1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St2 Project......hmmmmm

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by West Cork Paul, Feb 4, 2020.

1. -

Thanks for those suggestions ..... :upyeah:

@kev moose is a good bloke to do business with ...
    I've bought some bits from him before .... fast and efficient ,
    and he knows what he's talking about .... :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. I just found a breaker on a Google search, http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/motorcyclerecycle1

They were reasonably priced and delivered well wrapped so worth a look - I reckon they just happened to have a 2001 ST4 in :upyeah:

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Thanks Paul. I appreciate that building cafe racers and the mods required is quite a contentious subject. I’m sure 90% of forum members would either be supportive or say nothing, but I’m not sure I can be arsed with the people that think and post that I shouldn’t have done it or am doing it wrong.

4. Ducatiparts-online.com are in Holland and I've used them for a few bits with no problems.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. That's a good website .... thanks !

They didn't have what I want on this occasion , but looking at the prices
    of other bits .... it's a potential treasure trove of bargains !

Now bookmarked , for future reference .... :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Today I did a bit of spannering on the ST2. In fact I pretended it was a Norton that had just come back to me and removed everything off it:joy:. Sorry couldn’t resist.

Its had a problem starting along the lines of;
    Press the starter......
    cough.........................
    nothing:cold_sweat:
    cough.......
    fires up - phew:grinning:

and a 'cough' being a brief throat clear 'ahem' not a full throated phlegm clearing cough.

A set of Exact-Start cables were ordered last week and promptly delivered and fitted today. Yayyyyy:D:D now it actually turns over and starts when the button is pressed.

I also fitted an LED daytime running light under the front air intake. Dead chuffed with myself as I managed to wire it into the fuse box so it’s on as soon as the ignition key is turned. Bright as anything but just 0.6w as opposed to the 55w dipped beam which I will now no longer need to have on all the time. With a weedy output generator this is a significant battery preserving farkle.

Also, for some as yet unknown reason the low voltage warning light now extinguishes as soon as the engine starts. I haven’t quite got to the bottom of why it’s changed.

However, not all good news:(, whilst underneath the bike attaching the new starter cables I think I’ve found my ‘sprocket’ problem for this bike. Have you ever seen an exhaust manifold as corroded as this :eek::(

0FF81215-A883-4F0E-8119-380B0E4940CA.jpeg

No, that’s not gunge on there, that’s corroded into that shape, it’s all hard:(, and yes, I have seen what looks like a crack in the photo, I didn’t notice it in the flesh but will be inspecting it more closely in the morning :(.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  7. Oh, one further thing. Both cylinder heads are stamped HZ:astonished: Unless someone can tell me this is normal it looks to me like the vertical one’s been changed at some point and whoever did it picked up one that was originally destined for the horizontal front cylinder. Is there any difference though?

8. Relax Paul, the horiz and vertical heads are different. If a horizontal head was fitted to the vertical cylinder the exhaust pipe would be connected to the inlet, the inlet manifold to the exhaust and the fining would be obviously wrong.
    I'll investigate the HZ markings. I have ST2 heads on my 907ie but it might be a while before I have the fairings off. I just refitted them last week after a the winter service.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. that pic looks nasty dawg!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. dont worry about that!!! get some pics up!!!!!! everyone likes pics. and opinions are just that, nothing to be taken too seriously..

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. plus 1 for kev.. although he doesnt stock alot of "older stuff" he is always worth firing a msg to... good bloke.

12. Thanks Derek, thinking about it, as you say, it just wouldn’t be feasible. Strange one though, I’ll do some research myself.

13. Looks fine for being at sea for20 years ;) sure a bit of dettol and a wire bush will have that looking lovely :thinkingface:

14. I know, that's some serious corrosion on that flange :(

15. You will probably have to wreck the exhaust nuts and studs to get the flanges off. Try using a Dremel with a cut-off disc to cut down through one side of the nut, as close as possible to the threads. You should then find that a blow with a hammer and chisel will loosen the nut and get it off and hopefully leave the studs more or less intact. Access might be a problem for the nut at the back though.
    FYI the exhaust flanges, collets, studs and nuts are the same as for all the air cooled Monsters and SS prior to the DS engine.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Thanks Derek:upyeah: However, don’t forget you are talking to the man who had to use an angle grinder and then a Dremel cutting disk (disks actually, about 6:mad:) to cut through a front sprocket which with subsequent judicious use of a hammer and chisel still refused to detach itself from the output shaft:(.

6B2954BC-5D32-45FA-A850-F76D610AE571.jpeg

Still, looking in the bright side, after Sprocketgate, little nut should be no problem :)

17. I got one cannot wait for this to start. It’s like waiting for Christmas. @West Cork Paul, the gift that keeps on giving. :joy::joy::joy:

(Laughing with you, not AT you mate).

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Yes, you do have more than a little experience with rusty bits and grinders [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. I’ve never been on Grindr in my life :eek:

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. I just had to check that out - I'd never heard of Grindr :astonished:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information