1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starter Motor Stuck On!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by wadesnj, Apr 13, 2019.

1. The bike was turned off though, so should rule the button out. :thinkingface:

I'll go solenoid too.

2. Could be an ecu fault.
    The ecu controls the one touch start system.

3. If its ecu controlled im pretty sure mine wont work....as mines from an old agricultural hypermotard....as i say i dont remember that extra cable...

4. Took it off this morning to make sure I got the correct replacement. Don't know if they all look like this, the rubber cover doesn't seem to come off so hoping a new (genuine) will come with one, and the actuator lead and plug. At least I can send a picture to Snells for confirmation. IMG_20190414_102902.jpg IMG_20190414_102550.jpg IMG_20190414_102425.jpg

5. Really hoping it's not ecu related!

6. Easy enough to eliminate it, pull the plug on the solenoid and try.
    By pulling the plug it will eliminate the solenoid being triggered by the ecu or the starter button, if it still turns with this plug removed it shows the solenoid is at fault, it's just a process of elimination .

#26 Birdie, Apr 14, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Already removed from bike, going to replace it anyway, then I'll find out if its the ecu!

8. With the ignition off there should be no power to the ECU? so the one touch should also be disabled?

• Like Like x 2
  9. One thing that makes me think it is just a solenoid fault is that I not only turned off the ignition and removed key, but also tried the kill switch - and the starter still churned.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I had this on my 916.Swapped the solenoid.What is this one touch sorcery of which you speak?

11. That sounds right.

12. Press button briefly, starter turns until engine starts. Fitted to a few models apparently.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. But not 916...

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. I've been told 749/999 IIRC.

15. I replaced the one on my 900ss carby some years ago with an Aprilia Mille one, which was meant to be less problematic than the Hitachi (though to be honest I can't remember where I found that info).

As I recall, I had to change the connector on the black plug-in wire, but other than that it's been fine ever since.

16. New solenoid arrived this morning from Nick at Snells in Alton. The original part number has been superceded by an updated part, now 39720012A, and is apparently made by Denso, not Hitachi as before. Hope it's reliable!
    IMG_20190416_100604.jpg

17. Comes with a new cover as well. A bit of a pain in the wallet at £73.28 Inc VAT, but at least I don't have to sod about changing connectors on a generic part. IMG_20190416_101257.jpg

18. How much was it? (soz, ninja'd) I got a nice, almost new condition, one from Rich at Louigi for £27.

19. Unfortunately paid full Ducati price new from Snells £73.28.

20. Ouch, but at least you shouldnt have any issues with it in the future. Nice to know how much they are new though. :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information