1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St4s Upgrade Battery

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by johnny, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Hi Folks, Any one put a larger battery in the ST family.

Standard is YT12B-BS AT 150x69x130
    Looking at MBTX16U AT 151x87x161

Don't want to move the ECU so width is OK. I think I need to mod the battery tray and change a well nut on the fairing. Also thought about slighly extending the fairng arm that takes the main big bolt

PS
    Any one on DucatiMS here. I can't log in and the mod's are not answering

2. If you have one of @Exige 's ExactStart cable kits fitted, can't see why you'd need a larger battery.
    The 210 CCA from a Yuasa AGM battery should be plenty.
    If you don't have a cable kit fitted, get one.
    It's almost certainly the increasing resistance from the oem starting circuit cables causing the problem, not the size of the battery.

3. True :innocent:
    Many people try bigger batteries to no avail and end up causing more issues, common on Aprilia's too where they then have to replace the Reg Rec with a Yamaha unit while still having the original problem of high resistance in the poor from new & deteriorating starter cables :eyes:

4. Thanks Guys

Martin, the MB16AU is longer than the MBTX16U. However yours is less deep.

Cables are not an issue I made my own, besides over that distance it is negligible

5. Yep 17mm more, fouled by the wellnut I think

6. Cables made an enormous difference to my 999, night and and day...

7. Ok I had confirmation that the top of the + terminal shall foul the side vent. back tyo plan b

8. My tape measure and fit the right battery

9. He’s made his own...

10. They appear not to work too well though if he wanted to put a bigger battery in...

11. A Yuasa is about £43.00 from your local Halfords with a forum discount card.

12. With my cable kit, a 4 years old standard size Yuasa AGM starts the bike beautifully.
    The op has made up his own cables but is wanting to put a bigger than standard battery in.
    That suggests to me that his cables are not as effective as they might be at reducing resistance in the starting circuit.

13. Immo was by passed as an experiement when I was fixing the bike. Issue turned out to be the cables...the loom not main cable.
    Getting a bigger battery was a view to adding more storage as an alternative. My choice of Varta was due to the fact that I work with them and know the brand (made by cookson matthey)
    I ran new cables and also doubled them up to help as one of the many steps to get a 16 year old bike to start and run reliably
    Differnece between standard cables and so called high quality could be 1.5% if you were lucky. Obviously clean correctly fitted undamaged ones would be more.
    Bike does not start well as battery is stuffed. On a charger she starts first time

14. Yep had a great guy lend me an ECU with no IMMO. I would tag him here but affraid he would be flooded with calls. One of the 20 or so things I tried

15. My batterys a cheap one 6 years old, made some cables from 16mm tri rated cable over a year ago. Not had to charge the battery since, it's like a different bike.
    Probably gives the sprag clutch an easier life.

16. Have a big set of crimping tools for work (signal engineer but airplane, train, lorry or motor home engineers might be able to help) Or you might be able to get some dies and do it in a vice. Crimps and heat shrink from RS.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. @AirCon is an electrical professional. It might be worth asking his advice...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information