1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Stalling. Tps?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Spjallen, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Hi guys. My bike isn't running how it should. It ticks over at around 1250 but burrbles through that and occasionally stalls. It can stall of its own accord or, and perhaps more worryingly, when I've revved it a little and it's returning to tick over. I've been doing some digging and a tps reset seems to come up as a possible answer. Could somebody walk me through it please? Also, I've had a custom map made and installed, with this be affected? I think its running rich as the exhaust really stinks, and the exhaust pops quite a lot - i guess though unburnt fuel Cheers in advance.

2. TPS reset is easy using either JPDiag/Guzzidiag/TuneECU - Android

Exhaust popping and fuel smell are symptoms of lean running

Your bike may also benefit from the throttle bodies being balanced and the CO trim adjusting.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. If its popping on deceleration/ closed throttle its running lean.

Reset the TPS as Chris suggests and give the bike a good look over with a torch to check the exhaust isnt leaking from a joint.

Are you running a reflashed ECU or a PC3? If its the PC3 check the ground cable hasnt come loose or broken.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Thank you guys. I'm running a pc3. I've had a look round it and the horizontal cylinders throttle body isn't seated too good so maybe leaking through there. The exhaust is solid and appears to be airtight. If reseating doesn't help ill try the balancing and reset. Can I just adjust the fuel in the pc3?

#4 Spjallen, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  5. An engine will stall at idle due to a loose/split inlet manifold. It will also run lean at higher revs, due to the unregulated air entering the combustion chamber.

I am also led to believe that cam timing can be a factor for stalling, as well as the other factors mentioned.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Had a long chat with one of the engineers at woods Ducati in Abergele and he informed me it was the fuel pump. Notwithstanding all the other info I think it's definitely plausible. The airbox is tight now I'm looking for a pump and will change the filter.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. It can be the pump but it could also just be the relay as that controls power supply to the pump.
    The Filter is a suspect also as it has been stood and fuel can go off, blocking the filter. When you put it back together only put in new fuel unless you added new before draining. Last thing you want is a new pump and filter and for it to block up again.

My bike had a new pump fitted when it was being set up on the dyno. Added almost 10% power so was going.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Thanks JC. I will change all those. As I'm looking at a new pump now, which one did you plum for?

9. My 2004 749s also stalls and produces what I can only describe as a slight hiccup just before it dies. Is a TPS reset fairly straightforward if you have the leads or is it best left to the professionals?

10. TPS reset with JPDiag is just a few mouse clicks to do

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Thanks guys. Anyone have a link for the software? App or lap top if possible please.

To be safe, I've returned to the standard plugs, changed the fuel pump relay and fuel filter to come tomorrow. The air box is tight now and there's no leaks anywhere. Earths are all good and the power commanders connections are tight. See if I can get this tps done soon. Will that effect my custom map?

12. Thank you that's ace. I owe you one if this works. Just having a why caption, why does my tps need resetting? What's interfered with it?

13. Thanks Chris, kit and cables ordered.

14. I think most people on the forum owe Chris a drink! Myself included.

Resetting the TPS wont effect the PC3 map. When you reset it make sure the throttle is closed and there is the correct amount of free play in the throttle tube. All resetting the TPS is you telling the ECU that the throttle is closed (should read around 1.3 degrees and not jump when closed in JP Diag).

If you look at the fuel table in the PC3 software you will see a table of fuel v's throttle openings. If the tps is reading say ten degrees more, at 50% opening it would be giving it fuel for 60% throttle etc etc. Resetting it just tells the ECU its closed at that particular angle.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information