1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St2 Ugly Duc-ling...

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by witchellski, Nov 10, 2020.

1. I’ll admit now I have limited experience with painting. I have just enough confidence in my ability to do my own bike, but would struggle to have anyone reach for their wallet. With this in mind, I am actually quite pleased with the results of my weekend tucked away in a small spray booth.

They say 90% of the work is preparation and I would agree whole heartedly. The panels I bought were lovely and smooth, so only needed minor prep. That left me around 10% to do.

I painted the Monster earlier in the year and didn’t take the tank back to bare metal. The resulting finish is ‘vintage’ just without the years of weathering. Age appropriate I guess. Anyway, I was determined to do better this time.

Our workshop has many very useful machines and equipment, including a spray booth, which made the decision to do things myself all the more easier. HVLP spray gun and top quality paints. I also have a vinyl cutter, so was able to cut some really simple Ducati logo decals for the panels.

The result?

Panel paint 007.jpg

Panel paint 005.jpg

Panel paint 006.jpg

There are a few drips here and there and a couple of spots where the paint ‘dusted’ causing a bit of a flat finish. I’ll mount the bodywork and use the bike as a jig for the polishing. Should come up really nicely, as I gave it at least three coats of laquer.

The seat pad area is rough, because I’m going to bond the pad right onto the seat unit. I need to work out what to do with the seat pad, because the lines are different on this bike, so the usual 851 / 888 seat pad won’t suit the ST2 tank. I’ll try sketching a couple of ideas up and see what looks best.

Onwards...

• Like Like x 9
  2. Update to come shortly, as the bodywork has been mounted and looks rather good.... :)

The whole concept behind this build was to put a new suit on the ST2, because I am not a fan of the ST styling. No finer suit than that of the 851 / 888 era bikes (in my opinion). Pics etc to follow soon...

• Like Like x 3
  3. I have spent the last year picking away at this project… making decisions on the fly and hoping all the time that the effort would be worth it. I am under no illusion that I can flick up the sidestand and belt off up the road, because there is still a huge amount to do.

I need to do belts, oil and filters etc. I need to finish fairing mounts, seat pad (wonky mirrors) and other bracketry so that will trickle on over the next few months… not great forum fodder anyway, so I think I’ll just crack on.

I feel that I have however reached a point where I can take a stand back and admire the transformation that I had hoped I could achieve. A new suit.

Wheeling it out of the slightly cramped workspace I can immediately see, there are a few panel fit issues that I will address longer term and the decals are beyond subtle, but I’m quite pleased with them.

Aug Build 01.jpg

Aug Build 02.jpg

Aug Build 03.jpg

Aug Build 05.jpg

The saddle needs some consideration, which will take a few goes, but I did a mock up captured in the picture below. I have been trimming away at the shape until I think I've found something that works well with the lines. I'll make up another version with a nicer finish.

Aug Build 06.jpg

It has been a rewarding build and will continue to be over the next months as I tie up the loose ends.

I would love to hear what you guys think about the 'finished' bike as I know trying to use the ST tank with the 851 / 888 body was always going to be a bit of an awkward pairing, but I was never going to know for sure until I did it and I'm really quite pleased.

I have no idea what it will ride like, but that will be revealed at some point in the future!

• Like Like x 8
  4. Looking really good!

• Like Like x 1
  5. I think it’s a very good transformation for what is (for no real reason) a looked down upon bike, keep up the good work and do please keep us apprised of the developments :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks for your comments so far guys... I know I have given the ST a hard time, but it came at a time when I felt Ducati could do no wrong! The ST was just far too sensible...

Sev, I love the scribbles. This is exactly what I do when I see someone else's build. Funnily enough these are just the things you miss when you are so close to the project. I will certainly take your thoughts on board.

The seat is an interesting one, because I would like to make a pan first and upholster it, but I don't quite know how you go about that, so I was just going to stick foam straight onto the tail unit. Any tips / links / ideas from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

7. Thanks for the nudge @Sev

@witchellski I have made some base plates for the 888, which you would need to pad and cover and then bolt to the existing seat base. Here is an example of the base pad and also one I had covered with the right sort of stitching to follow the shape of the tank. The base plate can be bent to the contour you like with the use of a heat gun. F79C3A35-B2A4-4F08-9E0A-F9D2E7D22509.jpeg 1890D164-21AD-4155-9B89-DD8C769BA47B.jpeg 32756380-DAF5-49CD-AAE1-EDB54B5432EA.jpeg F125631D-DC7F-4F4D-A1B1-18898790CDC8.jpeg 9EB00F4E-E3D4-4B64-991F-83DA18286C90.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  8. Excellent guys... thanks @Sev and @Bridgland Both good options, although I can see this taking me longer than the rest of the build! :joy:

9. It's been a while, but I can say with some confidence that the bike will god for an MOT test in the next week or so. I have had a few head scratching moments while trying to get the bike into a roadworthy state, but it all appears to be behaving now.

I will update the group once I'm through the other side! Wish me luck....

• Like Like x 5
  10. Well, barring a couple of advisories (front tyre and a bit of play in the suspension linkage) she passed...

Once I get a bit of a weather window, I'll post up a pic or a walk-around video. Very, very excited!!

• Like Like x 5
  11. I’ve managed a few miles on the bike since my last post and I have to say I’m loving the feel of the thing. Nice power delivery and an excellent soundtrack… I guess they all do that, but with an open airbox, clutch vents and 100mm clumsily chopped off the end of the cans it’s quite a unique 3 piece!

Single Seat.jpg

I’ll be putting quite a few miles on it as the year pans out, as I have a European trip in mind. I’ll maybe put some feelers out with the forum on some good routes.

As part of that plan, I have managed to accumulate a few necessities, including a set of ST2 panniers and of course the ST double seat. My daughter saw the double seat and asked if she could go for a run with me? Well, if her feet reach the footpegs and she holds on tight, I don’t see why not.

Sooooo…. I put the double seat back on, along with the pillion pegs and I have to say I think it’s rather a handsome combination. Party at the front, business at the back!

Dual Seat.jpg

I would love to hear what others think. I still have to add the grabrail, because I changed the taillight the original configuration doesn’t work, but I MUCH prefer the 851 rear light.

It’s potentially quite a versatile old thing now. Dead easy to swap around.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I would love to hear what others think. I still have to add the grabrail, because I changed the taillight the original configuration doesn’t work, but I MUCH prefer the 851 rear light.

It’s potentially quite a versatile old thing now. Dead easy to swap around.

Is that your bike I can see on the front cover of this month's Practical Sportsbikes? If not, it's a dead ringer! Looks like a brilliant build.

#52 Eugen, May 9, 2022
    Last edited: May 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks Eugen… I think so! I’ve tried a few shops and can’t find a copy! I’ll keep an eye out.

The guys from the magazine interviewed me a few weeks ago, so they’ve clearly been busy to make the June issue.

Can’t wait to see it.

14. Got my subscriber copy yesterday. It’s definitely in!

15. Here you go…

2063A968-8EFF-4ABF-9C47-14D3B1BC5A00.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  16. Wow… he did say the camera would make it look good!! Very excited about that.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Well done that man, some transformation & an very intresting read, so far !! ;):upyeah:
    It's funny isn't it that all the "little" jobs seem to take far longer that big jobs !

• Like Like x 1
  18. kudos to your vision and skills, well done!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Great project, you must be chuffed.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Thanks for the comments… I managed to get a copy today! It’s a cracking article, really complimentary and some cracking photos.

Nice way to finish* off the build.

*no project is EVER finished. Fact.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information