1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Starting Issues!

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Curtis Reid, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Thanks for all the responses, but no the clock setting is retained. For as long as I can remember the voltage always fluctuates between 12.3 - 12.5 before starting up... Just this time not a thing happens when pressing the starter, headlights switch off but that's it... No click nothing!

2. My 848 developed a problem with not wanting to start. Turns out one of the Reg/Reg failures had melted a load of wiring in the headlight and it was fixed with a new headlight. Hopefully that isn’t your problem.

3. So...a little update.
    Checked all fuses and all checked out ok, then managed to short the solenoid and the bike turned over a few times. Once it turned over a few times I heard some manic clicking from under the seat as if a relay was clicking on and off, which is where the alarm components are. After that the bike actually turned over a few times with the starter switch but then nothing again.

Next step I may call in the guy that installed my alarm as it just seems like the alarms immobilizer isn't disengaging.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Just awaiting my alarm installer to come and check it out, he presumes the alarm has failed in some way and isn't disabling the immobiliser, which was one of my initial thoughts. Even more so after what I discovered on my last post. Fingers crossed!

• Like Like x 2
  5. So guys...got the issue sorted and as I thought it was the alarm...Datatool sent out a recall on my particular alarm but the notification wasn't sent to me for some reason. Apparently the battery inside the device was from a bad batch and had started leaking inside the unit and depending on the orientation of the device it corrodes the pcb causing the immobilizer to fail in most circumstances. He changed the unit out and boom, fired into life straight away.

6. Glad it's sorted, free as well!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yep, can't beat that! I'm glad but don't think the weather wants me out on it...more snow on the way apparently!

8. Know what you mean, I've not been out on mine this year (manages an hour or so on Christmas Eve!). Started it yesterday though, still sounds good.

9. Glad you got it fixed but slightly confused/banging head against wall at same time.

10. Hope this clears it up... It's part of the Datatool recall that they sent out but I didn't get!

"Important Safety Recall - Message from Scorpion Automotive Ltd’s Datatool S4 C1 Red & Triumph Approved Accessory Alarm system (Thatcham Listed motorcycle alarm/immobilisers) - 20th Jan 2017

Some systems manufactured from April 2013 to February 2016 may suffer issues which ultimately lead to the motorcycle becoming immobilised. Early symptoms can include the alarm becoming difficult to disarm, making unexpected bleeps when arming/disarming or its LED glowing faintly when the alarm is disarmed. If the alarm is already exhibiting any of the symptoms, do not ride your motorcycle.
    Customers are asked to check the alarm serial number (as found on their installation certificate, the underside of the alarm unit, or a sticker on the user guide)."

So there you have it... And my alarm unit did fall into that range so as soon as it was swapped out... Boom it fired into life!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information