1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Standing Temperature

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Xfin999, Sep 16, 2020.

1. So, at the weekend I did a full service on my 999 changing all the fluids etc and decided to go out for a ride afterwards. I was stuck at some roadworks for 5+ minutes on my hour loop and it was hitting 110-115 degrees C (ambient temp was 22 on that particular day so a warm day to be fair). It's the first time i've been sat in one spot out on the road for so long in 2 years of owning the bike.

The following day I left it turning over on the drive for 10 mins or so it's hitting the same temperatures again.

Should I be concerned or is this normal?

2. Are your fans working? Have you checked the coolant level after the first ride?

3. I think a hight temp on my 999 would be 104 ish. Possible air pocket when topping up coolant? Someone mentioned to me that when topping up they squeeze the hoses with the engine running and then recheck the coolant level. Hope it works out

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. yea fans kick in just over 100. and yes the coolant levels are fine. I'll try giving the hoses a squeeze in the morning.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Interestingly a mate with a Panigale 1299 has been suffering abnormally high temp readings through the recent hot spell. Main dealer couldn't find a specific issue but flushed the rads externally (were a bit gunked up) and internally and they reckon it is sorted now. He picks it up this weekend so the jury is out until then.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. yea my MOT is due soon so I think i'll ask them to properly flush the radiators whilst its in there as i'm guessing there is some crap in it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Do the coolant flush yourself. Easy job and you'll be able to see the quality of the first flush.

I was seeing slightly high temps on my 1199 so cleaned up the rad fins with a brush and hose. Did two full flushes with white vinegar and distilled water. Then filled with distilled water and water wetter. Let the bike run through three full heat cycles with burping and rocking the bike side to side. I'd bet a garage will just empty and re-fill with no extra tlc.

8. Good luck ...BTW they are awesome bikes - love my T9.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information