibly modifying the upper side panels but is well worth it. After the conversion you can remove the side fairings in less than a minute leaving the nose fairing in place.
    The attached files show details of how it is done. The one from Rushjob, who used to frequent some UK forums although I haven't heard of him in a while, is very good.

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  11. Very useful Derek, thanks:upyeah:.

Needless to say when (if:thinkingface:) Cafe Racered the fairings will be dispensed with entirely:)

12. I recently had exactly the same dilemma as you. I was intent on building a cafe racer and set about looking for a suitable donor bike. I eventually found a 900ss that hadn’t been on the road since 08 for £1500. I bought it home then wrestled with my conscience for about a month until I eventually took the angle grinder to it! My reasoning was that it was what I’d bought it for. Pictures are of as purchased and current state of build. Having done 95% of the fabrication work it’s just about ready to strip down, paint and detail.

74340704-4C96-41F0-B2C0-3C05AFA6077A.jpeg

6303AB82-0B18-4628-8944-488E5BC28BD2.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  13. You animal :eek::D looking good, just kidding about the animal bit :upyeah:

14. I bought that bike from Rushjob, and put the engine and wheels into my 851 frame..
    IMG_0208.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Ok, I’ll let him know now and get back to you, cheers.

16. You should start a build thread on that, even if it’s well into the project. Plenty would be interested.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Could you give me a few pointers to breakers that are good for Ducati parts ?
    I'd really appreciate it .

I'm still looking for a few ST4 bits .... especially mirrors , and some locks .
    Original Ducati mirrors are stupid pounds and 95 pence , and there are some American replacements that aren't that much cheaper ....

18. @kev moose breaks them and is worth contacting.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. I know it’s obvious and you probably already do it but just in case......
    Set up very specific eBay alterts (using the filters provided eg condition, location, etc) and save them with alerts set. That way you should not miss out.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information