1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Stalling When Clutch Is Pulled In

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Nostromo, May 1, 2021.

1. So I’ve finally had chance to ride the 749 dark I bought last year, when slowing down the bike holds its revs nicely, but as soon as I pull the clutch in revs drop to zero, side stand switch, worn clutch?

just another note, clutch seem loud when riding along aswell, don’t remember my other 749 rattling when on the throttle

cheers

Robin

#1 Nostromo, May 1, 2021
    Last edited: May 1, 2021
  2. when you say to zero, you mean engine stalls/stops? A combination of sidestand switch not working correctly and clutch switch working correctly will cause this if clutch lever pulled in whilst in gear. If engine does not stall when clutch pulled in in neutral then a combination of the above or associated faulty wiring is confirmed. It must be an intermittent fault or you would never have managed to ride away.

had to EDIT above, as got this wrong, I believe Derek attached a list of the order of disable/enable combinations to make it easier, but i'm sure with a clear head, we should all be able to work out the above sequences.

#2 Chris, May 1, 2021
    Last edited: May 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. just been out to the bike, clutch switch was not being engaged properly. Will test run later.

cheers :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  4. i've got that wrong, getting rusty! - clutch switch must be working but sidestand switch is intermittent/not working. :upyeah:

5. I’m starting to think this is mechanical, when I pull the clutch in all the way it cuts out, if I pull it just past the bite it holds revs... just.
    I’m going to swap out the plates and springs from my other 749 and see if that makes a difference.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Is the clutch being fully engaged when you pull clutch in,? Have you replaced clutch fluid recently ?

7. That’s a good shout, today was the first time this bike has been ridden in 2 and a half years.

8. I'm just getting my st4 back in order after 4 years away, and yes I had no clutch, hence I have just finished replaced clutch and brake fluids, had to laugh, every nipple was a different size spanner,

• Like Like x 1
  9. Now you’ve added that info, you could well be right! There are several possibilities and one of them can be caused by omitting to fit the thick rubber gasket and the spacers that go between clutch cover and crankcase.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I swapped out the plates and pressure plate from my other project(still quite worn) and fitted new springs and caps. The clutch felt better but still cutting out when closing the clutch fully.
    F5FA753A-72A3-45DF-8FDA-F72E51A08237.jpeg C3ECDB9E-A6A6-499C-A91B-A236A688DFCF.jpeg
    the basket looks worn aswell, I think maybe new plates and basket?
    I then fitted my oberon slave cylinder from the other project, fresh fluid and bled.
    Better feel but still cutting out when the clutch is fully closed, but the window of me pulling in the clutch slightly and holding opened so its made the bike semi rideable, as long as I catch the right point on the lever it doesn’t stall.
    860F25AC-61BB-46A9-B32C-EA5F01608FEF.jpeg

D8F50090-DC8A-43CE-80A3-114796631F9C.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  11. the suggestion re: rubber gasket is not relevant after looking at your pics, Was bearing free/ok in pressure plate?

12. Yeah, but a lot less play when I fitted the bits from my other bike.

13. So, bike on tick over in neutral, not riding it, pull the clutch in and it stalls? Have you tried it with the clutch pack removed to see if it still stalls or not? That should tell you if it's the clutch pack causing issues.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hi

If in neutral and clutch is pulled it still runs, when riding if I pull the clutch fully from very low revs (creeping along/car park speeds)it stays alive, but coming down the revs when riding at road speeds it cuts out when the lever is pulled all the way.

cheers

15. Is it the clutch causing the problem? It sounds like you may have stale fuel in there maybe??

16. New fuel as I fitted a oring to the fuel pump

• Like Like x 1
  17. So, it rides fine until coming up to a roundabout and you pull the clutch in to roll to a graceful stop and it just dies?

What's your idle RPM?

My 999 used to do this very occasionally until I had a custom map put on and it was fine. Then I had a top end rebuild and it started doing it loads, almost unrideable. I did a TPS reset and (touch wood) it's not done it since.

18. Yes, my idle is around 1250 but can slip down to 1000, I removed the fast idle cable from the switch gear and temporarily taped it out of the way as the bike was revving then turning the bars. I have noticed however that when I let of the throttle(rolling forward slightly past its resting position) the revs will drop. Inspect the tube and cables is on my list of things to do. I’m leaning towards getting into the air box, adjusting the fast idle screw and fitting a domino throttle and cables.

20. IMO you should look at the throttle/fast idle cables first, then balance the throttle bodies and reset the TPS.

It doesn't sound like the clutch to me, but I've been wrong before.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information