1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Standard Power Hike

Discussion in 'Monster' started by bradders, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Unless the discs are different?? They are on multi, don’t know on monster. But either way the m50 should fit.

2. Sure the calipers may fit but the M50 discs are larger than the M4-32.
    As an aside, the M4-32 which I had on my Panigale 959 were awesome both on the street and track. No issues whatsoever.
    They just don't have the grabbing power of the M50. Larger discs certainly has something to do with this.

3. Just means you won’t need spacer I’d guess , just fit straight on.

4. I know a few that have changed their M4-32 for M50 and the suspension on their Panigale 959 ( when the 959 Corse wasn't avail) but these were serious track guys.
    They experienced difficulties with the right size master as well.
    These are same guys that have also performed lots of expensive other mods such as BTS or OZ wheels, CF sub-frame, facing faring etc.
    All this to say that changing brakes is not something a Monster rider considering the base model would likely get into IMhO.
    If M50 brakes were the deciding factor for me, i'd just step-up and buy the "S" model and get the Ohlin suspension as a bonus.

#24 DarR, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  5. Like an 848 rider, I think they would. If the brakes are that bad.

Sorry, meant M4 not M50. I think (?) the S has M4 calipers?

6. I've read a few times that M4 were changed on the older bikes. However, few people (other than those racers previously mentioned) change their M4-32.
    The M4-32 (base Monster and 959 Panigale) are really good brakes. They're just not top-specs as M50.

7. I now have conclusive evidence that even the base model is a handful:)
    Last Sunday I rode the 800 scrambler all morning, great fun giving it the beans around the country lanes for several hours.
    In the afternoon I took the 1200 out, I came off an island in the outside lane and a car tried to over take me on the inside lane, I gave it a handful to get out of his way, now obviously my right wrist still thought I was on the 800, due to this it did not open the throttle gently, it just cracked it open, the result was what I think would best be described as an “explosive” wheelie!, so throttled off a bit and the front wheel came down about half way , I put a bit more throttle on to avoid crashing down but up it came again, I the clicked the next gear and it came back to earth in a nicely controlled way, I’m sure that this all looked very impressive (or childish) to the car driver, but in truth I was shitting myself the whole time, I really must learn to ride these motorcycle thingies properly one day:-/

• Like Like x 2
  8. @Mark9 LOL Same happened to me in 2016 on a Ducati demo ride day.
    My regular bike at the time was a Panigale 959 which does not wheelie unless it's deliberate.
    Leader was on a Multi and took-off following a sharp right-hander.
    While in 2nd, I whacked the throttle open to catch-up and you know the rest. Thank the lord for engine compression. Bought a Monster a few months later. :upyeah::cool::innocent:

#28 DarR, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  9. The 1200R will do that in third and well into 3 figures over crests... very childish but good fun...

• Like Like x 1

10. I bet that got the adrenaline flowing :)

11. ha, it definitely woke me up, been out on the M900 today, much more relaxed:)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information