1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St2 Ugly Duc-ling...

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by witchellski, Nov 10, 2020.

1. It's the little things...

Looking at the cockpit of an ST2, it feels like a real departure from Ducati’s usual ‘functional’ layout. The codpiece around the ignition and the vanity panels surrounding the clocks, just feel wasteful…

Cockpit.jpg

I also really don’t like the LCD unit under the traditional clocks. It’s an afterthought and mine was cracked. The fact it was cracked, was the main reason I took it out and I’m so glad I did. On removal, I realised Ducati had used the original instrument housing from the 916 / 748, meaning I could replace the LCD with a gauge instead.

LCD sm 001.jpg

LCD sm 002.jpg

Trawling ebay (again) I found a temperature gauge from a Bimota (I think). I think you’ll agree, the thing looks 100 times better now, with the new gauge and foam.

Clocks sm.jpg

I’ll happily forego the extra information promised by the LCD, by not having to look at it!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Yes much better

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Made a bit more progress recently, so thought I'd post up another update...

My mission was to make the seat unit sit comfortably on the frame and nest nicely into the tank. This required a bit of creativity.

With the seat unit in place (as seen in the last post) I was able to mark out using a Sharpie, where I would need to cut the fibreglass. A bit of Dremel action around the lines soon revealed the shapes. This is a delicate operation, because although you can repair GRP easily enough, it’s much better not to go too far in the first place.

Seat cut sm.jpg

The nice thing about these 90’s bikes, is they incorporate the ‘key release’ meaning you don’t have to fiddle with tools to take the seat off. I wanted to retain that, rather than go 851 style with multiple bolts. This meant trying to us the relevant parts of the ST2 seat.

With some simple butchery skills the ST2 seat undertray (once you also remove the cushion and vinyl cover), fits under the 851 tail section. Just the challenge of getting it to stay there!

Seat pan.jpg

Using a couple of wood screws and a jig to stop the seat unit and undertray moving, I filled the cavity with expanding foam, which after 24hrs went rock solid. Those two parts are NEVER coming apart again. With that done, I could work on the fit against the tank.

I used a fibreglass kit (the kind you get in Halfords) and some masking tape and sculpted the front of the seat unit. It's a messy business, but looks okay... The eagle-eyed amongst you will have spotted the other panels in the background.

GRP seat front.jpg

I have been (roughly) cutting the light housing away to try and accommodate the nose cone fairing, but it really isn't as simple as I thought. I have used up quite a few cutting disks and I'm now almost completely convinced it won't be usable. I was cutting and trial fitting, cutting and fitting to incrementally remove material, but I have just compromised the structural integrity of the casting.

Cut scoop.jpg

A little frustrating, but that's what happens when you are feeling your way.

So, to end this post on a high note... I pulled all the bodywork out and using white masking tape, I mocked it up (before fibreglassing). This was using the hacked light housing and after moving the coil packs. The coil packs were right in the line of the bodywork, so with a bit of cutting and repositioning, are now neatly out the way.

Coil pack sm.jpg

Body Mockup 001.jpg

It's really important to do this and to stand back from the job. If you are working in a cramped space (as I am) it is really helpful to pull the bike out and get a good look at it. For this reason I would recommend, keeping the wheels on it as long as you can. Bit of work required to get the fits right, but not too bad!

I have found a relatively cheap 900ss front light / fairing frame (cheaper than an 851 one, which I would need to modify anyway) on ebay, so will work on that next.

• Like Like x 8
  4. The swingarm was my next challenge... the standard item is a (very) heavy steel one, which looks a little disproportionate and skinny on the bike. Besides the 851 / 888 always had an aluminium one. the style of this is very similar (if not exactly the same) as the early monsters.

However to swap the steel swingarm with the monster style aluminium one would require a significant structural redesign to accommodate the different suspension geometry. A bit of research later I discovered that the ST4S had an aluminium swingarm, that used a very similar box section profile and would fit the ST2 rear shock and struts. Also ebay delivered for less than £50.

steel swingarm.jpg

Out with the old....

swingarm 001b.jpg

Once attached, it was clear that the exhaust was now a problem. With the aluminium swingarm in place my attention was drawn to the MASSIVE cans on the side. They look like they are 6ft long... I needed to do some dramatic chopping!

I cut around 150mm off the end. Thankfully running them through a bandsaw at work, I realised i had judged it just right, missing the major cluster of internal pipes and just clipped the top three. Quite an easy cut. I'll rivet / weld the end cap back on.

swingarm 001c.jpg

A quick dry build with a heavily used 200 section tyre (thanks Ducati Glasgow)... I could test fit the big section tyre with the swingarm and new 'trimmed' exhaust. I am really happy with the results. A beautifully proportioned rear end that looks proper racer, not lazy tourer.

swingarm 001d.jpg

I'm removing the pillion pegs and just using the struts to carry the exhaust. This is a solo machine, so no need to accommodate a passenger! The struts will require some modification to fit neatly with the tail unit.

There will be lots of 'finishing' jobs to do on this bike, when I get round to it, because all my modifications are being roughly mocked up for now. The list is getting very long....

I've got a 900ss front fairing frame / light housing, so I can set about modifying it to suit the classic 851 headlight, combined with the ST2 front loom. Exciting stuff.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Taking shape. Looking forward to seeing the end result

6. I finally got round to the front fairing frame after being suitably distracted by the swingarm.

Having butchered the original ST fairing frame to virtually nothing, I had to create a completely new mounting design for the 900ss fairing frame. This required a few wooden mock-ups before committing to a 3D printed (in attractive pink) sub frame. Mounted on the headstock, I could modify the 900ss frame to suit. This was a logical place to start because I was going to have to adjust the frame / headlight / fairing mounts anyway, so this provided my datum.

Frame bracket.jpg

3D printed bracket.jpg

The 900ss frame is quite different to the original 851 unit, but the headlight is the same. The headlight is mounted higher on the 900ss because the air scoop is under the light, whereas the 851 has an air scoop either side.

The challenge here was finding a solution that would solve the headlight positioning without too much fabrication work. This was done by making a new plastic surround with an extended top mount, allowing for the light to sit down in the ‘851’ position. Again, 3D prints (and a bit of CAD) to the rescue.

Headlight CAD.jpg

Headlight 3D print.jpg

3D printed headlight 02.jpg

The rear stays only required a bit of bending to pick up on the ST coli pack mounts, but meant I had to change the location of the coil packs. Not a big challenge at all.

The biggest challenge, however, was contorting the frame to pick up on the 851 fairing. The mirrors are in a different location on the 851 compared to the 900ss, so I couldn’t use the top fairing as a start point. I had to ‘find’ the right position for the panels using the headlight as a guide. This was as tricky as it sounds and required lots of heating, bending and further heating and bending to manipulate everything into position, but once completed, I think you will agree it looks pretty good.

Fairing Mock up 001.jpg

With the clip-ons under the yoke, there wasn’t enough clearance on ‘lock to lock’ so I moved the clip-ons above the yoke. This is actually much more comfortable too. Bonus.

I finally pulled the bike out onto the road to get a good look around it. I think it is fair to say I have completed my initial mission of achieving an ‘aesthetic’ mock up using the ST chassis and running gear with the 851 aftermarket fairing. It needs some adjustments to pull it into shape and align the panels, but hangs together with no major clashes.

Fairing Mock up 002.jpg

Fairing Mock up 003.jpg

The next bit is making it fit together like a proper motorbike.

• Like Like x 13
  7. Well done You are progressing well. Its great that you have the 3D and CAD facilities, and know how to use them.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pretty cool

• Like Like x 1
  9. Looks good :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  10. All part of the fun... it’s nice being able to solve those little niggles with a modified design and print. There will be a few more before i’m done, for sure!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Are you going to fit the rubber gasket around the headlight that seals it to the fairing?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yes absolutely, I have one ready to go in place. I've already done a test fit and it looks like it'll fit okay.

One challenge I will run into very soon, is incorporating the air scoops. I plan on running hoses from the front of the fairing into the centre of the headstock (similar to the ST setup) but I don't have the scoops. My plan was to CAD something up and print it, but it would be good if someone had a scoop they could measure up and post up a drawing??

I'll add a post to the 851 / 888 forum page.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bit of an update...

I have been completely distracted by another project, namely my M900. I have just stripped and cleaned it and will be painting the tank, tail and mudguard. I'll post up a 'mini project' on the Monster section.

The inspiration for this was reaching the stage of bodywork fit on the ST2 (wanting a break) and the purchase of an ABBA Skylift stand. I used it on the monster first, because it only needed a bit of TLC and I thought that would be a good 'ice breaker' for the new stand.

Since then, I have now moved the stand over to the ST2 and have started the full strip-down. My intention is to pull all the major ancillaries off the bike and get it back to a frame, engine and swingarm, so I can begin the cleaning and servicing of the bike.

It needs for seals and some wiring mods, so I can do those off the bike.

I think however, you will agree the bike looks simply awesome on its stand. Like a Star Wars speeder!!

Abba 002.jpg

Abba 001.jpg

I have also removed the head bearings, which were a mess! Really rusted out and graunchy as hell. I think a list of new parts is the next move before the big clean up.

I honesty couldn't recommend the ABBA stand highly enough. Really good access and packs away to nothing. I used to have a full hydraulic bench and this is just a bit neater.

Will post up some of the smaller item updates as I get round to them.

• Like Like x 4
  14. It’s been a while, but I have been busy… The latest jobs have centred around cleaning and repairing / replacing. The bike has clearly had a bit of a hard life with plenty of owners, none particularly caring! The spark plugs were showing signs of electrode wear and the exhaust clamps were a little loose. Oil was as black as coal (and about as thick) and the sump plug was seized on. All part of the fun.

I have removed the tank, added some quick release connectors to the fuel lines and will set prep it for new (old style) graphics and lacquer. Despite the neglect, the parts are in good shape and the more I dig, the better I get to know the old girl.

I pulled all the hoses off the cooling circuit and replaced the hose clips, so it looks a little fresher. The radiator got a quick squirt of black too. This is a tidy up, nothing more.

Rad 001b.jpg

The exhaust has been welded and rivetted after I chopped 100mm off the length and looks quite smart back on the bike. I also modified the rear footpegs, demoting them to simply exhaust hangers.

Exh 007.jpg

I am at the point where things are going back on and it is really exciting. Ducati’s are beautiful pieces of engineering and are so much fun to work on. I have owned 5 over the years and they just become so familiar.

Another small job, which I am really chuffed with, is the ‘trimming’ of the front tank clip bracket, which also mounts the ignition cover. I have hated the ignition cover ‘cod piece’ since I first laid eyes on it, so it gives me great pleasure knowing it’ll never fit again… Saved 39 grams too! :joy:

Tank Clip cut 001.jpg

Tank Clip cut 002.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  15. Had an great evening sitting out in my garden reading your thread. I thank’s its gonna be cool. But were is the updates?

• Like Like x 1
  16. I was wondering how this was coming along as well.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Apologies for the cliff-hanger! Things have been moving on, so I will post up another update in the next couple of days.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Slowly edging forward now... This was always going to be the case. Quick strip down and measure up, followed by the details.

Anyway, I have actually achieved a lot. On my list was new head bearings, which are now fitted, new seals and oil for the forks (not to mention a coat of gold on the fork tubes) and the fitment of nice ‘original’ black clip ons.

Instruments 001.jpg

I also mounted the new instruments. This was a very time consuming job. Because I changed the headlight from a dual bulb projector setup (ST2) to a dual filament bulb (SS / 888) I hadn’t appreciated the handlebar switch would need modifying too. Luckily the Monster I have, has a dual filament headlight, so by pulling the left hand control (which looks the same on the outside) apart, I could decipher what needed changed to make it work. A case of repositioning a wire.

Front loom 005.jpg

All the front loom wiring had to be routed to suit my new fairing frame and as a result, there was a lot of tweaking, soldering, zip-tying and fabricating to give me the clearances and connections I needed. Despite the fiddling, it was a satisfying job.

With the airbox back on, tank replaced and all the wiring plugged back in, I could test the ignition and lights. All working correctly. The front fairing frame, loom and headlight really starting to look a lot like an early 90’s Ducati.

Lights on SM.jpg

Next stage is to check the thing starts and to do another trial fit of the bodywork.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Another time consumer on the bike was the tail. As I mentioned in the earlier post, I was really chuffed that the seat unit fitted the frame without any metalwork mods. I was really keen to retain the key release mechanism, so that was a mission.

The new rear light was mounted on a steel plate that I fabricated. I was intending to mount the key release mechanism on this plate, but then decided to butcher the old ST casting. I was then able to mount the key release mechanism in the same place it would have been on the ST and simply tweak the ‘pin’ on the seat pan.

I mounted the lock for the seat release on the number plate holder, just under the light, which seemed like a neat location. This set up just needed a new cable and cable sleeve, but as I’ve just rebuilt my push bike, I had a few spare parts available.

tail unit 002.jpg

tail unit 003.jpg

The plastic undertray needed lots of modification, as well as the number plate holder / indicator mount. I’m not completely happy with it, but it hangs together reasonably well. I really love the original big indicators. Better still it all works now.

tail unit 001.jpg

With the all the fitting done, this is the first bit of non original bodywork to be sanded and primed. I have a bit of hardware to add and obviously a seat foam pad to mount. I’m not sure how to do this yet. I might just bond it straight to the seat unit or make a mini seat pan for the foam, which I can bolt down.

tail unit 004.jpg

One last update is a really special one… Up until about 97 / 98 you would find little Elephants, cast into the aluminium, or moulded into the plastic. Belt covers, engine casings and wheels etc. I particularly like the petrol cap Elephant and found one for sale on Ebay. It now sits pride of place one the tank.

Tank Cap.jpg

I’ve had some issues trying to start the bike, but think I might be homing in on the problem so that’s this weekends job.

• Like Like x 4
  20. So, it turns out I had a blockage… Not personally, but in my injector circuit. I forced some fuel through the high pressure hose using a syringe and gave the starter a thumb and she fired right up.

That is a huge relief, because I thought maybe my mods to the ignition circuit had caused an issue, or I’d managed to break something. Anyway, this meant I could get back to the bodywork.

The side panels needed some mounting points at the bottom. The right hand side has a ‘flying bracket’ coming out from the rear brake cylinder, so I mocked up a bracket in aluminium to get the right reach and angles, then made a proper one in steel.

Fairing fit 004.jpg

I did this on the other side, which highlighted an issue with my side stand. It now fouls the bodywork and will need to be adjusted. I’ll get back to that one.

With the panels fitted, I could check there was no fouling around the radiator or battery box. It’s all pretty tight, but seems to be clear. Final touches included finishing all the fixing holes, drilling out the oil level sight hole and prepping for painting.

Fairing Fit 003.jpg

One thing I am a little guilty of is not taking enough pictures. I have put loads of hours into the details of the bike and have not stopped to take photographs of the work. I intend (assuming there is an audience) to do a video of the build. This will show all the work done.

I have started to lay down a coat of red on the side fairings, which appears to be going quite well. I don’t quite remember where I had seen it, possibly a race bike (which reinforces the need to do it), but the insides of the panels will be satin black. It is quite a rough finish on the GRP panels, so this seems to suit it quite well.

Fairing paint 001.jpg

Fairing fit 005.jpg

The picture above shows the finish on the inside of the nose cone. It looks rather smart with the black frame and clocks.

Anyway, more painting this weekend and application of decals. I will try and remember to take some pictures!

• Like Like x 8
Do Not Sell My Personal Information